Samyn spoilers

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited March 2016 in Pro race
On live now

Tough conditions . I just had a ride here and it looks exactly the same conditions - crosswinds!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    that's giving me no hope that my club run tonight might be any different :(

Emma Johannsen won the girls...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Terpstra Wakes up, yawns, farts and drops Scott Thwaites (and everyone else) with 15km to go

Conditions look hella hard...
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,871
    Terpstra just cemented his rep as a bit of a tool.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Theaites making it look really hard, but terrific ride
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    A tough old day.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    ddraver wrote:

Actually it was Blaak and she's a woman
  • enjoyed that proper hard day - mistake by Thwaites as he red lined taking a turn then got dropped but pegged Terpstra at 15 secs - that was just a sense of duty - no good in those conditions - he had the energy but used it too soon
  • ddraver
    inseine wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Actually it was Blaak and she's a woman

Oh yeah, dear Sarah was struggling
    - @ddraver
  • Thwaites and Terpstra were in an earlier break as well, they got caught and then went again. Which just makes Thwaites' ride all the more impressive.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • That was as good as Ghent Wevelgem last year, just without the big names. Even Terpstra was struggling in the wind, so it was one helluva ride by Thwaites to keep him within a handful of seconds for 20k
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,871
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Looks miserable. That and its not exactly picturesque- the last cobble segment seems to be between a police station and a builders/heavy plant yard!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Nice win for Terpstra- just too strong for the rest and broke them all. Nice effort from Thwaites though.

(Just realised that I am watching the end of the race from yesterday! I blame my addled mind...)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Love that piece of rough arse cobbles through the fields. Really enjoyed this last year as well.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    menthel wrote:
    Looks miserable. That and its not exactly picturesque- the last cobble segment seems to be between a police station and a builders/heavy plant yard!

It's a shame that as the pave looks really tough.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    That was as good as Ghent Wevelgem last year, just without the big names. Even Terpstra was struggling in the wind, so it was one helluva ride by Thwaites to keep him within a handful of seconds for 20k

Even more so given he was riding an unnatural cadence. Bora have an Argon coming for the big classics but it was not available at Le Samyn so used the standard road bike. Light, stiff, only capable of taking relatively narrow high pressure tubs. Great on smooth tarmac, but uncomfortable and bouncing all over the place on rough roads and cobbles. To overcome the lack of traction with higher cadence encountered in the early part of the race, he changed and chose to beast a monster gear which looked ragged, but proved effective given his result.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Power file from point of Terpstra's attack.

https://twitter.com/Scott_Thwaites1