Garmin Virb and Edge compatible mount

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
I see Garmin do one https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by ... 56-22.html but I believe it is only for the X / XE models - any idea if this will be compatible with the standard Virb and if not, is there any other mount available to buy?
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yes it will. In the box with the Virb is an adapter to go from Virb to Go-Pro type mounts, I use the adapter on my K-Edge saddle rail mount, or used to till I got a Virb XE. Only buy an alu mount, the 3d printed or plastic mounts aren't stiff enough for a camera or light. Raceware do various mounts if you want to mount a light under the Edge.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gabriel959
    Thanks Redvee! So the Garmin out of front plastic mount is no good? As it is made of hard plastic (if it is like the standard garmin out of front mount)

I have seen the K-edge mounts but they seem to be camera or edge unit exclusively not both of them. Tried to look at the raceware website but seems down?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Found the K-Edge one - £40 though! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-Edge-Combo- ... b-azK_sctQ
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    I've the K-Edge XL metal one, think the cheapest I could get it was around £40 from Evans... just checked my previous orders and it's back up to £49 which I think's a lot of cash for what it is though. It does however, hold my Edge and Virb well no movement from what I can see.

The only issues I've found with it was an extremely tight fitting for the Virb connector into the K-edge, I had to use some WD40 and still force it in, I felt I was going to break it and it's fiddly swapping bikes with it as it's 2 screws but only an extra couple of mins but still fiddly and awkward but I'm sure the more I do it the better I'll get :)
  • jefflad
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Found the K-Edge one - £40 though! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-Edge-Combo- ... b-azK_sctQ

I think you need the XL one... I seem to remember when I did my research that due to the length of the Virb you'd be better off with the XL one and as I had the 810 it was recommended too, same for the 1000 if you have that one.

Unless someone reading this thread know's different :oops:
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for the feedback - and the link! I have a Garmin Edsge 520 so might be ok with the standard one? £40 quid though :( Isn't the Garmin one good enough?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • jefflad
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback - and the link! I have a Garmin Edsge 520 so might be ok with the standard one? £40 quid though :( Isn't the Garmin one good enough?

I like the fact it's metal, once you team the mount up with the Virb and Edge it does seem quite heavy and the added sturdiness of the mount gives some reassurance... I do recall someone commenting they use a bog standard out front mount that came with his Edge device and the Virb mount attached via glue and a screw underneath it, he seemed quite happy with it :shock:
  • gabriel959
    hahaha, that sounds a bit hardcore (the glue bit), I am a bit apprehensive about paying so much for something that costs so little to produce. The Garmin combo mount is £25 so a fair bit cheaper. Might go for that. I do appreciate the K-Edge is a superior product though, it does look good but £40 on a £60 camera sounds overkill :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    jefflad wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I do recall someone commenting they use a bog standard out front mount that came with his Edge device and the Virb mount attached via glue and a screw underneath it, he seemed quite happy with it :shock:
    There's a DIY video for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bo8bgzzixs
  • gabriel959
    That looks ok, but to be honest you still need an out of front mount (and I need to buy one for this bike anyway) so I might just as well buy a new one.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I bought this non-branded aloominum one on the Bay - much cheaper.

I use it for the GoPro not virb altho I think the mounting bracket is the same. It holds them both superbly and the Garmin is much more nicely positioned out front than on the stem and easy to read.

18-02-2016_01.jpg

18-02-2016_05.jpg

18-02-2016_06.jpg

However the footage from the GoPro is much more unstable, much more shaky than the rock solid rear facing saddle mount.

Have a look at this vid I shot on Sunday and only just uploaded earlier this evening. It shows a number of views. Rear facing always rock solid even at 40mph but the front facing is very shaky

Every Day is a Winding Road
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    I've got a £20 aloominium offering on it's way from China

1508272620.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-Bicy ... 86084.html
  • gabriel959
    Both of those look good and cheap but I have read reports saying that using non approved mounts can cause the edges of the unit (where it attaches to the mount) to round off a bit and the unit not being as secure. Is there any truth to this?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • mtb-idle
    I have read that some mounts do this where the alu casting wears away the plastic mount on the rear of the Garmin.

But I think the insert on the one I got (you can see it in the pic above) is plastic although I can't guarantee that as I haven't examined it that closely.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    oh and just to add to this, if you think about the standard 'approved' mounts that usually sit on your stem I would imagine they cost all of about sixpence to manufacture

410SbaQK4VL.jpg

it's not as if they are laser cut or something like that, just cheap bits of plastic made in a factory.
    FCN = 4
  • gabriel959
    oh yes, I do realise that - I just want to cover my back in case the connection tabs become rounded off and they claim is because I have been using a 3rd party mount.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I bought a plazzy one from eBay for £3 - seems to be fine
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • mtb-idle
    well, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice as they say.

My choice was the cheapo mount and aside from a bit of first world problem camera wobble I'm more than happy with it.
    FCN = 4
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I'm waiting on my £60 virb too. Had no idea mounts were so expensive. Picked up a £6 alloy one off ebay which I just received and looks decent (doesn't hold a computer though).
  • mtb-idle
    I checked when I got home. My eight quid alu mount above has a plastic insert. Sorted!
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee wrote:
    I've got a £20 aloominium offering on it's way from China

1508272620.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-Bicy ... 86084.html

Should have been with me on Monday but needed a signature and I wasn't home so picked it up from the sorting office today. Has the plastic insert but has shallow 2.5mm headed domed bolts which I changed for deeper 3mm hex socket bolts, I've got to cut one down but 2 minutes work to sort length and dremel the excess off. It did take a month to arrive from China though.
  • jefflad
    pastryboy wrote:
    I'm waiting on my £60 virb too. Had no idea mounts were so expensive. Picked up a £6 alloy one off ebay which I just received and looks decent (doesn't hold a computer though).

Where's the £60 Virb, I've seen them around the £70-£80 mark but not that low... cheers!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Was in the bargains thread on Monday £75 with 20% off from sportpursuit. Unfortunately the code's now expired.

Camera arrived today but won't do anything without an SD card and that's still in the post.
  • jefflad
    pastryboy wrote:
    Was in the bargains thread on Monday £75 with 20% off from sportpursuit. Unfortunately the code's now expired.

Camera arrived today but won't do anything without an SD card and that's still in the post.

Ahhh OK... missed that as was thinking of adding one for a rear camera as have been impressed with the one I've got.