53 36T?

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Buying a Dura Ace 9000 chainset and noticed the 53 39 combo is far cheaper than the 52 36 option.

But I would like the 36t inner ring for Alps holidays after using a 53 39 and 28t cassette this year.

Will 36t inner work with a 53t outer ring?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    34/50 is not uncommon amongst compacts and that is a 16 tooth jump. You will probably need a compact front mech, which has a different profile/size inner plate.
    Will the standard chainset support a 36t inner chainring (presuming it is standard 130/135bcd)?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, a 53/39 chainset will feature 130mm BCD chainrings - the smallest chainring you can fit is 38 teeth. If you want to run 53/36 then you'll need a compact / 110mm BCD crank.

Most road front mechs are designed to cope with a 16 tooth difference - it will probably work with 53/36 but you'd want to adjust the front mech to give minimum clearance otherwise there's a risk that the chain will drag along the bottom of the cage in the inner ring
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The reason why 52-36 chainsets are significantly more expensive than either a racing 53-39 or a compact 50-34 is demand. Nowadays everyone who isn't racing wants the modern compact 52-36 chainsets, so much so that bike shops are charging a premium soley because demand is so high.

To answer your second question. The new shimano dura ace 9000 and ultegra 6800 cranks have a four arm spider with a 110 BCD, so they can use any combination of chainrings from a 50-34 to a massive 55-42.

If you are looking to use an inner chainring of less than 38 teeth, then a crankset with a 110 BCD will be required.

I hope this helps...SD
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Thanks guys - SD just the info I was looking for :)
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Is there really that much difference in price that you'd splash out extra on an additional chainring that may not shift so well? 52-36 is £320 at Wiggle. Dont forget all the ramps and pins are designed to work together on pairs of chainrings - so fitting a 36 ring on a 53-39 chainset may not work as well as the 52-36 designed for the job. Given Shimano's reputation for their front shifting being so good - it seems their design works well
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Generally, a 53/39 chainset will feature 130mm BCD chainrings - the smallest chainring you can fit is 38 teeth. If you want to run 53/36 then you'll need a compact / 110mm BCD cranks

This is not the case with a Dura Ace 9000 is a whole new chainring standard, and it only has one, so the 53x39 chainset will take an inner 36T ring, the problem will come with sourcing one.

The part number is Y1N236000 and it will probably work with the 53 from a 53x39 - it's a relatively cheap part (unlike the outer chainring of the 9000 which is an expensive part, so expensive there's no way I'd buy a shimano 9000 crankset) but doesn't appear on any of the European sites that I can see.

It's also possible that the 53x36 is not a "supported" combination, but it'll probably work.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Moby78
    Moby78 Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience of the Dura ace 9000 with 53-36? Am also about to do an Alps trip and want the ranges for both climbing and descending. Currently have standard 53-39.

Am about to order the 36 inner, but I'm a little wary as i was told a good rule of thumb is a difference of 16 teeth or more likely to drop the chain when changing (as mentioned). Also, I've got the DA 9070 Di2, so does that make a difference?
  • tyhsia
    tyhsia Posts: 1
    Yup. Being running the 'unsupported' 53/36 combination for over a year now and the shifting is totally fine. And the 36T inner ring, if you can get it, was easy to replace the 39 that came with my group set. Got this idea initially from reading about this hybrid combination used by Belkin riders. With a 11-28 cassette, everything is covered. Only thing is I was only able to get the 36 inner ring from the States.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    You will probably need a compact front mech, which has a different profile/size inner plate.

There is, and as far as I am aware never has been, such a thing.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • pinno
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    You will probably need a compact front mech, which has a different profile/size inner plate.

There is, and as far as I am aware never has been, such a thing.

Wrong word - triple, such as this:

CPB221TR.jpg?w=125&h=125&a=7
  • possibly asking the same question here, but I'm running sram force 22 yaw with a standard 53/39. I'm wondering if its possible to change the inner ring to 36 and keep the 53, without changing other parts?
    Any thoughts?
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Generally, a 53/39 chainset will feature 130mm BCD chainrings - the smallest chainring you can fit is 38 teeth. If you want to run 53/36 then you'll need a compact / 110mm BCD crank.

Agreed - generally this is true. The new Shimano stuff though, as pointed out, uses a 110 mm BCD 4 arm spider for all options.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    possibly asking the same question here, but I'm running sram force 22 yaw with a standard 53/39. I'm wondering if its possible to change the inner ring to 36 and keep the 53, without changing other parts?
    Any thoughts?

As mentioned earlier in the thread - it depends on the BCD of your crank spider. If you have 130mm - no. If you have 110mm - yes.
  • pinno
    There's a thread going on that this could be linked in with...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't....just don't....
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Imposter wrote:
    possibly asking the same question here, but I'm running sram force 22 yaw with a standard 53/39. I'm wondering if its possible to change the inner ring to 36 and keep the 53, without changing other parts?
    Any thoughts?

As mentioned earlier in the thread - it depends on the BCD of your crank spider. If you have 130mm - no. If you have 110mm - yes.

Wotnoshoeseh is correct. There is no such thing as 'compact' or 'standard', the new 9000 Dura Ace cranks are all 4 arm 110 PCD. The carnk arm will take 53/39, 52/36 or 50/34
  • pinno
    Imposter wrote:
    Don't....just don't....

Somebody did and it wasnae me.
  • I’ve been using 53/36 FSA chainset with 11/28 cassette for some months now with no issues whatsoever. Was initially hesitant but got the 36 inner ring cheap so thought it worth a try. I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work with Dura ace chainset.
    To be clear, the remaining drive parts are Dura ace 9000.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another candidate for grave-dig of the year :roll: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D