Garmin Connection Problems

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited March 2016 in Road general
I am using a Garmin to monitor , my rides and statistics.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the inability for my Garmin unit via my laptop to connect to Garmin Connect...frozen screens etc.

I am only using the Garmin Connect as an interface into Strava so I am quite happy to 'miss out' Garmin and of possible load my ride stats. direct from the Garmin into Strava, as I am not particularly computer literate, is this possible and if so how do I do it.

Thanks

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do you use Garmin Express?

Mind you, nothing much is working with Garmin today - trouble connecting with their servers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    My Bluetooth is playing up. Used to upload instantly, now I have to keep turning it off an on again, IT crowd style.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Paul 8v wrote:
    My Bluetooth is playing up. Used to upload instantly, now I have to keep turning it off an on again, IT crowd style.

Forget the device from your phone and from your Garmin, then re-pair them
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    You can upload direct to Strava from Windows or OS X - use the Choose Files button to navigate to the activity in Garmin/Activities on the device.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Are you using the old version of connect or new?
    I've been using the old version as I don't like the layout of the new one but from yesterday the option to do this has gone.Maybe phasing out the old version is what is causing the problems?
  • As above you can manually import the fit file via Strava if it doesn't work. Done it a few times. Wspecially with the upgrade to the latest windows.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    My Bluetooth connection between Iphone 5s and Garmin 520 doesn't ever work properly.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive i wear when running (and small bike journeys) and over the last month the bluetooth sync to my iphone has been shocking.
    I have had to remove and reconnect no end of times which takes away the joy of a quick sync device.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Somethings broken on it, I gave up an imported the file manually which did the job
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you open Garmin Connect and Garmin Express it will them auto-upload to both Garmin an Strava..at least mine does.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    If you're having issues than simply connect your Garmin directly to the computer, the Garmin should mount like any SD Card. In Strava's website you can then choose a manual file upload. Job done.

I use an iPhone and the Garmin app (Garmin Connect) seems to be updated fairly often at the moment, so Garmin must be giving it some TLC. When I get home I save the ride on the Garmin, enable Bluetooth on the phone and they seem to pair almost instantly and by the time I've put the bike away the ride is on Strava, via the Garmin Connect website. All pretty simple really. This is great for when I'm riding abroad and I haven't brought any laptop with me.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Connecting my Garmin 520 via usb cable is the quickest way of dropping a ride into Strava or Golden Cheetah.
    Bluetooth via the phone works for a while then doesnt work for a while, then works for a while... I'd rather Garmin kept their firmware updates to not cripple my devices than have their , well not exactly exciting Connect site up and running.
    I certainly do NOT update my Vectors pedals via the 520 either. recipe for total disaster.