Abdominal muscles hurt

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
Newish bike (xc 16" frame), me 5'8" 11 stone with a paunch.

I'm not the healthiest having smoked for 16 yrs with little / no exercise. Been leisure riding for ladt 2 1/2 yrs mainly in Summer months.

Did a 31 mile ride yesterday which fncked me, legs were on fire. I expected some pain but today my abs are killing me! Bike is a typical xc set up and my seat was angled slightly forward.

What are the mechanics of my abs hurting and could It be down to the set up of the bike?... Or do I just need to toughen up? :D

Thanks.

Comments

• Were you up out of the saddle a lot more than normal?

Struggling to see how sitting would out much strain on the abs.
  • Ride was pretty flat really, bit lumpy & bumpy; canal towpaths etc...

Still trying to tweak the set up as its new and seat was angled forward if this could contribute? Had the forks locked out too for over half of it if this could have an effect?

As you may have noted from other posts, my tyre pressures wouldn't have done much for comfort (38/40 psi) either.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Newish bike (xc 16" frame), me 5'8" 11 stone with a paunch.

I'm not the healthiest having smoked for 16 yrs with little / no exercise. Been leisure riding for ladt 2 1/2 yrs mainly in Summer months.

Did a 31 mile ride yesterday which fncked me, legs were on fire. I expected some pain but today my abs are killing me! Bike is a typical xc set up and my seat was angled slightly forward.

What are the mechanics of my abs hurting and could It be down to the set up of the bike?... Or do I just need to toughen up? :D

Thanks.

Could be down to the setup. If you know someone with a lot of expereince, get them to take a look at your setup.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post a picture of your bike, but if your saddle was tilted forward you were probably straining not to slide. Level is generally best.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps lots of bits hurt when you're not used to stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Post a picture of your bike, but if your saddle was tilted forward you were probably straining not to slide. Level is generally best.

Seat has been levelled since last ride & this photo was taken.

image_1.jpeg