Hedge Cutting Brigade out in force

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2016 in Road general
Time of year i guess. On the way in to work this morning i passed 5 different hedge cutters - all of whom were happily leaving the debris in the road i might add.
:evil:

Comments

• I think you'll find they're cutting the hedges so that you can see round bends and aren't forced into the middle of the road?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    redvision wrote:
    Time of year i guess. On the way in to work this morning i passed 5 different hedge cutters - all of whom were happily leaving the debris in the road i might add.

This happens. It has happened for as long as I can remember and is not really an issue.

There are also seasons when tractors and trailers leave muddy tyre tracks on the tarmac near gates into fields.

There are also naughty road users who seem to brush us with their wing mirrors or send text messages while they drive.

I quite like it - and when I don't, I quite like having something to moan about. Although I never do that....

And I certainly wouldn't take the time to respond to a forum thread appearing to bemoan the dropping of hedge-trimmings on the highway.
  • Debeli wrote:
    redvision wrote:

This happens. It has happened for as long as I can remember and is not really an issue.

There are also seasons when tractors and trailers leave muddy tyre tracks on the tarmac near gates into fields.

There are also naughty road users who seem to brush us with their wing mirrors or send text messages while they drive.

I quite like it - and when I don't, I quite like having something to moan about. Although I never do that....

And I certainly wouldn't take the time to respond to a forum thread appearing to bemoan the dropping of hedge-trimmings on the highway.

But what if your crank fell off, would that be worth a forum thread? :? :? :?

Hedge cutters are actually required to remove the debris from the Highway - but never do
  • redvision
    Debeli wrote:
    redvision wrote:

I wonder if you would have the same opinion after you suffer a puncture (possibly at speed) as a result of hedge cuttings being left on the road??

Hedges have to be cut I agree, but those responsible for cutting them are paid to clear up after & remove cuttings from the road! Although, at least in mid Wales, the contractors choose to ignore this.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get some Marathon Plus tyres and you'll be as right as rain.

Even when they don;t cut hedges - there are thorns around. Even when they clean up after - theres still a bit of debris.

Its not usually a problem as the rain washes them into the gutter after a few days or so....
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    redvision wrote:
    I wonder if you would have the same opinion after you suffer a puncture (possibly at speed) as a result of hedge cuttings being left on the road??

Hedges have to be cut I agree, but those responsible for cutting them are paid to clear up after & remove cuttings from the road! Although, at least in mid Wales, the contractors choose to ignore this.

Some years ago, I was thus incommoded twice in a fortnight.

Neither time was I riding at speed (think that both ties the air sort of sizzled out until even I could detect the vagueness and squishiness.

However, on the second occasion I was commuting on a spring evening in the Marches, ten miles from home on an unlit and rainswept A-road and spent the MOST MISERABLE 30 minutes or so in the dark with shivering digits and too little light and an outer that seemed full of sharp things and gravel that hadn't been there before.... just wanting to be somewhere else, doing something else and with extremities that weren't being slowly deprived of any feeling.

It was galling at the time, but neither mud-spreading tractors nor tractor-mounted top-cutters can really adequately clear up after themselves. They have never been able to and I imagine they never will.

It is a part of our challenging and nonetheless amusing highway system.

And on the matter of a detached crank... that is not the sort of thing that would ever happen to me. Ever!
  • S'what tubeless and sealant were invented for :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • They're not allowed to cut hedges after the end of Feb - so we're safe now (well give it a couple of weeks).
  • redvision
    Barbarossa wrote:
    They're not allowed to cut hedges after the end of Feb - so we're safe now (well give it a couple of weeks).

Its not cutting them that's the issue, it's never clearing the mess up. That's against the law and is hazardous to road users.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can report it to the council and they'll inspect. It'll probably take a few days though but if they've made no attempt at clearing the road the debris will still be there.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Debeli wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Some years ago, I was thus incommoded twice in a fortnight.

Neither time was I riding at speed (think that both ties the air sort of sizzled out until even I could detect the vagueness and squishiness.

However, on the second occasion I was commuting on a spring evening in the Marches, ten miles from home on an unlit and rainswept A-road and spent the MOST MISERABLE 30 minutes or so in the dark with shivering digits and too little light and an outer that seemed full of sharp things and gravel that hadn't been there before.... just wanting to be somewhere else, doing something else and with extremities that weren't being slowly deprived of any feeling.

It was galling at the time, but neither mud-spreading tractors nor tractor-mounted top-cutters can really adequately clear up after themselves. They have never been able to and I imagine they never will.

It is a part of our challenging and nonetheless amusing highway system.

And on the matter of a detached crank... that is not the sort of thing that would ever happen to me. Ever!

Well I've had a few tyres go squishy on me, but I've never had one go all vague - and I'm not sure I'd know if it had!

Went past one of the top-cutters on Monday, it was like weaving around an obstacle course dodging the shards of hacked-up shrubbery. Luckily it was uphill so didn't have much speed up. Ahh...country life...