Pasteys semi retro Cougar project.

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited March 2016 in Your road bikes
Came across this bike and fell in love. It is a mix of retro and modern, done as tastefully as I could. Changed quite a few parts as it was running some non compatible bits. Would love to know what year the frame was manufactured, I have a feeling it was built by Dolan so will make some enquiries . It is a mix of Campag Record parts ranging from 2001 to 2006/7 with the exception of the Royce ti bottom bracket, it all works together beautifully. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Frame: Cougar 531
Forks: Cougar
Bars: Cinelli Campione Du Monde
Stem: 3T Pro Titanium
Headset: Campagnolo Record 1 inch Threaded
Bar Tape: Selle Monte Grappa Leather
Bar end plugs: Gilles Berthoud Leather

Front Brake Lever:Campagnolo Record
Front Caliper: Campagnolo Record
Rear Brake Lever: Campagnolo Record
Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Record

Shifters: Campagnolo Record 10 spd
Cables: Campagnolo
Front Mech: Campagnolo Record 10 spd
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Record 9/10 spd

Seat: San Marco Rolls Ti
Seat Post: Campagnolo Record titanium 27.2MM

Cranks: Campagnolo Record CT 172.5mm
Chainring(s): Campagnolo Record 10 spd compact 50/34
Chain:Campagnolo Record 10 spd
Cassette: Campagnolo Record titanium 10spd 11/25
Pedals: Token track inc stainless toe clips, leather straps
Bottom Bracket: Royce Titanium

Front Wheel:
Rim: H Plus Son Archetype 28H
Spokes: Sapim Race
Hub: Miche Primato Sintesi
Tire: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Classic skinwall 23

Back Wheel:
Rim: H Plus Son Archetype 32H
Spokes: Sapim Race
Hub: Miche Primato Sintesi
Tire: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Classic skinwall 23

Accessories: Campagnolo Record carbon bottle cage, Velo Orange leather chainstay protector.

Weight: 20.2lbs as pictured.
20140405_163717_zpsmlltreqm.jpg
20140405_163727_zpsa5paxg2y.jpg
20140405_163736_zpsmuyameww.jpg
20140405_163804_zpstjiladge.jpg
20140405_163905_zpsoq5zrdtg.jpg
20140405_163925_zps1mxhzuov.jpg
20140405_163943_zpslsqpdzi9.jpg
20140405_164020_zps8w8mmdmx.jpg
20140405_164032_zps2tdc1tkz.jpg
20140405_164047_zpsxgt1e8p6.jpg
20140405_164054_zpsqmci3tme.jpg
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• pastey_boy
    Pics now added although the gloomy conditions do not show off the paint work. Will take better pics when brighter.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Nice and great groupset, probably the best ever...

But the black spokes... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • pastey_boy

To be honest I was a bit lazy with the wheels, was going to build a set of polished rims, silver spokes and polished Campag hubs but then ran into a few unseen problems with my chosen components, at the same time I saw the above new wheels for sale at an utterly bargainous price so I purchased them instead. May still build the other wheels up if I get the hubs sorted.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ugo.santalucia
    I also wonder if a Primato 32 hub can be built radial... can't remember...

I love the frame... there is something about red bikes...
  • pastey_boy

The front is 28h. Going to ride the bike to Dolan to try and get some info on the frame, pretty sure they built it but would like to know when.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pastey_boy wrote:

The front is 28h. Going to ride the bike to Dolan to try and get some info on the frame, pretty sure they built it but would like to know when.

Terry Dolan used to build his frames under the 'Cougar' name, but I believe the name may have been sold on afterwards, so it may not actually be a 'Dolan' Cougar at all.
  • pastey_boy
    I have read up on as much history as I can find on the brand although there is not a lot of info on the net. From what I gather, Dolan used this colour ona lot of frames they built although as you say I could be totally wrong. Nothing wrong with asking though.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • imposter2.0
    Definitely worth asking - might be one of his. Presume the number will give it away..
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    pastey_boy wrote:

To be honest I was a bit lazy with the wheels, was going to build a set of polished rims, silver spokes and polished Campag hubs but then ran into a few unseen problems with my chosen components, at the same time I saw the above new wheels for sale at an utterly bargainous price so I purchased them instead. May still build the other wheels up if I get the hubs sorted.
    Ha!was just about to say how much better it woild look with the polished h plus son rims.

Lovely nonetheless
    You have an eye for the good stuff anyway.
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    That's lovely. Good job sir.
    And I like the wheels as they are.
    ....like it's golden
  • pastey_boy
    jezzasnr wrote:
    That's lovely. Good job sir.
    And I like the wheels as they are.
    I love the fitted wheels and the black rims really show off the sidewalls, only problem I have with them is that I am terrified of marking the braking surface. The bike is only going to see very occasional use as I would rather look at it than ride it, so maybe it wont be an issue. Having said that ,I have two more sets of rims I purchased for the project, 2 pairs of Rigida Chrina rims. One pair is mirror polished and one pair, black with a silver braking surface. The black pair are new but quite old and are much lighter than the modern polished rims (410gr Vs 495gr) back when the Chrina was a quality rim as opposed to the budget version available today. I will probably build both pairs up onto silver Ambrosio Zenith hubs so I can use the bike without fear of marking the Archetypes. A bit sad but the bike is in such good condition, I want to preserve it.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ugo.santalucia
    I would say it's a bit sad that you don't want to ride the bike to avoid the rims wearing... it's a bike FFS and certainly not one that would flog for thousands at auction :roll:
  • pastey_boy
    I would say it's a bit sad that you don't want to ride the bike to avoid the rims wearing... it's a bike FFS and certainly not one that would flog for thousands at auction :roll:
    it will get used, but only sparingly as I want to maintain its present condition. I didn't buy the bike to ride as such, I got it because in my opinion it is a beautiful piece of kit. when the previous owner first showed me the bike, I offered him much more than it was actually worth as I loved the look of it. As luck would have it the owner was after a mountain bike so I swapped him for a bike that stood me at not a lot of money. I did have to spend around £500 to get it into its current state. I know its not worth lots of money but I dont care, I just enjoy the fact that I own it.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • imposter2.0
    I tend to agree with Ugo - I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'quality' of the bike. Bikes like that were absolutely commonplace in road race bunches in the 90s - and 531 (is it even 531c ?) was a basic spec back then. I've got a very similar frame hanging up in my garage, a handbuilt 653.

It's a good-looking machine though - but paint and anodising can all be re-applied if necessary...
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've had this in the family since 1986, when my dad got it second hand, it's a 1980, made by an artisan in Turin, who is currently still active making custom carbon frames for Corratec. Columbus SL, Super Record group set, the lot. I have only rebuilt the wheels because I like to ride it and I want good wheels, the rims are late 80s, so slightly off period. I don't ride it in the wet or in winter, but it does get used. It would make me sad to have it hanging on the wall as a trophy... bikes are to be used, otherwise they are not bikes, they are ornaments. I have seen collectors with 20-100 bicycles, but pity overtook envy as a feeling by a long way.
    You can keep a bike in very good conditions for a very long time... maintenance is the key. This one has been resprayed and I managed to get some identical decals.

DSC_1263_zpsc35e1c09.jpg
  • pastey_boy
    Imposter wrote:
    I tend to agree with Ugo - I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'quality' of the bike. Bikes like that were absolutely commonplace in road race bunches in the 90s - and 531 (is it even 531c ?) was a basic spec back then. I've got a very similar frame hanging up in my garage, a handbuilt 653.

It's a good-looking machine though - but paint and anodising can all be re-applied if necessary...
    I am not even slightly hung up, I know what the bike is , I am not under the impression that I am sat on a valuble cycling relic, I know where 531 sits in the tubing hierarchy, the point is , I got the bike because I love the way it looks. I did not get it to ride, I just wanted it. maybe it will be seen by many as a great shame that the bike will not see much road time . who knows, maybe when I have had a chance to ride the bike I may see it differently and may end up using it more than I had intended.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    your bike, do with it as you will. Stick it on the wall, polish it to death, ride it 'til its dust, something in between.
    no need to justify it, whatever it is .
    ....like it's golden
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    here is a bit of info that I found on Cougar been used by Dolan and Paul Donohue http://www.lfgss.com/thread115357.html
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Love it.

Cut those outer way too short though. Pet hate of mine, I like to see a bit of overlap there>.:D
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Really nice build that, I personally like a bit of modern mixed in there. Not everyone has to produce a true to period replica; and while I agree it'd be a shame not to ride it, it's the OP's bike to with as her wishes.

I rebuilt my dads old carlton and it is absolutely nothing special in terms of being top of the range. But I spent my time and money sorting it out and it means something to me. I ride it every now and then but never in anything but perfect weather, so I can totally see where Pastey is coming from.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49118696@ ... otostream/
  • House munkey

After seeing the "before" pics, why on earth did you restore that Carlton ?? it looked mint in it`s original paint and decals ???
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I had one of those as my first road bike years ago, rode great, wish I never sold it now. Here is mine as it was just before selling it:

IMG_0668.JPG

I also had an alloy cougar with carbon rear stays in baby blue (which I crashed after 2 weeks use), not as good as the 531 but still a great bike:

DSCF5008.JPG
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    House munkey

After seeing the "before" pics, why on earth did you restore that Carlton ?? it looked mint in it`s original paint and decals ???

Not sure which photos you were looking at but it was a bloody mess after sitting in the shed for god knows how many years....... :?: :?:
  • pastey_boy
    Finally built some different wheels for the Cougar. Nice as they are, the H Plus Son rims are a bit too modern so I have managed to build something a bit more retro looking. Rims are a pair of NOS 32h Rigida Chrina, these are not the budget 500 gram rims available today, they weigh in at 410 grams each. Hubs are FRM, again NOS and very light at 270 grams for the pair. Spokes are silver Sapim CX-ray and nipples are Dt Swiss alloy. The hubs are Shimano spline so I have to use an Ambrosio conversion cassette to run it with the Campag groupset, the previously fitted titanium Record cassette was slipping on the smallest two sprockets with a new chain so it needed to be changed. Also found some nice tan wall tyres to complete the look, a pair of Clement Strada LLG 25mm. The wheels weigh in at 1447 grams which should put a spring in the Cougars step. Will post pics of wheels on the bike when my cassette and tyres turn up
    IMAG0011_zpsrc3usxde.jpg
    IMAG0013_zpszadqncph.jpg
    IMAG0015_zpsyqbnxbz1.jpg
    IMAG0014_zpsnjyhub43.jpg
    IMAG0016_zpsfxdl3a3q.jpg
    IMAG0017_zpsv19hco09.jpg
    63079_zpslxich37n.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ugo.santalucia
    nice!
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Wheels look very nice, and great choice on the Clement Strada!
  • pastey_boy
    Thanks for the comments. Got the new wheels on now, I apologise for the piss poor pics but my phone is away for repair so I had to use my tablet. Looks much better in my opinion, and much lighter too, the bike weighs in at bang on 9kg with pedals and bottle cage as pictured. First bit of dry sunny weather I will take her for a nice long ride. Also managed to dig out a lovely pair of Campy skewers I had lurking in the bottom of a big carrier bag full of odds and sods.
    20160310_135344_zpsy0asditu1_zpsyqhy60us.jpg
    20160310_135442_zpszacn8ibj.jpg
    20160310_135416_zpsu9iuayah.jpg
    20160310_135429_zpswikemvtd.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Lovely! Given the resurgence in popularity of gumwalls I'm surprised silver spokes and hubs haven't made more of a come-back as well. So much nicer than black!
  • pastey_boy
    PhilPub wrote:
    Lovely! Given the resurgence in popularity of gumwalls I'm surprised silver spokes and hubs haven't made more of a come-back as well. So much nicer than black!
    The silver spokes have a nice sparkle to them in sunshine. Been busy today lengthening all the cables as I needed to raise the stem and when I originally put the bike together I had no Campag cables knocking around so had to make do with the existing cables which were bordering on the short side, all sorted now with plenty length. Given the bike a thorough going over, the Ambrosio cassette works fine though not quite as smooth as a Record it replaced. The bike feels much better now I have raised the stem. I found a nice aluminium bottle which compliments the bike along with a frame fitting carbon Blackburn pump which also looks the part. I have mounted a Garmin mount on the stem on top of the bar clamp which works well. Hoping to get out on it tomorrow, will possibly be riding to Southport so I will try and get some nice pics in the expected sunshine.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti