Car question for vtech

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
Vtech, if you had to choose practicalities/price factors aside, of the follwoing 3, that are not like for like, what would it be:

m2 beemer, alfa giulia quadrifoglio, mustang v8

appreciate the alfa is a 'bit' of an unknown, but still, keen to get an expert petrolheads opinion.

all would require a wait for different reasons.

personally, with heart ruling head, would have said mustang but it just makes me feel wistful and sad now thinking of american stuff, having not yet come to terms with my return from the greatest nation on earth, so wouldnt choose that myself!

head says m2, but the alfa looks tasty.

(this isnt for me btw, before anyone starts, its for a friend!)

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Its a really difficult one because I would buy any of these for the money.

BMW from £44,000
    Alfa Giulia £29,000
    Mustang £30,000

These are starting prices also so you have extras to think of, I reckon Ford will be cheapest in this sector.

I do like the mustang but I wouldst buy one, same as BMW, I love their tech but they are way overpriced and fall off a cliff after only a few months of ownership.
    I don't know too much about the Alfa but one day I'm going to buy one as the saying goes, each petrol head needs to own an alfa at some point in life.

For this amount of money there are tons of option on cars and loads would be on my list prior to these.
    Sorry if thats no help :(
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Its a really difficult one because I would buy any of these for the money.

BMW from £44,000
    Alfa Giulia £29,000
    Mustang £30,000

These are starting prices also so you have extras to think of, I reckon Ford will be cheapest in this sector.

I do like the mustang but I wouldst buy one, same as BMW, I love their tech but they are way overpriced and fall off a cliff after only a few months of ownership.
    I don't know too much about the Alfa but one day I'm going to buy one as the saying goes, each petrol head needs to own an alfa at some point in life.

For this amount of money there are tons of option on cars and loads would be on my list prior to these.
    Sorry if thats no help :(

the tang price is 34 basic for the proper model, and dont think the giula in quadro skin will be anywhere near 29 will it? looking at 40 ish surely? (isnt quadrofolglio the top of the range, m3/amg equivalnet?)

the m2 has a big waitng list apparently (as does the mustang) but do you not think it could appreciate if kept long enough? the reviewers are creaming themsleves over it.

what else would you suggest as alternatives in this range. (excluding a boxster...hateful!)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    the tang price is 34 basic for the proper model, and dont think the giula in quadro skin will be anywhere near 29 will it? looking at 40 ish surely? (isnt quadrofolglio the top of the range, m3/amg equivalnet?)

the m2 has a big waitng list apparently (as does the mustang) but do you not think it could appreciate if kept long enough? the reviewers are creaming themsleves over it.

what else would you suggest as alternatives in this range. (excluding a boxster...hateful!)
    Reads like you know your answer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What do you really need from the car - the Mustang looks very odd in that list? Can't suggest alternatives without knowing what your requirements are.

You're right, the Giulia QV will be a lot more expensive than £29k and they've just announced a delay to the launch.

I wouldn't buy any of them without test driving them first and then I'd decide.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Can we chime in with suggestions now - it was inevitable.

RS3 for smiles and feels (?)
    tick - tick - tick
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    None if the above IMO.

If he wants a drivers cars and isn't worried about image, new Focus RS for about £30k.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    None if the above IMO.

If he wants a drivers cars and isn't worried about image, new Focus RS for about £30k.

No Mazda Stevo?
  • VTech
    Does it have to be new ?
    Also what is the criteria for the car ?

I just purchased an Audi A5 and love it, really nice car and a bargain.
    Living MY dream.
  • What do you really need from the car - the Mustang looks very odd in that list? Can't suggest alternatives without knowing what your requirements are.

You're right, the Giulia QV will be a lot more expensive than £29k and they've just announced a delay to the launch.

I wouldn't buy any of them without test driving them first and then I'd decide.

not for me and I said practicalities aside!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    None if the above IMO.

No Mazda Stevo?
    Nope, he didn't specify he needed it for chucking muddy mountain bike into or taking crap down to the local tip.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Purely on looks/image the Audi or BMW, the Alfa and the Mustang are hideous look at me type cars, the RS if you are under 35 or don't care that people will think you are trying to recapture your youth. No idea how good any of them are to drive.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Purely on looks/image the Audi or BMW, the Alfa and the Mustang are hideous look at me type cars, the RS if you are under 35 or don't care that people will think you are trying to recapture your youth. No idea how good any of them are to drive.

some people, like look at me a cars!

personally I love the mustang looks wise. but changed my opinion of wanting one myself so told my mate not to get one either. In America yes I would get one no question (actually id get the latest generation dodge charger as absolutely love it, even though I think a new gen may be soon) but here in this dreary wet miserable country no i wouldn't get one as it would remind me every day and thus make me sad that i'm not in America!!

Also wouldn't say the alfa is anymore a look at me car than the m2. it (if it ever comes out) will be a 3 series equivalent , albeit the qudriofoglio will be pimped somewhat.

audis are for di.cks! two of my mates have them so I that's a given!
  • VTech
    You may be right, I love the audi and have been called a di ck before :)
    Living MY dream.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Vtech, did you go for new A5 or used?

Mrs O has an A5 as company car, however plans to leave end of the year so we'll be looking for a replacement. Like the A5 to drive and can get bikes in the back with a bit of faff compared to an estate. However, always thought it was a bit pricey new.
  • VTech
    orraloon wrote:

Mrs O has an A5 as company car, however plans to leave end of the year so we'll be looking for a replacement. Like the A5 to drive and can get bikes in the back with a bit of faff compared to an estate. However, always thought it was a bit pricey new.

I got the wife a 2 year old, cost £16k for an line cabriolet 2.0tfsi
    I rewrote the engine and gearbox software so its now 255hp so quite nippy.
    I am not so sure on the fuel economy, I don't think its the best at around 33mpg on a run but its a lovely drive.
    Living MY dream.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    VTech wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

I got the wife a 2 year old, cost £16k for an line cabriolet 2.0tfsi
    I rewrote the engine and gearbox software so its now 255hp so quite nippy.
    I am not so sure on the fuel economy, I don't think its the best at around 33mpg on a run but its a lovely drive.

Thanks for the info Vtech. Doubt we'll go down the reprogramming route next year though :)
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Just bought Mrs Goo a new car (to her). I was offered this AutoGlym Life Shine but baulked at the £320. Is it that good?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Just bought Mrs Goo a new car (to her). I was offered this AutoGlym Life Shine but baulked at the £320. Is it that good?

If you are not good at looking after the car then its better than nothing, but you can do yourself better for alot less, or take it to a pukka detailer and get them to do a much better job for less.
  • mr_goo
    apreading wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

If you are not good at looking after the car then its better than nothing, but you can do yourself better for alot less, or take it to a pukka detailer and get them to do a much better job for less.

I thought as much. Have since read that the dealership costs are about £20 in materials. That is one hell of a labour charge and profit.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • VTech
    Autoglym is good stuff, the price is way too much as its a £75 job unless it is a full detail in which case it is very cheap.
    As its a dealer, it won't be a detail, it will be a polish in which case its just a money maker for them.
    To do it right you need the car clayed, waxed, cured then top coated.
    Well worth it but its a great thing to get into on a sunday afternoon for stress relief.
    Living MY dream.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Surely a Porsche Cayman is good at this price?

I just sold mine, and I'm bitterly regretting it!!
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081

at least replacing it?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Flâneur wrote:

at least replacing it?

Yeah, hopefully soon, once our busy April is over. I'd like to go for the 2.9l 6 speed as opposed to the 2.7l 5 speed I had.
  • mr_goo
    Took the plunge and went for an Alpha. Mrs Goo's new car (couple of years old). Sportiva (Quadrifoglio) 2.0ltr diesel.

media?id=0d336e645a904b6d9045602dd62dd363&width=921&height=614
  • VTech
    Thats a nice looking car, hope you enjoy it :)
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:

Cheers. Pic doesn't do it justice. The black turns red in the sunlight. Spent 4 hours on Friday cleaning the wheels and brake calipers.
    Next job is to clay the body work, make good the odd very minor chip then treat the paintwork with this stuff called Poorboys Black Hole.
  • VTech
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Cheers. Pic doesn't do it justice. The black turns red in the sunlight. Spent 4 hours on Friday cleaning the wheels and brake calipers.
    Next job is to clay the body work, make good the odd very minor chip then treat the paintwork with this stuff called Poorboys Black Hole.

Met a guy once who was given only a short time to live, He had suffered many heart attacks for reasons I don't know and he came to me asking me to write software for his Astra Turbo which was his pride and joy.
    We chatted for a few hours, he was a great bloke and he talked about his health etc and it turns out that he clay bars his car and waxes it on a weekly basis (it truly was one of the deepest reds I've ever seen on a car and looked awesome).
    He puts this "stress relief" down to the fact that several years after his last heart attack he is still going strong and seems to be on the mend.

I know that was off topic but I love to reminisce about past times etc.
    Moral of the story though, clay your car :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.