Cheap low maintenance work horse (with hub gears)

willardx
willardx Posts: 20
edited March 2016 in Commuting general
Hi,
Ive been bike commuting for 10 years now and my globe vienna 2 , after 2 transmission changes and a freshly snapped off derailleur needs replacing. My commute is only 3 miles each way , half on road, half off. I am looking to replace with a similar flat bar hybrid and am looking at a bottom end sirrus for £300 ish. I would really like to switch to hub gears for ease of maintenance but don't want to spend much more than £350. I have seen the foffa urban but there seems to be a lot of neggy reviews. Are there any half decent hub gear options ( i don't mind a 3 gear hub as am in Essex and not too many hills) at this price level. I can transfer pedals, saddle, stand, rack etc from old bike so don't need them included.
Cheers
Will

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not much about (at any price level), but to get the ball rolling, this is a possibility:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • willardx
    Ideal but only in mini frame! I need an xl or 22" really Cheers. Good bargains on there
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any frame (such as your Globe) and use a chain tensioner?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you'd be happy with a 3 speed hub gear, have you considered a single speed instead? Might give you some more options?
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    £150 more than your limit, but an old mate of mine (60+ years cycling and a collection of at least 10 bikes) loves this. 9 speed hub, belt drive
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -sc2-ig-16
  • willardx
    Thanks all,
    What's a chain tensioner??
    Don't really want a fixed as have some gradients to cover. Like the look of the Marin. May shop around on that. Thank for the input. Any idea of the cost of retrofitting a shimano nexus to my Globe???? Probably more expensive than its worth???
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    willardx wrote:
    Thanks all,
    What's a chain tensioner??
    Don't really want a fixed as have some gradients to cover. Like the look of the Marin. May shop around on that. Thank for the input. Any idea of the cost of retrofitting a shimano nexus to my Globe???? Probably more expensive than its worth???
    Chain tensioner screws into the dérailleur hanger on a bike with vertical dropouts to allow the use of hub gears or single speed.
    justin-lindine-redline-singlespeed-2015-nationals-cxmagazine-ayee-img_2676-e_1.jpg
    As you can't move the wheel back to tension the chain a tensioner like the one in the pic can do it to allow hub gears to be used on your current frame.
  • willardx
    That sounds interesting will have to have a look on ebay. Many thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Planet X sell a decent single sped tensioner. You can use a standard rear mech either as is or with the cage cut down to a single jockey but it doesn't look to pretty!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.