Lizzie Armitstead... cool as a Cucumber

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,199
edited June 2016 in Pro race
We should really have a thread dedicated to this woman. Doing very well despite being in Rainbow colours. Not even a tiny mention of her on BBC - don't know if SKY Sports has mentioned her at all. Was very low in the final SPOTY standings.

Just watched the Strada Bianchi highlights and she was cruising. You could see she was way stronger than her 2 chaperone's up the final ramps before attacking and looked fresh at the finish. Another Leontin Van Moorsel in the making?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Saw Nicole Cooke's rainbow jersey at the design museum today and it looks like it's shrunk in the wash. It's tiny, very.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    8)

sthilzy-2016.03.09.00.56.01-1-tumblr_o382o5TgxM1qg4jy9o1_1280.jpg
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    She's a good gurl! Loads of interviews with her around at the moment too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lizzie is utter class. As for cool, you've never seen anyone as cool and zen as she was riding to the start in Sat

I might have a girl crush :oops:
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    She is awesome and doesn't get the credit she deserves from the British media.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Jered Gruber was at Strade Bianche and covered both mens and womens races. Not too many great pictures of Lizzie en route but some great shots of her relaxed after her win

http://gruber.photoshelter.com/gallery- ... 2Um7OHG8Bg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Worth pointing out that Gruber images is comprised of two photographers - Jered and Ashley Gruber.

I believe Ashley was covering the women's Strade Bianche so those are her photos
  • She's been heavily featured in The Cycling Podcast these last few weeks
  • pinno
    When it got down to 3, she looked like she was taking the beginners out for a spin.
  • pinno
    She's been heavily featured in The Cycling Podcast these last few weeks

Link please?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
  • ddraver

It was good to hear Lucy Garner on that too (they sound very similar don't they!). It seems she has settled in to The Netherlands much better than I have :(
    - @ddraver
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    dish_dash wrote:
    Worth pointing out that Gruber images is comprised of two photographers - Jered and Ashley Gruber.

I believe Ashley was covering the women's Strade Bianche so those are her photos

The intro to the photos made me think otherwise - but I think you are right. The pictures of Lizzie with Megan Guarnier are just great photos showing the personal joy tempered with the camaraderie of competitors
  • ddraver
    True, but they tend to publish as "gruber"
    - @ddraver
  • Pinno wrote:

Link please?

It's not hard to guess to be fair

http://thecyclingpodcast.com/
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Pinno wrote:
    When it got down to 3, she looked like she was taking the beginners out for a spin.

She did. It looked easy. Pretty stunning.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Link please?

Until this thread came about viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13038539 I had never listened to a podcast of any description in my life.
  • dish_dash
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Link please?

Until this thread came about viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13038539 I had never listened to a podcast of any description in my life.

Well you've been made aware at the right time. Janan says that because of podcasts we are living a golden age of audio. The cycling podcast is excellent...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Link please?

Well you've been made aware at the right time. Janan says that because of podcasts we are living in a golden age of audio. The cycling podcast is excellent...
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    ddraver wrote:

It was good to hear Lucy Garner on that too (they sound very similar don't they!). It seems she has settled in to The Netherlands much better than I have :(

Sound similar?! You've spent too long In the Netherlands, Lucy has quite clearly got a Leicester accent which is way different to Lizzie's northern cant.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    dish_dash wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Link please?

Well you've been made aware at the right time. Janan says that because of podcasts we are living a golden age of audio. The cycling podcast is excellent...

In case this isn't clear, when Janan says something, it's usually bang on.

Bang. On.
  • pinno
    Ended up on the front and leading it out but it didn't matter. Bravo, well done.

What a year so far. Keep it lit Lizzie.
  • pinno
    Thought the bloody Belgian director was going to omit the final of the ladies. Why he didn't stick with it with 17k to go, I don't know. Especially when there was bugger all happening in the mens.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Brava Lizzie, great last coupla' k, she had her work cut out at the end!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Had a chance to speak with her after her national title win in 2010(?). Was with my little boy st the time and we saw her standing all alone by the cars. I'm sure she wouldn't have objected if we'd gone and spoken with her. Always regret not doing so...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pinno wrote:
    Thought the bloody Belgian director was going to omit the final of the ladies. Why he didn't stick with it with 17k to go, I don't know. Especially when there was bugger all happening in the mens.
    Yeah, that would've been nice.

Another impressive win for Armitstead, she's head and shoulders above the rest at the moment.
  • pinno
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I watched the last half hour on Belgian tv of the womens tour. It was ironic that after winning the commentator said how fantastic it was that the world champion won and wouldn,t it be fantastic if the same happened in the mens race, and it bloody well did
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pinno
    No highlights of stage 5 of the Aviva Womens Tour.

Previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJiL8zI3AWs

Thus far:

Het Niuewsblad
    Strada Bianche
    Trofeo Alfredo Binda
    Flanders
    Boels Rental Hills Classic
    and now the Aviva womens tour.

She intimated that the Olympics was 'the big one' for her this year at that Boels Classic.