Electric DH bike...eh??

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited March 2016 in MTB general
Hiya
Came across this in the catalogue for my local "all the gear no idea" rip off joint before it went in the bin:
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Haibike-xD ... l-PRO-2016
Help me out here...im assuming a team of designers, developers, sales people at some point would have had a chat about if such a monstrosity had a market, and they obviously think it does. I can understand an electro xc/am bike, even enduro at a stretch...but who the feck would buy (at 7k!) an electro full on 200mm DH bike???? The kind of terrain needing such a bike is really not the place to be climbing - with or without a battery!!
Unless...you cranked it on going down :P

Comments

• I would guess it's to avoid the need for an uplift to the top?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    :shock: 25kg! :shock:
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    I would guess it's to avoid the need for an uplift to the top?

Thats the thing...the kinda trails - as far as i know - than need a DH bike are proper, steep gnarly Alpine (or I guess Scottish/Welsh) mountains. Getting to the top in such places is normally a minimum 200m slog of never-ending steep switchbacks...with 200mm forks, a 25kg bike, even with the battery...Urghh. No thanks.
    Why would you rather do this than use the uplift? The battery would negate any sense of accomplishment. Money? Ha, if you can afford 7 grand for a bike, im sure a €30 day ticket isnt gonna be a problem!!
    Daftest thing ive ever seen...
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Und you want to get up the hill properly without uplift service get an enduro bike, not a weird heavy battery thing
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Downhill bikes are going seriously light now, under 35lb isn't unusual. A 25kg / 55lb bike is going to ride like a real tank.
    Most places without an uplift are shorter tracks where the push up is 15 - 20 mins. A motor would make it easier but only good if your mates have one as well.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Lets all just calm down. I mean come on.....it's technically not 7k....I'd call it a bargain
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    You may as well just buy an electric dirtbike. There's plenty of them available now. It's not like the pedals are of much use on that thing. You may as well ditch the drive train to save weight and just run a thumb trigger throttle to make it go up hill and run pegs instead of pedals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True, but the bike as listed (no mods) it is an E-bike legally, an electric dirtbike to be ridden in a place to which the public have access needs to be registered and insured.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Poitr wrote:
    You may as well just buy an electric dirtbike. There's plenty of them available now. It's not like the pedals are of much use on that thing. You may as well ditch the drive train to save weight and just run a thumb trigger throttle to make it go up hill and run pegs instead of pedals.

Handling would be worse with pegs. Plus you want to be sprinting lots on a DH bike. Where's the fun in having an electric motor?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where's the fun in having an electric motor?
    But isnt that the problem with any e-bike, they are bought by people who don't actually enjoy cycling (like my next door neighbour), they buy it as a cheap mode of transport not as a cycle 'plus'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.