Fast Rolling Commuter Tyre

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting some tyres for road use and the odd gravel/fire road for my Procaliber 29er. Most of the roads will be back road type so not after a full slick or too narrow as will need to deal with pot holes, debris etc.

Thinking of Conti Spped King 2 as an initial thought.
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... TB-29/1883

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... TB-29/1859

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... MTB-29/301

I took the 700x35c marathon plus tyres off my commuter bike and used them on my hard tail with 29er stans flow rims for a bit.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Race kings? Kenda small block 8s that's if they are available in 29er
  • oodboo
    This was all ridden on 35c marathon plus tyres:
    https://youtu.be/B6tFlvHaNPc

How far is your commute?

Strava
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Take a look at the schwalbe G-One
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Can be anything up to 40 miles.

Got half an eye on London to Birmingham on the canal once we get more daylight so this may be a consideration as well.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • oodboo
    That's a lot of miles, the marathon plus might be heavy but I've done thousands of miles puncture free. They're not impenetrable but they are pretty reliable.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A few CX Tyres spring to mind as being a good proposition, Kenda small block 8, Schwalbe Smart Sam or Racing Ralph, in that order from fastest rolling to best off road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    Even a fast rolling cx tyre would be overkill for gravel, roads, tow paths etc. OP needs to look at gravel tyres or trekking tyres IMO

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on the nature of the gravel, but yes if it's hard packed with little/no loose and no mud then I'd agree.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Schwalbe Landcruisers are cheap, durable, hard-wearing. They have a central block that helps them roll well, but a little bit of tread either side of the central block that allows them to dig in when cornering on moderately soft or loose surfaces.

They are also heavy. They are not good in mud!

They have been the 'go-to' choice for many riders competing the 3 Peaks CX race for many years.

Its what I use most of the year on my CX bike for my commutes and a bit of light off-roading from Spring through to Autumn.

I tried the Smart Sam for a bit last year, rolled slightly more slowly than the LC's, gripped better on the loose stuff, were a good bit lighter, but somewhat puncture prone, and wore out quickly (especially the rear). Not going there again for my useage.

I'm about to try the WTB Nano Comp CX tyre for the forthcoming Dirty Reiver Gravel event around Kielder, and think they will be ideal for that. But no experience of them so far.
  • 97th choice
    Schwalbe Landcruisers are cheap, durable, hard-wearing. They have a central block that helps them roll well, but a little bit of tread either side of the central block that allows them to dig in when cornering on moderately soft or loose surfaces.

They are also heavy. They are not good in mud!

They have been the 'go-to' choice for many riders competing the 3 Peaks CX race for many years.

Its what I use most of the year on my CX bike for my commutes and a bit of light off-roading from Spring through to Autumn.

I tried the Smart Sam for a bit last year, rolled slightly more slowly than the LC's, gripped better on the loose stuff, were a good bit lighter, but somewhat puncture prone, and wore out quickly (especially the rear). Not going there again for my useage.

I'm about to try the WTB Nano Comp CX tyre for the forthcoming Dirty Reiver Gravel event around Kielder, and think they will be ideal for that. But no experience of them so far.

I've entered that, how's the training going?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Schwalbe Sammy Slick or Racing Ralph. Using Ralphs at the moment, use them for all my CX riding/training and commuting. Only time I change them is for racing. Roll really well on tarmac and grippy enough for mild mud.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554

Errm ... Not great!!

I ride regularly (commuting, and for work), and accumulate around 80-120km per week that way, plus usually a 30-40km MTB ride one evening per week. I also run. So my base level of fitness is alright. But I don't get the time (work, family, new house) to put in regular 6-8 hour rides, which is what I need. In addition to my commuting/working mileage (each ride might only be 20-60 mins), I'm going to do a 3 hours ride one evening a week for the next 4 weeks, plus get in probably two or three 4-5 hour rides on my day off between now and April 16th. Under-prepared, but it will have to do ...

I did the Sandstone Way last year (over 2 days - 125km / 90km, but over much lumpier terrain, and on a full-on knobbly HT) with similar preparation, so I think I'll get round ...

What about yourself?
  • 97th choice

Errm ... Not great!!

I ride regularly (commuting, and for work), and accumulate around 80-120km per week that way, plus usually a 30-40km MTB ride one evening per week. I also run. So my base level of fitness is alright. But I don't get the time (work, family, new house) to put in regular 6-8 hour rides, which is what I need. In addition to my commuting/working mileage (each ride might only be 20-60 mins), I'm going to do a 3 hours ride one evening a week for the next 4 weeks, plus get in probably two or three 4-5 hour rides on my day off between now and April 16th. Under-prepared, but it will have to do ...

I did the Sandstone Way last year (over 2 days - 125km / 90km, but over much lumpier terrain, and on a full-on knobbly HT) with similar preparation, so I think I'll get round ...

What about yourself?

Up to half distance so far but have been concentrating on the elevation rather than the distance, doing blocks of 400m of climbing for every 20k ridden and trying to average 20kph. Will be pushing that out to 160k once a week from now until a week before the event. Still feel woefully underprepared

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bet you, given the size, these will work really well.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-read ... g-one.html
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.