Stem steerer clamp height

clydefrog
clydefrog Posts: 162
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Is the end of the stem that clamps onto the steerer tube a standard height? Or can they vary?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They vary.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Do they usually come with any spacers then or would you have to buy those as well if buying a new stem?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Spacers extra and varied.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks, that's a shame, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go hunting for 1mm spacers which is probably what I'd need as I'm guessing the difference in the heights is very small. They don't seem too common either.
  • nicklouse
    Common as muck. Many colours and materials.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Actually I just realised the top of the stem can go above the top of the steerer tube up to about 5mm can't it, as long as there is still a good grip on the tube, correct? It doesn't have to sit flush with the top of the tube? I'll open mine up tomorrow and see how much space I've got between the stem and the tube, hopefully if the new one is close enough in size to what I already have then there won't be a problem unless mine sits flush with the tube and the new stem is shorter.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It mustn't sit flush or you can't tension the headset bearings. There has to be a gap of at least a few mm. The top of the steerer should not be lower than the top stem bolt.

As Nick said, spacers are a dime a dozen on Ebay or any bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah ok good. If I have an issue with spacers I'll go to the LBS and hope they have what's needed. Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    also the top of the steerer MUST be above the centerline of the top clamping bolt.

you can also fit spacers above he stem.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Of course, the other option, that nobody's mentioned yet, is that you can cut the steerer down, so it's the right length for your new stem/spacer stack (of course it may limit your future options, so think about that sort of thing first).