Tyres for a newbie

big_chris-2
big_chris-2 Posts: 2,098
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
Been mountainbiking for years but I finally took the plunge and bought a Cube Peloton SL road bike. Having ridden my MTB on the road lots, complete with 2.4" knobbly tyres, going onto 23c road tyres has obviously been a bit of a shock! I'd like something a bit more plush while I break myself in (literally), so should I be looking at 25c or 28c? I've read a lot of riders are on 28c tyres so perhaps that's a good shout?

At the moment I'm doing 30miles max on a ride, I very much doubt I'll be doing any marathon rides in the near future and I won't be competing. Got a baby on the way so I fear my riding will be limited to few hours a week soon! :?

Any recommendations? I see CRC are doing the Continental Grand Prix 4000s II for £30 each , or the Conti Ultra Sport II are cheaper.
Something...

Comments

• GP4000S are always a good choice, I run those, in 25mm; so of course I would recommend getting those!

You could get 28mm but, a lot of frames have trouble fitting that width of tyre under the brakes and between the rear stays so I would be careful.

Speaking as someone who has a 2 month old baby I would recommend getting a turbo trainer tyre too ;)
  • big_chris-2
    Didn't think about width restriction, thanks. I can't seem to find any detals online as to what my Cube will take so I've emailed them.

I think my wife will probably have a meltdown if I bring the bike indoors on a turbo trainer, she's already stressing about the lack of space given all the crap we're having to buy for this nipper!
    Something...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    What brake calipers are fitted to the bike?
  • big_chris-2
    Shimano 105.
    Something...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've got a Cube Agree GTC and I don't think there would be clearance for 28mm tyres on it, so possibly wouldn't have clearance on the Peloton either. I would just go for 25mm tyres which will be fine.
  • big_chris-2
    I've emailed Cube and the shop where I bought the bike so we'll see what's what. I'd prefer 28 if I can really, will I notice a significant difference with 25 over the 23 though if not?
    Something...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    BiG CHRIS wrote:
    Shimano 105.

If they are 5800 11sp 105, they are designed with clearances for 28c tyres, however you would still need to check that your bike has sufficient fork and frame clearances. You will notice a difference over 23c tyres, if you are limited to 25c as a maximum.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Michelin pro4 endurance are a very good tyre, on offer at £22 with a tube at the mo!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... cat=direct
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons on the wet weather bike; they are very good, but have become stupidly expensive of late.

Trying 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC on the summer bike. Much more reasonably priced. They come up more like 27mm and the extra volume = extra comfort. They also seem pretty grippy and are not wearing too quickly. Pro4 Endurance are supposed to be more durable, so would be a better choice for this time of year.
  • I've been running these all winter, and they have been really good, especially if you can get them for half price. Unfortunately Wiggle are out of stock of the 25mm, but they do have 28mm if you decide to go down this route.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vredestein-fort ... road-tyre/

My 25mm are a 'true' 25mm, unlike some Specialized tyres I have that are advertised as 25mm, but measure more like 27mm. Never had a p******** all winter, which given the state of the roads round here is a miracle.
  • relk
    relk Posts: 21
    If you can get them, buy Veloflex 25mm tires. Best riding tires that I've ever had an I have four times less punctures. Also the ride quality is superb.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A lot comes down to what you want from the tyres. The GP4000sII are lovely tyres...they are at the top end of performance so they roll really well, they are light, feel supple and have a great grip in all weathers. The downsides? Well, puncture protection is not the best and they are not the most durable (they do cut up a bit, particularly if you live in an area prone to sharp flints, etc). The other downside is that they are not cheap but £30 is a bargain.

So, what are you looking for in a tyre?