2015 Vitus Escarpe Pro Frame Build FINISHED

Fighting84
Fighting84 Posts: 15
edited March 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Hi,

Thought i'd share my new frame build with you all. Up until recently i've been enjoying my local trails on a 2008 Marin shoreline trail, got the frame secondhand and built it up upgrading a few parts along the way but after two years of faultless ownership it was time for change.
So my plan was to get a new frame, with the wife onboard and given the green light I went off in search...
Decided it was going to be a 650b frame so i'd only be able to use a few things from the Marin, here she is after a very long ride

20150516_193043.jpg

Wanted a 130mm-140mm frame but i was on a budget so had two in mind 2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 and the 2015 Vitus Escarpe Pro, I did also briefly look at the Commencal VIP Meta Trail but I'm not a fan of Pressfit BB's so ruled it out and a long shot was the Transition Scout frame. Unfortunatley my budget could quite streatch to the Transition and after quite a bit of thought i went for the Vitus. Had everything i wanted non pressfit BB, bottle cage fitment, nice layout, great reviews and i even liked the colour!
So orderd a Small frame as I'm a munchkin at 5'6''. I've put in a Hope headset along with my Hope BB from the Marin. Have to say that i'm really liking the colour so much nicer than the pictures.
20151124_181553.jpg
20151124_181606.jpg
20151124_181745.jpg

I did balls up as i ordered a RockShox Maxle not reading the blurb on the frame correctly as it needed a E thru axle, CRC also said frame did't come with an axle but found a jiffy bag in with the frame containing a Shinamo E thru Axle, result. Maxle on its way back to CRC.

Also got in some new Pikes RCT3 150mm
20151118_132026.jpg
20151118_132017.jpg

The frame did come with a thin chainstay protector stuck on but ive replaced it with a Csixx rubber one, could only find a medium one so was a tight fit, I've put a couple of cable ties to keep it in place ;)

b7321ab7-827a-4651-adbb-426d8431e590.jpg
20151123_114415.jpg

I'm using my old 50mm Hope stem and Carbon bars, got the steerer cut and forks test fitted
20151118_173126.jpg

I've had some Satin Invisaframe sheet delievered so i need to start getting that fitted, will be fun.

I was originally gonna use my old 175mm XT cranks from the Marin but have now decided to go with some new SLX 170mm cranks as found some at a great price also have a new 32T NW chainring on its way.

So at this point i've only got a small £ amount left which i've put aside for wheels, I'm waiting for the new Hope Pro4's to come out in Jan will hopefully get them built on Stans Flows Ex, was going to use Arch Ex but i had them on the Marin and would like to try the Flows.

Thats where the build is so far, father christmas is also hopefully bringing me a few bits to help me finish the build ;)

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    edited November 2015
    Very nice so far, I look forward to seeing the final build! I've seen a few of the Vitus out on the trails, they're lovely bikes and the Pikes are incredible forks.

I used to have an Attack Trail, it was a great bike - what's going to happen to your Marin?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Flows are noticably heavier so unless you want a more square tyre shape or you are particularly rough on wheels I'd stick with Arch's. I couldn't really tell much difference (grip) with the wider rim when I switched to Flows. They are easier to get tyres on and off though because there is more room to play with.
  • Very nice so far, I look forward to seeing the final build! I've seen a few of the Vitus out on the trails, they're lovely bikes and the Pikes are incredible forks.

I used to have an Attack Trail, it was a great bike - what's going to happen to your Marin?

I really enjoyed the Marin and was surprised how well it peddled. Its now been taken part and the bits i couldn't use on the new build have been sold off ;)
  • Flows are noticably heavier so unless you want a more square tyre shape or you are particularly rough on wheels I'd stick with Arch's. I couldn't really tell much difference (grip) with the wider rim when I switched to Flows. They are easier to get tyres on and off though because there is more room to play with.

I've been a bit undecided on Arches or Flows tbh, my old Arch Ex were great and having a look at the new 2106 Arch EX I may well get those, I'll fianlly make my mind up once the Pro4's are out.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I really enjoyed the Marin and was surprised how well it peddled. Its now been taken part and the bits i couldn't use on the new build have been sold off ;)
    I know what you mean, mine was a heavy old beast but still climbed well!

Good to hear it's still being put to use by somebody else, rather than scrapped/broken! If you hadn't sold it already I'd have been tempted for my wife, she's got an old Carerra which could do with changing. Best of luck with your Vitus build mate, it's going to be a great looking bike when done! :D
  • New SLX cranks turned up today along with the new NW Uberbike Chainring. Going for a Purple on Black look
    20151125_145851.jpg

Couldn't help myself, had to qickly put the forks on so i could see the bars on with the new grips lol, red headset spacers will be replaced with black ones ;)
    20151125_151302.jpg
    20151125_151242.jpg

Might attemped to fit the invisiframe sheet this weekend...........
  • Liking this a lot.

Nice colour combo too
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Hi,

Had a go at fitting the Invisiframe sheet over the weekened. As the the bike is a Matt colour and no kits are available for the Escarpe i got the Matt/Satin sheet which looks like this
    20151129_121956.jpg

Spent a while with some paper and Tamiya tape creating a few templates
    20151129_122210.jpg

Downtube piece cutout
    20151129_124445.jpg

I have to say the Invisiframe sheet is a lot better quality than the normal heli tape i've used before. Sprayed everything with copious amounts of water mixed with baby shampoo, then slide the downtube piece into place
    20151129_130018.jpg

And this is how it turned out after a few mins with a squeege, really pleased with how the sheet went down as this is my first attempt.
    20151129_131611.jpg

I've got nearly all the downtube covered along with the headtube a couple of bits on the top tube and one chainstay done, still have enough left to finish the chain/seat stays. Will definitely buy this stuff again.

One otherr mod i've done is to try and give the rear shock some mud protection. As you can see from the pic below you can see right through to the shock from the rear, luckily there are two handy bolt holes right above the opening which are used for the removeable from mech mount.
    20151129_190817.jpg

I made a template out of card and then cut up an old MuckyNutz mud gard to create this.
    20151129_192629.jpg
    20151130_085203.jpg

Need to get some new bolts to fit it properly, hopefully this will work, would be nice to have a carbon one.......
    Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get much done now untill after Christmas as waiting for bits.

Cheers
    Alan
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Nifty mud guard that, liking the idea of using Tamiya tape to mar up the shapes too, oddly ive just ordered one of those chainstay protectors too. OK you can do it wit ha tube but that looks far neater. The black purple an reds looking a good combo though, do like that!
  • Hi,

Happy New Year to Everyone.
    Update on my Escarpe, I got a few bits for Christmas, to progress the build..new gear cable and rear brake line along with a set of Hope headset spacers
    20151227_105653.jpg

I've now got these all fitted along with the forks and cranks, so this is how she looks at the moment, grips have just been put on for ref
    20151231_121807.jpg
    20151231_121827.jpg

I still need to bleed the rear brake and Wheels are the next thing i need! could only stretch to a rear at the moment so have the New Hope Pro4 with Stans Arch Ex being built by PTcycles, hopefully be hear late next week.

Cheers
    Alan
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Flows are noticably heavier so unless you want a more square tyre shape or you are particularly rough on wheels I'd stick with Arch's. I couldn't really tell much difference (grip) with the wider rim when I switched to Flows. They are easier to get tyres on and off though because there is more room to play with.

I've been a bit undecided on Arches or Flows tbh, my old Arch Ex were great and having a look at the new 2106 Arch EX I may well get those, I'll fianlly make my mind up once the Pro4's are out.

I'd go for DT swiss EX471 rims over flows
  • New rear wheel arrived last week, thanks to PT-Cycles, have to say great servcie from them I was impressed.
    I've gone for a Hope Pro4 on Stans Arch Ex rim, I had the older Arch Ex's and they did me fine.
    20160115_101926.jpg

In the past I've normally run Maxxis tyres but trying some Schwalbe's this time, gone for a Nobby Nic Evo Pacestar on the rear and will get a Magic Mary for the front wheel when i get it ;).
    Fitted stans tape and currently have a tube in there to get everything settled. Fitted the cassette and set the gears the best I can, still need to bleed the rear brake after fitting a new hose.

Its finally starting to look like a bike.... lol cant wait to get it finished and get it dirty.
    20160118_105049.jpg
    20160118_105110.jpg
    20160118_105132.jpg
    20160118_105515.jpg

Cheers
    Alan
  • Hi,

Been a while but finally my Vitus Escarpe Pro is built and ready to go, I've put the final spec below (Will need to get a dropper post at some point) hope you like.....

FRAME : 2015 Vitus Escarpe Pro Frame 130mm Travel
    Shock - RockShox Monarch RT3 Debonair

FORK : RockShox Pike RCT3 150mm

CRANKS : Shimano SLX with Uberbike N/W 32T

SHIFTER : Shimano XTR 10 Speed
    REAR MECH : Shimano XT Shadow+
    CASS : Shimano XT with Hope 40T Expander

BRAKES : Shimano XT

WHEELS : Purple Hope Pro4 on Stans Arch EX
    REAR Tyre : Evo Nobby Nic Pacestar
    FRONT Tyre : Evo Hans Dampf Trailstar

STEM : Hope 50mm
    BARS : Easton Havoc Carbon
    GrIPS : Uberbike

PEADLS : Crank Bro Candy3

SEAT POST : Thomson Elite
    SEAT CLAMP : Hope
    SADDLE : Fizik Gobi XM

20160309_102541.jpg
    20160309_102550.jpg
    20160307_171614.jpg
    20160118_105132.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    that post looks really long for that frame. how much is below the collar? too much purple for my taste but nice looking bike none the less