Obligatory sandbox for people who can't use an apostrophe?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
Here's an idea - every time someone starts a thread with a title including incorrect use of the apostrophe (especially using it for pluralisation), the mods move that thread to a special sandbox subforum, in which volunteers (kindly, patiently and without chastisement or ridicule) teach the OP the very simple rules of apostrophe use. Once the OP has demonstrated full understanding, the thread (with corrected title) is moved back into the main forum.

It's a win-win situation - we don't need to look at those fingers-on-blackboard-screeching abominations of punctuation abuse, and the OPs are forced to invest the five minutes required to learn something that will massively benefit them for the rest of their lives.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    or you could get a life?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • neeb
    Says the bloke with 16000, almost all completely pointless, one-liner posts...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Well that was a quick bite.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    neeb wrote:
    Says the bloke with 16000, almost all completely pointless, one-liner post's...
    FTFY.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ddraver wrote:
    or you could get a life?

This forum needs a "like" button
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    neeb wrote:
    Here's an idea - every time someone starts a thread with a title including incorrect use of the apostrophe (especially using it for pluralisation), the mods move that thread to a special sandbox subforum, in which volunteers (kindly, patiently and without chastisement or ridicule) teach the OP the very simple rules of apostrophe use. Once the OP has demonstrated full understanding, the thread (with corrected title) is moved back into the main forum.

It's a win-win situation - we don't need to look at those fingers-on-blackboard-screeching abominations of punctuation abuse, and the OPs are forced to invest the five minutes required to learn something that will massively benefit them for the rest of their lives.
    Yes, yes, YES.

Not sure about the 'without chastisement or ridicule' though. :twisted:

How about this as a candidate for the worst ever?

20140202_131320-1_zpsm0ww8nxr.jpg~original
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • neeb wrote:
    Here's an idea - every time someone starts a thread with a title including incorrect use of the apostrophe (especially using it for pluralisation), the mods move that thread to a special sandbox subforum

Mods...short for moderators, so shouldn't that mean that it should be mod's?
  • neeb
    ddraver wrote:
    or you could get a life?

"+ 1" usually serves the purpose. You could join the appropriate keys together with a bit of cardboard and draw a thumbs up symbol on top of it.
  • neeb
    Fingerbobs wrote:

Mods...short for moderators, so shouldn't that mean that it should be mod's?
    Nah, mod short for moderator. Otherwise the posessive apostrophe could get messy. (Mod's' or mod's's...)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Take it as a guide for the expected quality of the thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    neeb wrote:
    Says the bloke with 16000, almost all completely pointless, one-liner posts...
    It's really hard to decide who to back on this one :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • neeb

How about this as a candidate for the worst ever?

20140202_131320-1_zpsm0ww8nxr.jpg~original
    That's just brilliant... Although it's difficult to tell if it's strictly an incorrect use of the apostrophe! They could have used "you're" instead of "your" and then abbreviated it (incorrect word, correct apostrophe use). Language GBH however you decode it though! :shock:
  • ddraver
    PTP is good/bad for one's post count...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Ballysmate wrote:

Meh, it was 2 am and I was a little over full of Dutch Lager...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    victoria_to_bow_road017.jpg
  • neeb
    ddraver wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Meh, it was 2 am and I was a little over full of Dutch Lager...
    Ah, that'd be the life you were suggesting I should get.. Nah, I'll stick with British ale and being a militant nerd.
  • ddraver
    on your own...
    - @ddraver
  • neeb
    ddraver wrote:
    on your own...
    Nah, we are legion. Massive turnout at the Friday evening punctuation pedantry piss-up last night.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Nothing wrong with that.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    neeb wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    or you could get a life?

"+ 1" usually serves the purpose. You could join the appropriate keys together with a bit of cardboard and draw a thumbs up symbol on top of it.

I'm not into padding my post count unnecessarily.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • neeb
    finchy wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.
    Agreed, although it's controversial. Both " James's " and " James' " can be used.

The possessive apostrophe is often dropped in place names (e.g. "Kings Road" is often used instead of "King's Road"). Kudos to TfL for not doing that.

But "Princes Street" in Edinburgh (sic) should be "Princes' Street" (not "Prince's Street), as it was named after two princes (George III's two eldest sons).