Sunshine yeah !

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited March 2016 in Road general
Lovely day today, great ride around the Sussex Downs on a bike without mudguards :D

Initially 5 degrees but it warmed up when...yes, the sun came out.

Spring has sprung, soon be in shorts sweating in the summer riding carbon - hurrah :lol:

(Just saying.....)

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Yes it was lovely up here in the Derbyshire Peaks too. Lots of cyclists out but also lots of angry divers!
  • Lorez
    Lorez Posts: 23
    It was so good I had to stop after a 10 miles to take my gloves off!
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Not a cloud in the sky yesterday afternoon in Oxfordshire.
    Enough riders about.

Been proper looking forward to spring/summer this year. Got my first road bike in Oct last year so only ever rode in the winter with numerous layers on
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I did 40 on Saturday and 60 on Sunday, very pleasant in the sunshine.
    There were quite a few people riding in shorts and short-sleeved tops, the temperature never made it above 10 degrees, phwee what a scorcher.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    dstev55 wrote:
    Yes it was lovely up here in the Derbyshire Peaks too. Lots of cyclists out but also lots of angry divers!

Didn't see any divers but there were some drivers hurling abuse on their way to Matlock for chips on Saturday !
    Bit of sun and everyone goes mental on the A6.
    Went round Tutbury and Repton on Sunday and its much calmer out there.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Picked the wrong weekend to pick up the 'flu!
  • dstev55
    Galatzo wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

Didn't see any divers but there were some drivers hurling abuse on their way to Matlock for chips on Saturday !

Haha you know what I mean!

That's exactly where we had trouble mate, A6 between Matlock and Duffield. There were 8 of us out but at one point we were in a perfect single file line and still got abuse hurled at us!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Yeah indeed! First time out in ages without a windstopper jacket and long tights.

I even took the guards off and swapped back to road pedals/shoes instead of winter MTB boots. Still needed full finger gloves though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    dstev55 wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

Haha you know what I mean!

That's exactly where we had trouble mate, A6 between Matlock and Duffield. There were 8 of us out but at one point we were in a perfect single file line and still got abuse hurled at us!

Classy lady hung out of the passenger window of a white Vauxhall Insignia just before Ambergate early afternoon and shouted about being late for chips or something.
    You just know they behave like that in the rest of their lives and despair that they can breed without restriction :!:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Like a tool I went out early Saturday in normal winter clobber, it was cold an foggy, by about mid day I was sweating like a pig, the term over dressed fits well. Not quite sure the worlds ready for pasty legs just yet though may just go with 3/4 lengths an gilet instead of a jacket for now.
    But yes great to be out in the dry an be able to hammer into some descents for a change.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Yes! Time to get the razor to the legs again?

Couldn't get out at the weekend, was in Amsterdam until sunday afternoon, although I'm not complaining! Nice weather there as well, but bloody cold though.
    Did contemplate hiring a bike for a day or two, but thought better of it after a few hours as a pedestrian.
  • homers_double
    I may be turning towards the dark side but I'm yet to razor my legs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Was nice and warm when I was out Saturday but unfortunately my rear mudguard decided to become detached on a descent and get wedged between the brake and the wheel while I was doing 35mph, causing the rear wheel to lock up and the bike to violently fishtail until the tyre wore through (a £45 GP4Seasons) and the inner burst. Somehow managed to not die but left with a 25 quid taxi ride home and a bent rear brake (think the bike might have fared worse if it wasn't steel).

Went for a nice safe run in the sun on Sunday morning :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It was a lovely day but there was a nasty wind over here. If you could forget you were wearing tights, a wooly base layer and a long sleeve jersey you could pretend it was warm.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Was lovely at Sherwood Pines today too, plenty out. Really felt like a summers day!
  • dstev55
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Was nice and warm when I was out Saturday but unfortunately my rear mudguard decided to become detached on a descent and get wedged between the brake and the wheel while I was doing 35mph, causing the rear wheel to lock up and the bike to violently fishtail until the tyre wore through (a £45 GP4Seasons) and the inner burst. Somehow managed to not die but left with a 25 quid taxi ride home and a bent rear brake (think the bike might have fared worse if it wasn't steel).

Went for a nice safe run in the sun on Sunday morning :)

Think I'll continue to get dirty clothing rather than use mudguards!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Ill give you there was some sunshine,which fooled me into thinking it was warmish and meant I took a slight Autumnal/Spring choice to my attire, but it werent warm, 2-3C due to windchill and I was absolutely frozen solid by the end of it, Ive been cold on my bike before but never anything like that which meant I spent the best part of half an hour recovering post ride under a duvet, just to get my core temperature back upto something vaguely normal.
  • homers_double
    Average temperature on this mornings ride was 2 degrees according to my Garmin.

I was wearing a short sleeved poly prop base and a long sleeved merino base with an Endure FS260 jacket over the top and bib shorts. Pretty cool to start with but once I was up to speed I was just about warm enough.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Absolutely beautiful weather here in West Cornwall, finally got out for a session after a crazy week at work.Only just over 21 miles but for me it's the end of winter and now time to get as much time on the bike as I can.
    Wind was icy and was pretty cold when I got home but just felt so good to get out.