How do I value my 2008 bike?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, not sure if this is the right section to put this, so admin please feel free to move...

I have a 2008 StumpJumper HT which doesn't really suit my style of riding any more and so rather than spend money on further upgrades, I am planning on selling it.

However, as it is a 2008, it has a lot of older tech - ie 9 speed, 26" wheels etc.

How do I go about valuing it for sale?

It has the following spec:
2008 Stumpy HT Comp
Fox F90RL - spacer removed to make them 100mm
Thomson 70mm 10 deg stem - couple of months old
Thomson 730mm XC carbon flat bar - couple of months old
Thomson dropper post - used once!
Charge Spoon Ti/Leather Saddle
XT M785 brakes - 160mm rotors (3 bolt)
XT 770 series shifters, mechs - couple of months old
XTR 970 triple crankset
XTR cables - couple of months old
SRAM PC991 chain
Wellgo MG-1 pedals (or Deore SPDs)
Hope SP-XC3 wheels with 3 bolt rotors
Bontrager Mud-X tyres

Any ideas what it would be worth? It's in great shape and annoyingly I've spent a few hundred squid on it recently when I probably should have saved that towards a trail bike...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Valuations are illegal - see the rules, so look at ended and current sales on Ebay, Pinkbike etc.

But 26er = not a lot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Put it on Ebay and it's worth what somebody will pay for it. Sounds rather blunt but that's the fact of the matter. It might be worth more as parts. Alternatively if you still have the bits you recently replaced and they aren't completely shagged put them back on and sell the newer upgrades separately.
    Good luck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Put it on Ebay and it's worth what somebody will pay for it. .
    Or rather it will end at one bid higher than the second highest bidder was prepared to pay!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Recently sold my 2008 Rockhopper Pro Disc for £200, tried to get more but as said its only worth what people will pay. As yours is a better model I'd say £200-£300 but with a bike of that age there will always be a ceiling to the price.
  • gcwebbyuk
    seems like i will be better off stripping it and selling for parts then.

Thanks all for the advice :)
  • JGTR
    Especially as you can buy a decent 650b/29" for £500
  • Conservatively.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I had this dilemma recently with an old but still decent 26er, I sold the 'good' parts separate on Ebay and put the bike back to a standard(ish) spec with stuff from my parts bin and sold it on Gumtree for a few quid. All of the newer parts went for really decent money on Ebay (sometimes only a few quid less than they cost new) and the bike sold for not a lot but at least it got someone a decent starter bike to spread the joys of cycling.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I think I will swap the Thomson dropper back to the Thomson Set Back seat post I was running before and then sell that separately as it's only been used once on a ride!

Will list the bike as is for a decent amount on ebay/elsewhere and if no one buys it will start to sell the bits off one by one.
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    Yes you can buy a 29er for £500 and it will weigh about 10lbs heavier that the stumpy, this bike is well worth around £750 and to value it at £200 is living in cloud cuckoo land. The fork alone would cost more than £200.
  • JGTR
    foy wrote:
    Yes you can buy a 29er for £500 and it will weigh about 10lbs heavier that the stumpy, this bike is well worth around £750 and to value it at £200 is living in cloud cuckoo land. The fork alone would cost more than £200.

You can value it at what you want, it's only worth what someone will pay for it, which I doubt will be anywhere near £750. You're probably right about the fork, hence its probably worth more stripped for parts.
  • I know it's a sad fact that there are now bigger wheel options available which devalues 26ers but really, for the majority of riders 26" is perfectly functional; I picked one up cheap (new) only a few months ago, don't like the feel of a 29er and can there be that much difference with 27.5 or am I deluded?
  • The Rookie
    foy wrote:
    Sorry, that's cloud cookooo land, the used SID on my bike cost me £70 for example.

I'd love to think it is worth £750 as that would make my own bike worth about £1k, but sadly it is not. The stumpy' worth will be driven heavily by condition which we don't know, but for a well worn bike £200 is probably about right, really good condition then maybe £300-350.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gcwebbyuk
    All I can say is that the dropper post was £280, the bar £100 and the stem £70. So if I swapped all of them back and sold them on I'd hope to get at least £300 for them.
  • The Rookie
    What you may hope for and what you may get are different.....decent parts are usually worth more off a bike than on.
  • cooldad
    And the reason how much is it worth threads are pointless and illegal.

Nobody knows.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    cooldad wrote:
    And the reason how much is it worth threads are pointless and illegal.

Nobody knows.

Agreed I've mistakingly opened a can of worms

Thanks for everyone's info. But think it's time to put the worms back in the can and seal the lid on this one...
  • foy
    Rookie you have not got a clue! My mate has just sold two rockhoppers on gumtree for £650 and £600 and they were 2011 models with a far inferior specification than the one we are talking about. They both had 26 wheels.
  • cooldad
    foy wrote:
    Rookie you have not got a clue! My mate has just sold two rockhoppers on gumtree for £650 and £600 and they were 2011 models with a far inferior specification than the one we are talking about. They both had 26 wheels.

Were they stolen?

I read on the internet that everything on Gumtree is stolen.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Lucky them, I know how much bikes go for locally and it's nowhere near that, even for the much newer bikes you are talking about.
  • foy
    Cooldad you are a plonker why would you be selling a stolen bike for £650? A smack pot would be selling them for £50. It is quite obvious by your number of posts on here that you have nothing better to do with your time than try to be clever by putting other users opinions down. Get off your computer and get a life!
  • cooldad
    Perhaps I should have used a smiley to make it easier to understand.

Except I don't do smileys.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    foy wrote:

They sell for about half that on eBay. Either your mate got lucky or you forgot to mention that it was in 2011 that he sold the bikes.
  • foy
    He sold them two weeks ago.
  • JGTR
    foy wrote:
    He sold them two weeks ago.

Wow he got a great price for them, when I was looking at selling mine similar bike we're going for half that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A quick look on eBay and I found several newer rockhoppers for well under £600 including 650b and 29ers.