REVIEW: CAMPAGNOLO CHORUS SKELETON ROAD INTEGRATED DISC BRAKE 2017

ttd
ttd Posts: 17
edited March 2016 in Road general
REVIEW

by TTD
March 13, 2016 8:00am

CAMPAGNOLO CHORUS SKELETON ROAD INTEGRATED DISC BRAKE 2017 (TDI)
Excellent integrated disc brakes for road users for some potential for upgrade

BikeRadar Forum User score: 5/5 (alu disc), 4/5 (carbon disc + 3DIAMANT Bora Ultra wheelset)

:!: (high-res images available anywhere on the Internet) :!:

BikeRadar Forum User verdict: "Campagnolo’s Total Disc Integration (TDI) features fully integrated disc brakes that deliver impeccable performance"

Highs: Total disc integration (structural part of the rim; it is the largest disc possible), aerodynamics, no overheating issues, no special technologies (Ice Tech etc.) needed, simplicity in terms of wheel change, maintenance and braking pads adjustment, weight saving design, stopping power equal to non-integrated disc brakes, safety in the event of a pile-up, several designs: alu and carbon version, hydraulic and cable actuated (Campagnolo hydraulic yet to come. Hydro available from SRAM and Magura), long lasting (years!)

Lows: Poor modulation, poor braking in wet conditions (does not apply to: Campagnolo MILLE and 3DIAMANT, Mavic Exalith, ENVE textured braking surface, Dedacciai reinforced surface, etc.)

Buy if: You value common sense, performance and crave for a pair of light, powerful, aero, easy to install and maintain fully integrated disc brakes for your road machine

Campagnolo (along with Shimano, SRAM and many others) have been offering fully integrated disc brake systems for decades. They have proved to be excellent in almost every respect. There is only one minor drawback (lack of proper modulation). Now we are seeing a shift from full integration to dis(c)-integration. Why? Marketing.

TTD started filling his brain with cycling sense and nonsense in 1990. He has become a fearless and ruthless absurdity stalker. TTD has been an avid road biker since time immemorial (1990).

Age: 35 Height: 180cm / 5' 11" Weight: 68kg / 150lb Waist: 76cm / 30in Chest: 91cm / 36in
Discipline: Road & gravel
Preferred Terrain: High mountains & flats
Current Bikes: An ever changing herd of road machines from road bikes to gravel bikes and everything in between (which means watching western movies)
Dream Bike: Scapin Etika / Camapgnolo Chorus / Shamal MILLE wheelset / ISM saddle
Beer of Choice: Anstadt Potrojnie Miodowy

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dafuq?!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Indeed. I wondered whether it was bike radar scoop written on the style of road.cc and pasted in. But quick googling still shows no info whatsoever on campag disc anytime soon.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Campag. Disc brakes.

Did I wake up in a parallel dimension?
  • bendertherobot
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Campag. Disc brakes.

They're on their way. Partnership with Brembo. But no sign yet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Campag. Disc brakes.

They're on their way. Partnership with Brembo. But no sign yet.
    All teams have to use similar brake systems in the peloton to avoid the obvious crashes.
    Either Campag steps up, or the other manufacturers (and the UCI) will be mightily pee'd off. It is inevitable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think the joke is that it's about normal brakes and he's referring to the rim being the disc.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think the joke is that it's about normal brakes and he's referring to the rim being the disc.

Yup. Pretty poor effort too, not as funny or original as he thinks he is. Seriously disc haters - NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO SWITCH - get over it an stop wasting vital forum space that could be taken up by aero vs weight arguments, or helmets and so on...
  • ttd
    ttd Posts: 17
    Yes, I'm referring to rim brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

They're on their way. Partnership with Brembo.

I thought I made up that bit last year for my April's fool day article... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot

They're on their way. Partnership with Brembo.

I thought I made up that bit last year for my April's fool day article... :roll:

It was made up on the internet way before that mun ;)
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    NapoleonD wrote:

Yup. Pretty poor effort too, not as funny or original as he thinks he is. Seriously disc haters - NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO SWITCH - get over it an stop wasting vital forum space that could be taken up by aero vs weight arguments, or helmets and so on...
    True, no one is being forced to change - as seen in the pro peloton. Apart from Roompot ( who only have disc frames) , no disc brakes have yet been spotted.
    Remember, the UCI ISN'T backing discs, it is monitoring a trial period, and will also be releasing details of a standard specification for race bikes. The riders were excluded from the meetings originally, but it looks as if they are voting with their bikes.
  • Campagnolo have filed a patent for integrating the hydraulic system into the handlebar. Sounds plausible as Campag would want to limit the change in their ergo levers.

Anyway when they have disc and wireless on board I'll buy my next bike.