apologies in advance - another bike sizing post...

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I apologise in advance, but for reasons which hopefully will excuse me I would like to ask for advice about bike size for me.

I have not owned a drop bar bike since more years ago than I wish to say, when I was a teenager. I have been riding a large boardman hybrid for the last 4 years and perfectly happy with fit & comfort, regularly riding 100km and 100mile rides.

Now that bike is FUBAR after being rammed in the side by a car, as is my fractured collarbone...

I am not 100% convinced about a move to drop bars but I am wondering whether to give it a try. One of the reasons being that I can get a lighter, higher spec drop bar bike than manufacturers offer in straight bars and I am cyrious to try it out properly.

My LBS has a lovely looking Whyte Stowe Ultegra 2015 for a grand off the normal asking price but its a 54 frame.

I am 6' 2" and 33" inside leg.

This sounded waay too small to me but the experienced guy in the LBS insisted it was the right size when queried and said he would do a bike fit to get it set up right,

Trouble is that I cant do that bike fit in current condition with arm in a sling. But if I wait, the bike may be gone.

So I am not asking if this bike is the right size for me at this point, merely whether that is even plausible for a 54 for someone of my size? The guy is experienced but can I trust his advice?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Way too small.
    I'd suggest a 58-60cm top tube measurement for you.
    Drop bars a great as you can move your hands to a variety of positions. I'd recommend some 'compact' bars such as deda Zero or 3T ergonova.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • apreading
    that was my thought - so small that i couldnt believe it unless it had abnormal geometry compared to other bikes. I know Whyte like to be a bit different...

I figured 58-60 - my son has a btwin triban 3 red in 58 which i only ever rode around the block but I felt it was ok but that maybe a little bit bigger would be better for me.

I guess the guy was just keen to shift last year's stock...!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Even the Whyte website says a 54cm would be suitable for 5'6 to 5'10... unless you're Ryder Hesjedal then the 57cm would be a much better option.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure you will need anything bigger than a 58

Have no idea on BTwin sizing, but guessing you did not adjust saddle fore and aft (or maybe even raised the saddle if you are taller than your son) before deciding a 58 was too small.

I think you are about to make that 'buying too big a first road bike' mistake.
  • napoleond
    Well I'm 6'1" and a 54 is like a clown bike for me. I ride a 58cm top tube with 120 or 130 stem depending on head tube angle / stem brand...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Just had a look at the Whyte Stowe geometry. I reckon even the 57 would be a push. Only has a 566 Top Tube.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Aspreading wrote:
    The guy is experienced but can I trust his advice?
    In a word NO. The fact that he's experienced would make me question his integrity, sounds like he's more interested in moving on some old stock than in you getting a good fit.

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/road/rrd-ca ... e-ultegra/

The sizing/geometry section from the above link lists 5'10" as the MAXIMUM rider height for that bike in a 54 cm. For your height it says you are at the upper height limit for a 57cm. I'd say that your local shop keeper is either a clown or charlatan, take your pick !
  • apreading
    Thanks guys - confirmed what I thought. Shame though as it looked a lovely bike and exactly like my dream bike with full ultegra and for a great price. Assuming the final buyer fits the bike, someone will get a fab deal there.

I wasnt 100% it was the right bike for me anyway though - was initially looking to see a Whyte Cornwall which is more of a relaxed geometry, which I think would suit me better anyway. Not sure a 57 will be big enough though so will deffo have to wait until shoulder is better to try one out.

Its a shame as I try hard to like this LBS, they are 100 yards from my office, but have tried for years and odd things like this keep putting me off. They have been very good to me at times too though, so its very much a mixed bag...
  • apreading
    OK now looking at Whyte Cornwall, which was the bike I had in mind to start with as it takes guards and is a bit more practical than the Stowe and supposedly more of a relaxed geometry.

LBS has a club night next monday and i can get 20% off, they dont have any in stock but I can still get the discount but would need to guess between a 57 and a 60.

57 says (5’9″ – 6’0″) with top tube of 568mm and stem of 110mm (standover 32")
    60 says (6’0″ – 6’3) with top tube of 593mm and stem of 120mm (standover 33")

I am 6'2" and just measured my required standover as 34" (measured from crotch to floor).

so sound like I should definately get a 60 but am worried if it is too big.

Cant properly test sizes in other bikes as i have a fractured clavicle from an RTC (which is why i need a new bike) but I suppose I could sit on a few in the shop from other makes and see what sizes feel comfortable, or is it pretty clear as the whyte website suggests that I need a 60 and a 57 would be too small or do you think whyte have got it wrong?

Obviously I dont totally trust the judgement of the LBS...

Or am I crazy and better to wait and pay £370 extra for the bike even though I still wouldnt be able to test ride it unless they felt like ordering one in...?
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Defo worth try before you buy!

I'm 6'3 with 33 inside leg and all 3 of my bikes are a 56'inch frame, I used to have a 58 but felt far to streched out on it.
  • apreading
    My son's Triban is actually a 60 and that didnt feel too big although I think they size up smaller than some other makes.

Sat on a Trek ALS in 60cm which measured similar top tube and it felt ok, not that this means a 60 will be the right for me but is hopefully close enough that stem adjustments would be within reasonable levels. The Whyte also has slacker angles, which I understand makes reach easier.

I am suspecting that I would flip the stem from -6 deg to +6 deg anyway for less drop and this alone reduces the reach, i could also shorten it by 20mm, er even max 30mm if necessary. According to this website http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php 100mm stem at +6 deg would reduce reach by 26mm.

Had a good chat to the owner of the shop and he said either size should be ok and when we discussed my riding preferences and checked a few other bikes, and checked the geometry on Whyte website, he said 60 sounded a reasonable choice and they would include a bike fit when I am well enough to do it.

Tempted to take a punt. Its either that or drop down to the suffolk 105, which does an in between 58 size that I am sure would be less of a risk but not necessarily the bike I want as its an alu frame. With the discount I can get on monday, even if i had to sell it on, the losses would be reduced and it would give me the chance to see if i can get to like drop bars or go back to flats.

Am I mad???
  • napoleond
    Yes. Just buy something! :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Frank pole wrote:
    Defo worth try before you buy!

I'm 6'3 with 33 inside leg and all 3 of my bikes are a 56'inch frame, I used to have a 58 but felt far to streched out on it.

A 56 inch frame is MASSIVE!!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • apreading
    argh - jus measured my sons triban whicj i said before feels a bit small for me and although its a 60 frame, the effective top tube is just over 560mm, with a 120mm stem.

so the bigger whyte wich has a 593mm top tube with 120mm stem might be a bit big but I could reduce the stem to 100mm and raise it up, bringing it closer.

if i get the smaller whyte it has a 568mm top tube and 110mm stem - this would make it around the same size as my son's bike but with a 57cm seat tube, I would need the seatpost up by a further inch, thus creating more drop which I dont want.

sounds like i should get the 57 but the whyte website says 6'0" is the max for that - some 2" shorter than me.

Should i ignore the manfacturer recommended sizes? Why are they different for this bike compared with the same manufacturer's Stowe which says the 57 goes up to 6'2"? the angles are slacker at 72 rather than 73 - how much effect does that have?
  • apreading
    Had 'proper' bike fit today and computer said the 57 with 110mm stem, which goes against what Whyte say but fits with competitive cyclist based on my measurements too. I think the 60 would have fit and worst case needed a 90mm stem but I am alot happier now - even if it isnt right at least there is a scientific basis for my decision now! And if it is too small, then my son will just get very lucky next birthday!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    Yes I'd have guessed at a 57cm though maybe with a bit of a longer stem than that - think those Whytes have a fairly tall front end anyway so should help.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    I'm just under 6'2" and ride a 57cm frame with a 120 stem and set back seat post. Not sure of the actual top tube off the top of my head. Used to ride a 60cm and feel happier on the smaller frame so in my experience that seems like the right choice.