Basic Tool Kit / Workshop Stand

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I've got a selection of the basic tools you would expect to find in a general tool box but I'm starting to find that as I want to upgrade/change things on my bike I'm starting to think I might be better buying a bike specific tool kit. I'm not looking for anything overly expensive but by the same measure don't want something that's really cheap and most likely a load of junk with sub-standard tools inside.

Also, to go with the tool kit I think having a workshop stand for the bike would be a good idea and will make any mantinance work a little easier.

So, do you guys have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Loads of topics in buying advice and the buying FAQs covering tool kits and stands.

But read the manuals for the parts you want to work on for what tools are needed.

Park tools is good as us Sheldons pages.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • simono5
    simono5 Posts: 42
    I'm on a budget and got to say I was delighted with this stand;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... ge_o07_s00
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Check out some of the kits at on-one, I've gotten several bits from there and they seem to be fair quality and their full kits look to be good value though I just bought the tools I needed as I needed them.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/accessories/workshop
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Buy a strong set of bolt cutters and you will never need to bother about maintenance! Just visit the bike sheds.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bailsofhay
    Bolt cutters ha! The truly hardcore use a hacksaw...
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    .....well I did on your lock....
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bailsofhay
    After losing a bike that way I upgraded to a lock that saw me borrowing a battery powered angle grinder when I lost my keys last year. Got some very odd looks at the train station that day.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I ended up getting a set from a company called IceToolz - was £40 on eBay and appeared to have most of the basics in it and I guess I can always build on it in the future as I require other stuff.

Grabbed a "cheap" workshop stand for £30 too so that should be me covered for now :)
  • I bought a Jobsworth 18 piece Shimano tool kit from PlanetX for £19ish two weeks ago, with 35% discount, so I can have a go at upgrading my Wazoo to a 10-speed cassette etc.for the first time. As of yesterday, the discount is 40% with a new basket code.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo