Aprire Vincenza

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited March 2016 in Your road bikes
From a company local to me my new carbon steed!

Aprire Vincenza equipped with Shimano Ultegra and Mavic Kysrium Elites. Paint scheme is the standard but with custom red colour and white logos.

16187768064_28684fa15f_b.jpgBike by menthel, on Flickr

Needs to be taken out for a proper ride now!
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Bars are all wrong, pointing upwards. Shifters then need to be re-placed accordingly. Saddle needs to be leveled. A bit of stem slamming would be polite
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    The bars are funny ones. Zero 100 shallows- http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... edahbas436

They probably do need a tweak but from the short ride I have they are comfy so far. The angle is probably also affected by the bike leaning against the fence- it's not straight!

The whole setup will be tweaked when I get a chance to give it a long ride!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The flat bits on the drops are meant to be level with the ground I think.

If you try some out of the saddle sprinting as they are now you'll know if their current angle is workable for you. I wouldn't be able to stand up and still be able to grab the drops comfortably as they are now unless my upper arm grew about 10 inches.

But that's me.
  • menthel
    Bondurant wrote:
    The flat bits on the drops are meant to be level with the ground I think.

If you try some out of the saddle sprinting as they are now you'll know if their current angle is workable for you. I wouldn't be able to stand up and still be able to grab the drops comfortably as they are now unless my upper arm grew about 10 inches.

But that's me.

Not with these bars. If they were horizontal the the hoods would be unridable!
    RIP commute...
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    seem to be more like a Classic bend where the bars will slope down into the hoods, so giving a kind of U to place your hands, that way the drops end up level with the ground.

Kinda like

L5faXvA.jpg

Nice bike either way!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^^This with reference to the bars but you still have a nice bike there.
  • menthel
    eddiefiola wrote:
    seem to be more like a Classic bend where the bars will slope down into the hoods, so giving a kind of U to place your hands, that way the drops end up level with the ground.

Kinda like

L5faXvA.jpg

Nice bike either way!

Thanks, will get out and ride it and then tweak. Rewrapping and tweaking lever position is one of those things that is not beyond me!
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    eddiefiola wrote:

Kinda like

L5faXvA.jpg

Nice bike either way!

Thanks, will get out and ride it and then tweak. Rewrapping and tweaking lever position is one of those things that is not beyond me!

Yes, that Pinarello has the correct line, yours is way out... do it again! :D
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:
    eddiefiola wrote:

Kinda like

L5faXvA.jpg

Nice bike either way!

Yes, that Pinarello has the correct line, yours is way out... do it again! :D

I didn't do it the first time! :P

I will adjust and rewrap one evening in the week of given the chance.
    RIP commute...
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Lovely bike other than the set up issues others have noted. Perhaps replace them with some compact bars like the Deda RHM models if you don't get on with the shape?

Let us know how it rides!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    have it however you like and find comfortable, sod the established aesthetics :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    There's 'comfortable' and there's 'not being able to ride it in the drops as the angle is nearer vertical than horizontal'
  • menthel
    Bars like this then?

16190372634_70fe34f24c_b.jpgBars by -menthel-

Obviously I will be moving the hoods into a more realistic position
    RIP commute...
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Much better, but please, no more photos containing leopard print.....

Lovely bike fella regardless of set up or leopard print.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes, that's how they were meant to be mounted on a "sportive" frame geometry like yours.
  • menthel
    btiratsoo wrote:
    Much better, but please, no more photos containing leopard print.....

Lovely bike fella regardless of set up or leopard print.

Blimey, those seat covers have never got such a reaction before!
    RIP commute...
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Hahaha. All in jest mate.
  • menthel
    Leopard print warning!!!

16813167702_a42cce17e9_b.jpgHoods by -menthel-

Looks right? Feels ok to me. Will have to do the other side now!
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Perfect
  • menthel
    Perfect

Excellent!

Other side done, shame they had wrapped the tape incorrectly on the left so that I had to completely redo it as they had wound it the wrong way round! Still, it looks much neater after my redo!

More photos tomorrow if the weather is ok.
    RIP commute...
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Top job looks bang on now, the bike shop must have let the Saturday lad do it the first time. :)
  • menthel
    diamonddog wrote:
    Top job looks bang on now, the bike shop must have let the Saturday lad do it the first time. :)

You may be right with the handlebar setup!
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    I thought you did it...
    On the basis of that, I would double cheek any vital bolt is actually torqued... someone who fits a set of bars that way doesn't know what he's doing
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I thought you did it...
    On the basis of that, I would double cheek any vital bolt is actually torqued... someone who fits a set of bars that way doesn't know what he's doing

Seconded. The taping is a bit of a red flag as well. Good practice to check all bolts on any new bike purchase anyway.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Really like that - be interested to hear how the longer test rides go.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    16692692038_9fc282f90b_b.jpgBike in the park. by menthel, on Flickr

Went out for a lap of the park (only one- I have a half marathon to run tomorrow!) and the bike is superb. No other set up issues with it. It is smooth, responsive and feels fast. In fact there were times where I think it was disappointed that I couldn't go faster! It really is a joy to ride. Next will be to find some time to get out into the Surrey Hills and see how it copes with those knee poppers!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Oh, and the bars are very comfortable. Suit my hands better than the RHM01 on the Italia.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    25627805052_1b11c8b346_b.jpgAll Photos-1665 by -menthel-

Got the spot bike out yesterday and stuck my bespoke archetype/hope wheels on it with some Michelin pro4 s/c tyres. Just enough clearance for comfort and I am sure it will feel better than the skinny ksyrium elites that were on there. However, it just doesn't look as good! I think it needs deeper, carbon wheels... ;)
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    it actually looks OK and it suits you, as a chubby middle aged cyclo-amateur. Carbon wheels look good if you are skinny as a hound dog, with a slammed stem and average 25 mph or so
  • menthel
    it actually looks OK and it suits you, as a chubby middle aged cyclo-amateur. Carbon wheels look good if you are skinny as a hound dog, with a slammed stem and average 25 mph or so

As charming as always. And you are older than me... ;)
    RIP commute...