One from the archives

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
No, not me, you cheeky sods.

This: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -bill.html

IIRC the cyclist in question used to post here a while ago - long before this incident. I am pretty sure he was a helmet cam man even way back then.

Anyway, enough of the history crap. There's only one item of genuine curiosity in this whole story:

How the fuck does a driving instructor make enough money to buy and run an Audi R8 Spyder FFS?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. Winner gets to watch me use the answer to buy an R8 Spyder.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Isleworth Crown Court in west London heard Mr Porter represents cyclists in civil cases and may have been using the trial for publicity.

:roll:
    Good ol' Daily Mail. Never miss a chance to be cnuts
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    edited March 2016
    The real question here is why would a person with that kind of cash to spend on a car picks a Volkswagen.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    There's only one item of genuine curiosity in this whole story:

How the fark does a driving instructor make enough money to buy and run an Audi R8 Spyder FFS?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. Winner gets to watch me use the answer to buy an R8 Spyder.
    probably the same way my local chip-shop proprietor manages to buy himself a new Porsche every year :shock:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rower63 wrote:
    There's only one item of genuine curiosity in this whole story:

How the fark does a driving instructor make enough money to buy and run an Audi R8 Spyder FFS?

probably the same way my local chip-shop proprietor manages to buy himself a new Porsche every year :shock:

What is this way. Just found out my contract is coming to an end so it's the perfect time to swap IT for chips and an R8
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I think a chippy owner could make decent money, potatoes are cheap, chips are less so.
    (I know cheap as chips is a thing, but boiled spuds are cheaper)

Driving instructors are limited by the amount of hours in a day. Round my way it's about £14 for an hours lesson, out of that you've got to run a car for an hour, then drive to the next appointment, and do it again. Even if you didn't sleep you couldn't turn over more than £300 a day without expenses.

Methinks he's up to something else.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Meanwhile in Manchester, a former colleague was having somewhat more fun... :-)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/650920 ... University
    left the forum March 2023
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    prawny wrote:
    I think a chippy owner could make decent money, potatoes are cheap, chips are less so.
    (I know cheap as chips is a thing, but boiled spuds are cheaper)

Driving instructors are limited by the amount of hours in a day. Round my way it's about £14 for an hours lesson, out of that you've got to run a car for an hour, then drive to the next appointment, and do it again. Even if you didn't sleep you couldn't turn over more than £300 a day without expenses.

Methinks he's up to something else.

According to the Judge's summing up, the accused runs a "cafeteria in Twickenham". Must be a good money-spinner, as didn't that recent road rage fellow by Richmond Park have a SW-based eaterie, Range Rover sport, large house (& a small gentleman's area)?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    the woman in Kingston who tried to kill a cyclist with her Q7 was working as a courier!!!! money grows on trees in SW London
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    the woman in Kingston who tried to kill a cyclist with her Q7 was working as a courier!!!! money grows on trees in SW London
    actually it grows as shrubs in Columbia and Afghanistan :wink:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Rumour has it the tax payer was funding more of her lifestyle than is legal. Alledgedly of course. Mind you, we're funding all of her lifestyle at the moment.