Ways to make bicycle quick release more visible at night?

Mortsty
Mortsty Posts: 18
edited March 2016 in Commuting general
Afternoon everyone,

I used my bicycle trailer last week to take some scuba diving kit to the pool and to cut the story short, one of the springs and quick release bolts shot out as I tried to reattach my bicycle trailer at night (as I had to undo it to lock it up with the bike). I couldn't see the spring amongst the pavement so I was stranded (and it didnt help the locking bolt fell into a nearby drain!).

So I was wondering if I can do anything to make these parts visible at night in the even something similar happens again? I was thinking about painting it but I presume it would eventually come off from the friction generated by attaching and removing the bicycle trailer.

I now keep spare parts in my rucksack if need be as a precaution.

Thanks for your help,

Samuel

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Mortsty wrote:
    Afternoon everyone,

I used my bicycle trailer last week to take some scuba diving kit to the pool and to cut the story short, one of the springs and quick release bolts shot out as I tried to reattach my bicycle trailer at night (as I had to undo it to lock it up with the bike). I couldn't see the spring amongst the pavement so I was stranded (and it didnt help the locking bolt fell into a nearby drain!).

So I was wondering if I can do anything to make these parts visible at night in the even something similar happens again? I was thinking about painting it but I presume it would eventually come off from the friction generated by attaching and removing the bicycle trailer.

I now keep spare parts in my rucksack if need be as a precaution.

Thanks for your help,

Samuel

Surely keep the spare parts in the trailer not in the everyday rucksack.

To make thing visible (slightly more visible) in the dark make sure you buy blingy. I was changing a tyre in pitch black forest when a friendly soul stopped to help - well just before he stopped he kicked my tool bottle flying. Most of the tools were already out and the ones that went flying were found because - completely by luck - they were the chromed tools and shone like a beacon as a I swept my (admittedly shamefully bright) light across the forest floor
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The springs are only to aid centring the QR for fitment - once the QR is done up they are redundant, I always take my rear springs out as they really aren't needed, I leave them in the front to aid getting past the 'lawyers lips'.

I'd just paint them with a gloss white paint (modeling stuff) and refresh when needed, you can get glow in the dark paint but it doesn't last long and a small amount of grime renders it useless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.