Which type of bike for beginner?

Venkman83
Venkman83 Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi folks,

I haven't ridden a bicycle for years but I'm looking to get one through my works cycle to work scheme. I am looking for a it of advice as to the type of bike to buy initially. I live about 17 miles from work and would like to build up to this commute eventually, I can do the journey by road and can jump on and off canal paths on route. I would also like to use the bike for leisure and just do routes around gravel paths and trails but not major off roading.

I have been looking at hard tail 29ers and thought maybe the Trek Marlin range as a beginner purchase, or possibly looking at a cyclocross bike.

Do any of you more experienced cyclists have any tips for my first purchase in terms of type of bike and models to look at?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For a 17mile commute a road bike will be much better than a mountain bike.
    My commute used to be 19 miles and was about 10-15 minutes faster on my road bike than my mountain bike. It was more comfortable as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, either a full road bike through to a CX, or at worst a road specific hybrid such as the Boardmans or Tribans, you don't want an MTB for that length of commute.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Have a look at the hybrids - I've had a Boardman MX Comp for 500 miles or so on mixed terrain - mail-nly road and it is fine. BTW just heard that he has had all his bikes stolen - Win 10 edge news.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    No one deserves to have their bikes stolen but for a man who is in charge of promoting cycling in the UK he couldn't do a worse job for mountain biking.
    His ideas about helmets are retarded as well.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    What has he said about helmets??
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nasha48 wrote:

That they don't save lives and that it's safer not to wear them because drivers give you more space. The drivers who are likely to give you more space are the ones who are less likely to be a problem anyway.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Well if he HAS actually said that publicly then clearly someone needs to get him to correct his comments before riders start taking notice, irresponsible is an understatement.

Apologies to the OP for jumping the thread. Agree with others, you don't want to be commuting regularly on the road with an MTB, even if it does include canal paths etc.
  • To get this thread back on track (hold on, Boardman did track cycling ;) ), OP, how big a voucher are you thinking of applying for given this will be your first bike in years?

At the lower end, you could spend up to ~£350 for a Voodoo Marassa, which is basically a rigid fork 29er with hydraulic brakes.

The Boardman Hybrid Pro will set you back ~£500 for a lighter equivalent (which will help on hills especially) and slightly better gearing with a frame that has nice tidy welds.

For £550, the 13 Implicit Beta gets you a carbon fork and better gearing again, well worth the extra cash above the Boardman Hybrid Pro in my opinion.

There are CX offerings from Voodoo, Boardman and 13 that will have clearance for 32+mm tyres (which will help for canal paths), but only the £999 Boardman CX Pro has hydraulic disc brakes (mechanical disc brakes will need regular tweaks to keep them working well).

For under £600 and getting something sensible, unlike say a Voodoo Wazoo or a Voodoo Bizango, right now I'd say the 13 Implicit Beta is the best buy in terms of spec and weight.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The marlin range are terrible for mountain bikes, never mind on the road. I agree a road bike of some sort, flat bars if drops don't appeal.

As for Chris Boardman, when did he say not wearing a helmet was safer?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I seem to remember it was more along the lines of it's better to get people out cycling without a helmet than them not cycling if forced to wear one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    There has been research that suggests motorists give more space to helmetless wobbly commuter types than pro looking lycra clad helmet wearing types.

Either because the wobbly types look like they need more space to wobble, or they just hate lycra.

My commuting style is firmly in the former.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    A CX bike would probably be best. Fast enough everywhere.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, while Boardmans wording (or maybe the post editing) was poor it wasn't quite as RMSC puts it.

He made the point about the research and also said that wearing a helmet wasn't the most important thing about making yourself safe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd have said not a MtB for roads but then a friend of mine told me about a guy he sees commuting in Exeter most days on a fatbike! So I guess you can't rule it out.
  • The Rookie
    A neighbour used to commute on an 8" travel Norco that weighed about 45lbs......only for 1.6 miles though!
  • WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    To keep the off topic chat going - CB commented that obesity kills a lot more people than bike helmets save and that if making helmets compulsory put people off cycling then making helmets compulsory would be a really bad idea because encouraging people to cycle helps to reduce obesity. He also admitted that he sometimes rides helmetless.

I can see his point but I also think that if helmets were made compulsory it wouldn't actually put that many people off riding bikes and therefore would add anything to the current obesity problem.

To return to topic - for such a commute, as others have said, definately not a mountain bike. Personally I no longer get on with drop bars so have a flat bar road bike. Basically a road orientated hybrid.
  • The Rookie
    The research suggesting helmets put enough people off cycling to make a law requiring bad for health came from Australia.

The only time I don't wear a helmet is when doing the grocery run on my town hack, it's a relatively low risk ride and having a helmet at the other end would be a PITA, otherwise I 100% wear one.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Nasha48 wrote:

That they don't save lives and that it's safer not to wear them because drivers give you more space. The drivers who are likely to give you more space are the ones who are less likely to be a problem anyway.
    Boardman has said those things (and backed them up to an extent with statistics) but to be fair to him he has said a LOT more than that about cycling safety in the UK and there are not many (any?) high profile cyclists campaigning harder than Boardman when it comes to cycling safety.

Boardman simply believes (and I agree with him) that focus on helmets and high vis puts all the responsibility for safety on the rider and takes away from the REAL solutions that will save lives - namely the creation of infrastructure that is safe at its core - the example being countries like Holland, Norway, Denmark etc where helmet use is lowest on the planet but cycling is also safer there than anywhere. Boardman is right - cycle safety is not just about the helmets.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The Rookie
    Agreed, you don't get knocked off, you don't need a helmet!
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:

Unless you're a bit rubbish and can fall off unaided.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Sorry CD, you are right, I should have thought of you.
  • cooldad
    My nurse makes me wear a padded helmet all the time. She says I'm speshul.

february21201413.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:

Unless you fall off.
    I met a paramedic once who attended a fatality on a canal tow path where a cyclist fell off and head butted a rock in the hedge.
    I've seen a few cycle helmets completely destroyed. Even if they hadn't saved the riders life they certainly prevented serious head injury.