Patching tubes...

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

A very quick question... when putting a patch on an innertube, what state should the tube be in? Completely devoid of air and therefore, flat? Or pumped up (as well as you can a tube with a hole in it...) so that the tube is round, and possibly slightly stretched closer to how it'll be when inflated in the tyre, when the patch goes on?

Have only ever used 'self adhesive' patches in the past, with varying degrees of success, so tend to use them only as a 'get me home' - but I've been convinced to try 'proper' patches so figured I better make sure I'm doing it right..

Cheers
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Flat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've done as what cooldad says apply to a flat tube but I have been told these stick on patches that you should inflate the tube a little before putting on as they are less flexible than the old rubber patches.

what does everyone else think?

Bound to be someone post your still using inner tubes its 2016 lol
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    CD right (would I dare disagree?), flat tube for patch repair
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nasha48 wrote:
    CD right (would I dare disagree?), flat tube for patch repair

yeah same here but would just like to know peoples thoughts on this.

I prefer to use the old fashioned rubber and glue stuff as these press on patches don't seem to stretch as well as rubber patches obviously and everyone has there own way of doing stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Flat for glue on, meaningless for self adhesive patches as the cure time is such that it will creep on the unset glue without a problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Schoie81
    Thanks everyone - my first time (as an adult at least...) using the rubber patches and glue... just done the tube, patch applied with tube flat as per cooldad's advice. Will find out tonight if I've done it right or not!!
  • Flat, i use the skab self adhesive slime patches, once patch is on inflate the tube inside the tyre on the rim higher pressure than normal over night, say 50psi and the pressure of tube against the tyre will press it firmly in place, not had one fail on me yet.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Thanks everyone - my first time (as an adult at least...) using the rubber patches and glue... just done the tube, patch applied with tube flat as per cooldad's advice. Will find out tonight if I've done it right or not!!
    Just bear in mind it's not glue as such, more of a contact adhesive. Let it dry for a minute of so before putting the patch on, or it won't work.
    And roughen the tube around the hole a bit first with emery paper or the little tin thing some kits come with.
    Then shave some french chalk over the patch to stop it sticking to the tyre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Schoie81
    Thanks cooldad - have done all the things you said - instructions that came with the patches were pretty good, and watched some YouTube vids - just wasn't sure about having air in the tube or not.. Fingers crossed now! :-D