Wireless speakers - any recommendations?

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
Totally non bike-related query, but I am sure there are a few techno-nerds here who might be able to assist!

I am looking for some compact wireless speakers to plug in to my Crosley record deck (which has a fairly tinny built in speaker) and to sync with mobile devices to play downloaded music. I would like proper stereo speakers, probably prefer something that can be plugged in to the mains and they need to be fairly compact. My wife just bought me a pair of Sony SRS-X11 which are pretty good - Bluetooth works well and I like the fact that they pair with each other without needing a cable. Downside is the bass is pretty much non-existant. They are also far smaller than I need them to be - would happily have something 10 to 15cm high or maybe even a bit bigger if it delivered a powerful and dynamic sound. So basically, I would like something similar but probably a bit bigger and with a richer sound. Does anyone have any recommendations, ideally for a similar price?

Cheers

Mat

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If you can stretch the budget slightly then get a Sonos Play 5 (the Play 1 and 3's don't have an AUX in for the Crosley)

(could maybe get a 2nd hand 1st gen version for not too much)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bigmat
    I'll have a look into that. Is that a pair of speakers for a proper stereo sound? Or is that not what people go for those days? I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to audio equipment!
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Its a single unit with multiple speakers enclosed, so stereo sound. Sonos speakers a generally very good though, and can be paired up with additional units for multiroom, or just improved sound in one room.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If you're a dinosaur then the Sonos Play 5 is not only enough, it will blow your mind. And with that in mind, you don't need a stereo pair of them. One will do. Pop down to your local audio dealer and get them to demo it for you. I'm not an audiophile per se but I was once upon a time. There is a compromise, of course, but the Sonos 5 is quite quite brilliant.

(Question though, do you have a) a router b) lots of stuff ripped to your PC and/or c) an Apple or Google Play music sub?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bigmat
    I think its probably way more than I need to be honest. Just want a pair of speakers that are better than the tinny built in one, with the added benefit of being able to get them to play stuff wirelessly from my phone. Sonos sounds good, but if I had that kind of money spare I would probably be spending it on my bike!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    In that case I'd probably opt for this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundTouch ... words=bose
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sonos my arse, Cambridge Audio look no further my friend.

My friends 40th a couple of years ago I rocked up with the smallest unit I have and it blew away the band shed hired.

I also got rid of my entire Harmon kardon surround sounds system for a plain stereo sound bar just amazing sound quality.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Leftfield choice: Lepai 2020 amp, any n-way audio switch, a cheap bluetooth receiver and a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 9 speakers. Looking at around £100 total and will sound so much better than any 'lifestyle' integrated setup, with option of adding a Chromecast Audio for more featured streaming or upgrading speakers or the amp to something like a Topping T21 if you want even better sound.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    itboffin wrote:
    Sonos my ars*, Cambridge Audio look no further my friend.

My friends 40th a couple of years ago I rocked up with the smallest unit I have and it blew away the band shed hired.

I also got rid of my entire Harmon kardon surround sounds system for a plain stereo sound bar just amazing sound quality.

I bought my wife a Minx Go last year, it's amazingly good for the money/size! Well worth 100 quid.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Are we still talking stereo equipment?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Worth looking at a couple of UE booms - you can sync a pair together wirelessly as a stereo pair. Sound and bass is pretty good. They are also waterproof if you want to use them outside. Look like a better version of what you have so seem to fit what you were asking for.

Sonos is great but despite the clever tricks, one box doesnt properly create a stereo soundstage - the speakers are just too close together to do anything other than pretend. Thats not to say that they dont sound great but thats not what the OP was asking for and I doubt they want to spend what it would cost for a proper stereo setup. For multi-room, they would be top of my list.
  • I have a Cambridge Audio Minx Go. Amazing sound for the size and price. We had a bit of a sound off in the office between this, a Bose Soundlink and another that I can't remember the name of.
    The Cambridge audio wasn't as bass heavy as the Bose, but I thought the Bose was too bass heavy, and with the Cambridge audio at about half the price, with a 16 hour battery life, it was difficult to argue with.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I'm no audiophile but just bought one of these and it sounds pretty damn good to me

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/a ... 150/review
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I see there are a couple of recommendations for the Cambridge Audio Mix Go. I have one and it's loud but, frankly, not very nice to listen to. The bass is muddled and not very deep; the mid-range is lacking any warmth. Basically, it's harsh and shouty and tiring to listen to for any length of time. Somehow it makes Vivaldi sound like ACDC. Now the Minx Go sits in a corner, listening to a Denon Envaya Mini singing away like an angel. It's so much more melodic than the Minx Go and, despite being half the size, has much deeper bass, without sounding like a stag party in Benidorm like the UE Booms do. It's a little tube, about the same size as two of your X11s and costs about £100. It's worth a listen.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got the Bose Soundlink Mini - I wanted a small speaker to take away in our camper or on holiday ... mines the mark 1 not the mark 2.
    It's slightly bass heavy, but you can tweak that down at source - but being bass capable is a big plus - I'd rather tweak it down than up ...
    I'm mostly playing jazz or celtic folk music - and it's very capable of doing that, with good clarity too - something historically missing in small portable speakers.
    If I'd had this earlier I wouldn't have bought the Bose Sounddock as that's been just about redundant since getting the mini - the sounddock is better audio quality, but not that good to warrant both ...
    I can't remember the last time I turned on and used my HiFi ... :(