Rubber gloves for roadside repairs

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited March 2016 in Commuting general
Does anyone have any recommendations for which rubber gloves to buy for doing mucky roadside repairs on the way to work?

I had a puncture the other day (2nd ever, in tens of thousands of miles) and by the time I was on my way, my hands were absolutely black and even a very thorough scrub in the sink on arrival at work was not enough to make them respectable.

I've seen other cyclists repairing punctures with blue rubber gloves on, which seems like an intelligent solution to this problem. I'm looking for something that's tough enough to withstand getting a tyre back on the rim, without being so thick as to present challenges with dexterity. Although my winter cycling gloves do a good job of keeping my hands warm, they are too thick and bulky to wear while doing roadside repairs.

thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    andyeb wrote:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for which rubber gloves to buy for doing mucky roadside repairs on the way to work?

I had a puncture the other day (2nd ever, in tens of thousands of miles) and by the time I was on my way, my hands were absolutely black and even a very thorough scrub in the sink on arrival at work was not enough to make them respectable.

I've seen other cyclists repairing punctures with blue rubber gloves on, which seems like an intelligent solution to this problem. I'm looking for something that's tough enough to withstand getting a tyre back on the rim, without being so thick as to present challenges with dexterity. Although my winter cycling gloves do a good job of keeping my hands warm, they are too thick and bulky to wear while doing roadside repairs.

thanks,

Andrew

Black Mamba Nitrile. Probably not strong enough to lever a tyre on with just your thumbs - but good enough for most else.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Ah cool - exactly what I was looking for - thanks.

Surprisingly hard to find what you are looking for on most of the big online retailers unless you know what you are looking for.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I bought a box of the black mambas recently. They're expensive for disposable gloves, but I haven't managed to nick one yet while doing cleaning or maintenance, and the cheap gloves I used to buy would end up with a hole in them almost as soon as I put them on.
  • imatfaal
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I bought a box of the black mambas recently. They're expensive for disposable gloves, but I haven't managed to nick one yet while doing cleaning or maintenance, and the cheap gloves I used to buy would end up with a hole in them almost as soon as I put them on.

Exactly - no point keeping most of the hand clean if you immediately hole the index fingers and end up with mechanics fingernails.
  • Never use them, my commuter has disc brakes.
  • imatfaal
    Never use them, my commuter has disc brakes.

Sorry - bit lost. So does mine - it is still covered in mud/road-dirt and lots of it is oily
  • imatfaal wrote:

Sorry - bit lost. So does mine - it is still covered in mud/road-dirt and lots of it is oily

A bit of mud isn't a problem, that just brushes off - never found oil a problem but your commute may be more grubby. Rim brakes on the other hand produce that black paste of aluminum and brake pad which gets into every pore!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Most DIY shops sell them in packs cheaply. Unless you are really going for the cheap ones are fine.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:

A bit of mud isn't a problem, that just brushes off - never found oil a problem but your commute may be more grubby. Rim brakes on the other hand produce that black paste of aluminum and brake pad which gets into every pore!

Just read in other thread that your commute is across the South Downs - mine is from suburban Essex to Victoria; the crap on my bike is not just nasty and dirty but probably toxic and carcinogenic. When the roads are wet the majority comes up off the road with the spray rather than from the bike itself

I love my tiny bits of greenery and nature on the way to work - Wanstead Flats and the Canal - with a commute like yours I would probably OD and just ride around in circles and never get to work
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In the past I've bought blue ones by price but bought a box of GL8092 gloves which are thicker than others and will only buy that type of glove now. Not ripped or torn one in use other than when I used the palm of my hand to stop a fast spinning rear wheel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Latex gloves any type should be ok, luckily I have plentiful supply at work I also put two pairs on, however putting a tyre on is likely to burst them. Hazards of the job unfortunately.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Do you know any nurses? You'll have a free supply for years, if you do ask them for some alcohol wipes at the same time, very handy.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I use the blue, powder free nitrile gloves from Bodyguard (that's usually what's stocked at work too!)

I think any thin nitrile glove will split if caught, say, in a tyre bead. I have been known to double up on gloves for more difficult tasks.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    I just bought a box of blue nitrile ones from St Johns ambulance on Amazon. They were the cheapest as well. Don't know how they'll cope with getting a tyre back on a rim yet, but they are fine around the workshop. I also keep 2 wet wipes in a little ziploc bag in case of needing to wipe my hands off afterwards.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    The nitrile ones are OK for keeping your hands clean on some jobs but will rip fairly easily if they come into contact with anything sharp. If your tyres are a tight fit then they could get ripped during removal or refitting too.
    Not cheap (I got a free pair at a show) but these would be much more durable:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-mec ... ip-gloves/
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have now removed a pair of Marathon Winters and fitted a pair of Marathon Pluses while wearing the black mambas. Caught the gloves a couple of times between bead and rim while fitting the pluses, and they survived unripped, which I was pretty impressed with.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Interesting - I'l have to try some of those black mambas as they do sound better than the blue nitrile ones I've been using.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    £5 for a box of 100 latex lightly powdered from my local chemist. Keep 2 pairs in my rucksack at all times. Can rip sometimes but good vfm and keep your hands clean

(But sweaty!)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've just grabbed 2 pairs of work gloves for £2 from aldi, which are of the pu coated soft fabric on the front type. Seem pretty strong, and nice and light, so added a pair to the underseat bag.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've been using latex gloves for years but got fed up with how flimsy they are sometimes going through four or five sets on a full strip and rebuild so looked for something a bit more robust and totally lucked out by finding black tattooist gloves these things are like a second skin and tough as nails, they don't warp when you spill chemicals on them and last and last and last, I'm using one set every could of weeks now and mostly changing them becuase they're covered in grease rather than split.

£5 on eBay
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • steve55
    steve55 Posts: 19
    Some good recommendations. I have found that regular marigolds washing up gloves from Tesco's work absolutely fine and are cheap as chips. I have put tyres on and off with them and have been able to continue to reuse the gloves.
  • I always keep a pair of Black Mamba gloves in the seatpack with the tools etc. They are tough enough to withstand several uses. I found they come up quite small in size though.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Just ordinary vinyl disposable ones. Once they rip they get disposed of. Always carry a couple of pairs. I've given some away to cyclists stuck at the roadside. Surprising how many cyclists dont have a pair with them. Saves your gloves/kit/handlebar tape from the grime