Non-Paying buyers - eBay

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited November 2016 in The hub
Hey guys,

I've been selling a few bits and pieces on eBay (as usual) and then this evening around 10 minutes before a listing was due to finish the highest bidder contacted me with some lame ass excuse stating the basically have no intention of paying for the item.... I don't know if any of you sell on eBay but this has to be the single most frustrating thing possible, now not only am I stuck waiting a week for the non-paying process to go through but will also need to relist the item and wait another week for the auction to run.... While hoping that I don't get another non-paying buyer.... Does anyone know if there is a way to stop people doing this as it's become a "new trend" as of late with a lot of my auctions :(

Maybe it's time to find an alternative selling website....

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't you delete their bids? I think you used to be able to.

Some are just dicks though - sold a bed last night, collection only obviously, and winner asked me if I could deliver it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    cooldad wrote:

Some are just dicks though - sold a bed last night, collection only obviously, and winner asked me if I could deliver it.

was asking kindly for a brd test 8)
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't delete the bids close to the end of the auction.

What eBay should (and don't) do is have an automatic negative feedback on buyers who refuse to pay without reason, as it stands you can't leave negative feedback. Additionally, despite eBay claiming bidding is entering a legal contract they won't provide the bidders details to a seller to allow them to take legal action for the breach of contract
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Herdwick wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

was asking kindly for a brd test 8)

She did turn out to be both sweet and cute. Unfortunately I am happily involved with another.

I did deliver though, for a chunky fee, which worked out quite well as I was driving past anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    cooldad wrote:

Seems to happen a lot. Happened to me when selling a bike frame, very clear about it being collection only. Answered many questions of "Will you deliver" and answered "No!", in the end the winning bidder just said they weren't going to collect it but would send me a bike box to post back - I was in no mood to argue so went along with it.
  • eBay is full of idiots these days . Sold a item last week and wasn't paid , contacted buyer and was told she would pay the following day but never happened. Very hard to leave negative feedback as iPhone app just won't allow it .
  • Similar problem with sellers. I've bought a number of things and had the seller say the item had gotten mysteriously broken after the end of the auction (presumably because they didn't like the bargain price I won the item for).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Think there is a second chance option somewhere so the person with the second highest bid gets offered a chance to buy the item.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    The only thing you can do is leave a non-paying bidder strike. eBay supposedly take action if 3 are awarded.

Using Buy it Now with instant payment avoids this as the transaction isn't complete and is still available for someone else to buy until payment is made.
  • i sell on ebay a lot. ive got a ebay score of 875 and its 100% good

on all my listing i put the following at the end of the listing

""UK ONLY AUCTION
    PAYPAL OR CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY

If you have a feedback of Less Than 50 please do not bid without contacting me first
    (if so your bid will be removed and you will be blocked)

This is due to non paying time wasters and people who do not understand English""

ive been putting this on my listings for about 2 years now, because i have had non paying time wasters bid on things and ive had to fight to get my sellers fee's back and re-list and wait another week to see if it sell's.

just keep a eye on your listing and if you do get bids who are below the feedback amount just remove their bid and then block them.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/manag ... rs_ov.html

you will see that in the link it takes you to ebay and you can put people's ebay user name on a block list
    (blocking bidders and buyers)

also you will see a cancelling bids link on that same page.

it does work, ive got about 100 on my block list. if they dont read your ebay listing and can not be bothered to contact you as stated in your listing you have to assume they are a time waster and not really interested.