Tubeless

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
I am sure this has been discussed before but I could only find one thread where someone was asking about tubeless pumps.

I am getting a new wheelset that is "tubeless ready" and contemplating whether it is worth going down the route of getting tubeless tyres. But I have some questions

Are they really more puncture resistant ?
is it messy dealing with the sealant ?
do they really ride better ?

thanks
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    fat_tail wrote:
    I am sure this has been discussed before but I could only find one thread where someone was asking about tubeless pumps.

I am getting a new wheelset that is "tubeless ready" and contemplating whether it is worth going down the route of getting tubeless tyres. But I have some questions

Are they really more puncture resistant ?
    is it messy dealing with the sealant ?
    do they really ride better ?

thanks

Big thread in road buying advice but:

Not really, the point is rather that you might not notice the minor ones. But they can be tougher.
    Yes. There are methods to get round this. Get a giant syringe.
    Yes. A bit.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I only know about this from an MTB point of view:

[*]Are they really more puncture resistant ? - ~Yes, you may get a puncture but it seals easily and permanently, you might need to top up with air but you don't need to do anything else
    [*]is it messy dealing with the sealant ? - when you are initially putting some in the tyre then possibly, yes. you don't need to touch it other than that
    [*]do they really ride better ? yes, they ride more like tubs than a tyre with an inner tube

Try some Schwalbe 1's, you need tubeless specific tyres for road. you can do it with any tyre on MTB but not road
    FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with MTB here, same experience
    1/ Not puncture resistant as such, but you rarely get a flat, twice I've heard a "hiss...splutter....silence" quite clearly as the tyre punctures and then the sealant does it's thing.
    2/ Messiness depends on how you do it, if you have removable valve cores then its not messy inflating it at all, inflate and locate beads, deflate, remove core and add sealant, inflate to pressure.
    3/ Ride quality is much improved, tyres also role better (less rolling resistance).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13015799

in short, it has the same benefits as MTB tubeless but all the faff too. If you use parts designed for tubeless it's far easier, if you ghetto it, it's more difficult. I'm a total convert FWIW
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Try some Schwalbe 1's, you need tubeless specific tyres for road. you can do it with any tyre on MTB but not road

For MTB tubeless I thought you still needed tubeless specific tyres but any rim could be converted??
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It was easier but not necessary - you had to get the tyre sealed with the sealant which was somewhat challenging on a 2.3in tyre.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost any MTB folding will go up tubeless, none of mine are 'tubeless' tyres.

I bought a Stans kit with the tiny 50ml bottle of sealant as it makes it easy to add the sealant cleanly via a removable core valve, I just refill it each time from a 1 litre bottle.

My commuter is tubed, with 2 fairy visits in over 5K miles (neither went straight down and I got it to the end of the commute) I haven't bothered trying!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.