Hinault's retirement statement

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited March 2016 in Pro race
"J'aurai 62 ans le 14 novembre, a déclaré à l'AFP le champion français. Je veux savourer ma retraite. J'ai un petit-fils qui a 16 mois et ce que je n'ai pas vécu avec mes enfants, j'ai envie de le vivre avec mon petit-fils.
Je pense que j'irai, si on veut bien de moi, au Gabon, je voudrais voir l'évolution du cyclisme africain, au Tour de l'Avenir, car ce sont des jeunes, et au Tour de Bretagne, puisque c'est chez moi.
J'ai moins de passion pour les courses des professionnels aux tactiques stéréotypées. Il n'y a plus d'improvisation alors qu'au Tour de Bretagne, ils se mettent de vraies peignées... C'est ce que le public attend. »
Et rassurez-vous, La 50ème édition vous offrira encore de belles "peignées"!!!

Does anyone know what "peignées" means in that context I know it is from to comb but does it also means hiding like a good hiding? It comes from the idea of combing wool.

He says he did not live with his children? Does he mean not seen them?

Comments

• I took it to mean he was on the road all the time
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    I've only seen it in the context of hiding, so I quickly checked I wasn't wrong & I seem to remember right:
    http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-en ... gn%C3%A9es
    WRT "vécu", I took it to mean that he hadn't had a full or real life with his children due to sporting commitments and could like to with his grand daughter
    It's been quite a while, so this could all be mince, mind
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

He says he did not live with his children? Does he mean not seen them?

I took it to mean that he wants to spend time with his grandchildren in a way he wasn't able to with his own children. presumably because he was away so much racing and training.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy