The roads

gedme
gedme Posts: 68
edited March 2016 in Road general
Hi new to this site thought see how get on in forum. How's everybody finding the roads at this moment? I am in Dundee last three times been out have had three punctures two today :twisted: what a nightmare some roads are. Had road bike for under a year did lot of cycling including 110 big belter without one single puncture then bang three in a row.... Doing etape this year as least if I get puncture will be quick changing it with all this practice.
Ged

Comments

• Am near Edinburgh. The roads are lethal is how I find em. The potholes have just broken both my riding buddies elbows, so solo for me for a while.

Carbon wheels ? no chance :)
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Hi Ged
    Welcome To BR.
    I can sympathise (see my other post this morning) although my blowout wasn't, I don't think, due to the roads.
    No magic solution, just a combination of reasonably puncture-resistant tyres, careful fitting (I have definitely had repaet punctures before from careless fitting), and eternal vigilance on the roads.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wide tyres are the way forward. 25mm minimum for me. Much wider on my cross bike.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    First ride on my nice bike yesterday, after five months of cruising around on 28cc tyres running at 80psi. Hadn't realised just how much cushioning those tyres were giving, running 25's on stiff carbon rims felt like a pummeling.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Hey Ged - I'm in Dundee too - where are you picking up the punctures?
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    UK roads are truly awful - just missed a pothole yesterday that would be better classed a canyon it was so big.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I think they're mostly in his tyres ;-)
  • I'm from Dundee and the roads aren't too bad at the moment, other than the numerous potholes everywhere. They were alot worse nearer the tail end of last year and the start of this year when we had all those storms. I had a spate of 7 in 2 weeks, across two bikes and 3 wheelsets. Soul destroying.

I tend to ignore the cycle paths and stay on the roads most of the time as the cycle paths tend to be covered in general crap and more than an insignificant amount of glass. For example, take the viewing deck down at the city quay round the back where it joins with the main path. Almost always some glass about there as I think youngsters go up there and then drop their bottles ... could be wrong, but I've seen them up there a few times.

It's also not the first puncture I've had on the Tay Bridge walkway caused by a loose screw from the new surface they've just installed.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    gedme wrote:
    Hi new to this site thought see how get on in forum. How's everybody finding the roads at this moment? I am in Dundee last three times been out have had three punctures two today :twisted: what a nightmare some roads are. Had road bike for under a year did lot of cycling including 110 big better without one single puncture then bang three in a row.... Doing etape this year as least if I get puncture will be quick changing it with all this practice.
    Ged

The thing you neglect to mention is what has been the cause of the punctures? Punctures invariably happen because of something specific, such as a thorn/flint or an impact puncture (often referred to as a "Snakebite" due to the evidence left). It could be that you have had one puncture...but failed to identify the source (such as a small shard of glass that is still stuck in the tyre) and it is that which is causing the repeated issues.

As a trick, when you are at home, line a distinctive mark (such as the brand logo) on the tyre alongside the tube valve. Then, when you puncture take a few minutes to line the tube up against the tyre, locate the puncture and then, if it is a single hole, check the tyre in that area. Don't forget to reverse the tube and repeat as it could lie in either direction from the valve.

If the puncture is on the inside of the valve line (of you see what I mean) then it could be an issue with the rim/spoke, etc. Outside of the valve line usually indicates a tyre issue.

If you are getting repeated snakebites then have a good look at the rim to ensure that no sharp edges are left and either avoid the potholes and/or check tyre pressure (although I have found that if one twonks a pothole then it doesn't really matter what the pressure is, to a large degree).

Finally, just get into the habit of checking tyres carefully once a week and remove any ingress. Those small shards may not look much but they will work their way through a tyre over time and can be the hardest to find once on the inside of a tyre. Be careful though, a small pin works well but too much force in removing can leave a tyre badly cut up, particularly if the tyre compound is prone to this (Conti GP4000sII, for example).
  • gedme
    Am near Edinburgh. The roads are lethal is how I find em. The potholes have just broken both my riding buddies elbows, so solo for me for a while.

Carbon wheels ? no chance :)
    Hi yup I check tyres before I go out and when get back well check whole bike... roads broken up so you get small stones lying all over this is I'm sure gave me first puncture second was a pot hole I took eye of road looked back managed to avoid main part but hit edge of it... first puncture had in a year.
  • gedme
    edited March 2016
    bompington wrote:
    Hi Ged
    Welcome To BR.
    I can sympathise (see my other post this morning) although my blowout wasn't, I don't think, due to the roads.
    No magic solution, just a combination of reasonably puncture-resistant tyres, careful fitting (I have definitely had repaet punctures before from careless fitting), and eternal vigilance on the roads.
    Hi yeah very true. I noticed how pot holes or road break up leaves small stones spread out over road I went over one and this caused first second well truthfully I took eye of the road and hit pot hole lucky never damaged wheel. I just think roads are really bad with all the rain and frost and if course council does not have funds for repairs. I admit still new to road biking so probably should be more vigilant. Thank you for the welcome.
  • gedme
    edited March 2016
    Fenix wrote:
    Wide tyres are the way forward. 25mm minimum for me. Much wider on my cross bike.
    Hmmm yeah must admit I'm good at fixing or replacing tubes now... :D
  • gedme
    Stueys wrote:
    First ride on my nice bike yesterday, after five months of cruising around on 28cc tyres running at 80psi. Hadn't realised just how much cushioning those tyres were giving, running 25's on stiff carbon rims felt like a pummeling.

Was out again yesterday all good phew thankfully.
  • gedme
    Hi cycled to Arbroath done it few times one I like to do if I don't have much time. I cycle all over this area normally ok but just noticed roads seem to be getting worse.
  • gedme
    deejaysee wrote:
    UK roads are truly awful - just missed a pothole yesterday that would be better classed a canyon it was so big.
    Hit pot hole once on my old bike ended up over handle bars burst nose bruised ribs and big scrape on hand looked like I had been given a going over by Tyson :P maybe should pay attention....
  • gedme
    bompington wrote:
    I think they're mostly in his tyres ;-)
    Ha ha yes tyres :D
  • gedme
    I'm from Dundee and the roads aren't too bad at the moment, other than the numerous potholes everywhere. They were alot worse nearer the tail end of last year and the start of this year when we had all those storms. I had a spate of 7 in 2 weeks, across two bikes and 3 wheelsets. Soul destroying.

I tend to ignore the cycle paths and stay on the roads most of the time as the cycle paths tend to be covered in general crap and more than an insignificant amount of glass. For example, take the viewing deck down at the city quay round the back where it joins with the main path. Almost always some glass about there as I think youngsters go up there and then drop their bottles ... could be wrong, but I've seen them up there a few times.

It's also not the first puncture I've had on the Tay Bridge walkway caused by a loose screw from the new surface they've just installed.
    Yeah cycle by discovery a lot on way to work and have just missed broken glass. Cycle paths are ok but don't get maintained in my opinion but maybe I should pay more attention as well.
  • gedme
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    Hi new to this site thought see how get on in forum. How's everybody finding the roads at this moment? I am in Dundee last three times been out have had three punctures two today :twisted: what a nightmare some roads are. Had road bike for under a year did lot of cycling including 110 big better without one single puncture then bang three in a row.... Doing etape this year as least if I get puncture will be quick changing it with all this practice.
    Ged

The thing you neglect to mention is what has been the cause of the punctures? Punctures invariably happen because of something specific, such as a thorn/flint or an impact puncture (often referred to as a "Snakebite" due to the evidence left). It could be that you have had one puncture...but failed to identify the source (such as a small shard of glass that is still stuck in the tyre) and it is that which is causing the repeated issues.

As a trick, when you are at home, line a distinctive mark (such as the brand logo) on the tyre alongside the tube valve. Then, when you puncture take a few minutes to line the tube up against the tyre, locate the puncture and then, if it is a single hole, check the tyre in that area. Don't forget to reverse the tube and repeat as it could lie in either direction from the valve.

If the puncture is on the inside of the valve line (of you see what I mean) then it could be an issue with the rim/spoke, etc. Outside of the valve line usually indicates a tyre issue.

If you are getting repeated snakebites then have a good look at the rim to ensure that no sharp edges are left and either avoid the potholes and/or check tyre pressure (although I have found that if one twonks a pothole then it doesn't really matter what the pressure is, to a large degree).

Finally, just get into the habit of checking tyres carefully once a week and remove any ingress. Those small shards may not look much but they will work their way through a tyre over time and can be the hardest to find once on the inside of a tyre. Be careful though, a small pin works well but too much force in removing can leave a tyre badly cut up, particularly if the tyre compound is prone to this (Conti GP4000sII, for example).
    Hi apologies I was cycling to Arbroath and part of it was beside houses being built road was covered in mud and small stones one which burst my tyre, second I took my eye off the road and hit edge of a pot hole. I do check tyres and wheels but maybe not as often as I should. Thanks for all tips I have not been road cycling for long but love getting out now did big belter last year and etape this year so all help welcomed... one thing if I get any punctures I'm getting quite good at changing them.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    So this boils down to having 2 punctures in a day, both snakebites due to hitting a stone and then a pothole. I would check the pressure in your tyres. Do you use a track pump and, if so, what pressure are you running. The main factors then are weight and tyre width. For example, I run 70f/80r on 25s and weigh 65kg. I always check pressure before leaving the house.

I suspect that the second puncture was probably due to under inflation at the roadside which is quite common. Many suffer multiple impact punctures after a single puncture because of this. One needs to be very careful of the road particularly if reliant on a small hand pump for inflation.

Running tubeless will solve most of this but I get by without them so they are not the only answer, better care and technique are equally effective.
  • gedme
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    So this boils down to having 2 punctures in a day, both snakebites due to hitting a stone and then a pothole. I would check the pressure in your tyres. Do you use a track pump and, if so, what pressure are you running. The main factors then are weight and tyre width. For example, I run 70f/80r on 25s and weigh 65kg. I always check pressure before leaving the house.

I suspect that the second puncture was probably due to under inflation at the roadside which is quite common. Many suffer multiple impact punctures after a single puncture because of this. One needs to be very careful of the road particularly if reliant on a small hand pump for inflation.

Running tubeless will solve most of this but I get by without them so they are not the only answer, better care and technique are equally effective.
    Hi thanks for your advice use track pump before leave if needed but obviously hand pump if out on road I checked my wheel when first happened all was ok and also second time. Did I put right pressure in? Well was small hand pump was sure all was ok, did I put tube in properly well I checked and looked good. But still new to this so maybe partly to blame. Your advice very helpful one of reasons I asked. Thank you will pay more attention.
  • gedme
    bompington wrote:
    Hi Ged
    Welcome To BR.
    No magic solution, just a combination of reasonably puncture-resistant tyres, careful fitting (I have definitely had repeat punctures before from careless fitting), and eternal vigilance on the roads.
    Oh my just seen your post about your blow out how has that worked out? I see someone was not happy about your opinion! Is that not what forum is about? Asking if anybody else has had the same kind of problems?