Newbie after advice

Jay_Forme
Jay_Forme Posts: 132
edited March 2016 in Road general
Hi guys, new to the forum so I'm introducing myself and also asking for advice.
Been cycling about 3 years now on my trusty Former Axe Edge Sport.

Question I have is I'm due a new company car, and I can't install a roof mount. I'm going to be picking from the list the Audi A3 sportback, is there a interior way of securing my bike in place?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Fold the seats down and chuck it in, pad with a blanket if necessary. Loads of room in them.

Or do you mean locking it? I suppose you could fix to the luggage hooks but if they've already got in to the car I imagine they'll get through a standard lock.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I can get my bike in my Fiat 500, you'll be fine!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're going to be on the road a lot - I'd get a car with a bigger boot. Wheels off the bike and it'll be out of site.
  • Ask for rear tinted windows. That will hide most things.
  • Jay_Forme
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately a car with a bigger boot isnt going to happen, it was either the Seat Leon, Audi A3 sportback or VW Golf.
    Window Tints is a great idea, i never thought of that.

it was more a case of securing it down so when i drive it doesnt move about, last thing i need is damage to the bike or car when taking a corner.
    packing out with a blanket is also a good choice, can also cudle up with it if i get lonelly.

cheers guys.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If your bike is likely to get damaged going round a corner - you're driving waaaaaaaaaaaay too fast and you'll end up killing someone. Just because it's a company car AND an Audi doesn't mean you have to conform to the jokes...
  • Jay_Forme
    Can we stick to the issue of advice on an A3 interior secruing method rather than be judgemental about my driving speed or style.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately a car with a bigger boot isnt going to happen, it was either the Seat Leon, Audi A3 sportback or VW Golf.
    Window Tints is a great idea, i never thought of that.

it was more a case of securing it down so when i drive it doesnt move about, last thing i need is damage to the bike or car when taking a corner.
    packing out with a blanket is also a good choice, can also cudle up with it if i get lonelly.

cheers guys.

I've carried my road bike in the back of my Fiesta a load of times, no issues with it moving around. You just have to be aware that it's there and take corners at an appropriate speed.
  • Jay_Forme
    Thanks Mark, i have never carried a bike in the back before so was a little worried.

i guessed that it would be sat on the pedal being the most outward point and spin around causing movement, just didnt want to take a round about and find it spinning on the bottom bracket and bouncing off the back doorcards.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you are going to drop the back wheel (which may be necessary) then you may find that a tensioner is a good idea for keeping things tidy/clean. I use one and they don't cost a lot.
  • Jay_Forme
    oh i like the look of that!

was hoping to just have to drop the front wheel but should i need to drop both i will be getting one of these.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    oh i like the look of that!

was hoping to just have to drop the front wheel but should i need to drop both i will be getting one of these.

With my Fiesta if it's just me in the car I can get the bike in without removing wheels if I push the passenger seat all the way forwards.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Of the cars you mention, all will comfortable take a bicycle, although the Golf and Leon (in estate form) offer moor luggage space than the A3 in 'pretend-estate' Sportback form.

All cars have a similar bloodline, so much of the difference will be in spec, engine size, badge envy and perception. If you want a good boot, I'd go for the Leon or Golf estate.

As to space - others have already noted that a bicycle will fit in most cars. Whipping wheels off is the work of a few seconds and often makes the components easier to seat within the boot in a non-rattly, non-stressing way.

As others have said, if load shift under cornering is your concern, then you may prefer to think about your approach to cornering. A bicycle is not a jug of fresh milk. Driven (even cornered with verve) at legal speeds, a car will not cause damage to a bicycle.

Blankets and maybe an old sofa cushion are often a good thing to have around for protecting the load.

Have fun and enjoy the new car and the rides.
  • I used to have a 106 and with just the front wheel removed and the rear seats down my bike fitted in relatively easily.

One blanket underneath and one on top and there shouldn't be any movement to worry about.

The blankets will also protect the interior of your car from any oil or sharp bits.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Jay_Forme
    The only option with the golf and Leon is the basic hatch, as i do not need an estate for my work, its not on the option list.
    But for some crazy reason they would be willing to upgrade to either the S line (Audi), FR (Leon) or GTI (Golf) for extra speed, but not an estate for extra room.

99 time out of 100 I will be using my car alone travelling to a sportive or cycle weekend so the back seats can be laid forward, if i can save the hassle of removing either wheel that would be perfect.

As mentioned above though, i was just unsure about the contact point to the boot being the pedal. This i imagined would spin on the Bottom Bracket causing movement, but a blanket and cushion should prevent this.

Guess i need to get the car order in.
  • I have had my bike in the back of a 2 door mini, with me in the back and 2 f/seat passengers...!!
    Quite cosy, but I was being "recovered" after an unrepairable mechanical!
    I wouldn't want to do a long journey but it fitted with just the front wheel off...and me watching the drive home through the rear spokes...oh and listening to wife/daughter berate me for daring to need recovery!!
    All things being equal I think with a bit of manoeuvring most cars will take a bike minus 1 or both wheels, as for hiding/leaving it in there...why would you...no car is a safe place to store a decent bike...period.