Time for new shoes

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm on the look out for a new pair of shoes.
I have a budget of about £130 this is my list so far.
Has any one here have any of these or anything to add to the list.
Sidi Level
Mavic zxellium 2014
Mavic ksyrium pro II
Fizik r5b

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Not got any but I'm in a similar position with a similar budget to what you have. I can't take my eyes off the Fizik R5Bs, I think they're the one of the best looking pair of modern road shoes I've seen.
  • I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5 fit which are really comfortable. I have wide feet and went for their wide (mega) style as most other cycling shoes are too narrow for me. They're £100 on their website at the moment (http://www.bikechaincafe.com/) which is worth checking as they don't show up on google shopping, but are often cheaper than other retailers.

If I was buying purely based on looks I'd probably go for the Fiziks, but with wide feet my choice is pretty limited.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Giro Factor
    Rapha Climber

Does my bias for velcro show?
  • DMT R1's are quite nice
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Thanks for the replies so for guys :D
    Prhymeate thanks for the link very helpful I am starting to go towards the sidis.

The wire retention systems how good/ reliable are they? Anyone had them fail?
  • I'm buying the mtb version of these next week. (the extrema 2). If that goes well going to get the road version. Bit different.

http://www.cronoteam.it/en/products/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Thanks for the replies so for guys :D
    Prhymeate thanks for the link very helpful I am starting to go towards the sidis.

The wire retention systems how good/ reliable are they? Anyone had them fail?

Wire retention has been good for me.

Have a pair of specialized shoes at the mo but am looking for a new pair as the toe of the shoe just feels like a box and has never felt great. Tried Fizik but their fit isn't any good for me, so I tried Sidi's and they felt good but I'm waiting for the colour I want to come into the shop. So I guess what I'm saying is the shape of the shoes don't work for everyone, so best you try a few to see what feels best.
  • Specialized for me, no matter what budget you are working with...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • I have a pair of the White/Silver Fizik R5B and cannot recommend them enough, they look really good, don't get too hot on hot days and are relatively easy to keep clean. I've put some specialized insoles in mine as I have quite flat feet so helps with comfort on long rides. In the 9 months I've had them, I did have an issue with one of the Boa dials, but a quick email to Fizik resulted in a Boa service kit being sent from Italy within 2/3 days and it being quite an easy fix.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Can't speak about the others, but standard Mavics are narrow - however they do some models in a 'wide' fit
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • I sent back the lightweight Mavic xyelium as the straps looked too flimsy . I have had suplest shoes from start cycles which have been fantastic. They just look odd, but are well made and different if that suits you.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Be careful with Fizik as the fit isn't for everyone, the toe box is very narrow which is exactly the opposite of Speciailized which has a deliberately wide toe box even on their standard width shoes.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Shimano R171
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Purchased a pair of Fizik R5b's and very happy with them. Fit is better for me than previous shoes I've had from Sidi, Shimano and Mavic. First pair of shoes I've had with a Boa dial too which I'm very impressed with.

Sole isn't the stiffest compared to full carbon soles, but then I wanted a little bit of flex. I'm not racing any more and full carbon soles where aggravating shin splints I picked up when training for a half marathon last year.
  • I've just ordered Sidi Genius 5 from www.bikechaincafe for £99. I have used a pair of Fizik R5B shoes for almost a year now and whilst they are really comfortable I have had a couple of issues. The heel caps on both shoes fell off after about 2 months (not due to walking in them!) and I have also had to fix the BOA dial a couple of times. 2 other guys in my club have had exactly the same issues, we all got them from our LBS. It may well have been a quality control issue but i think it's worth pointing out.
  • styxd
    Fizik build quality is poor IME. Sidis are well put together and very comfy, but the carbon soled models are expensive. Shimano R171 are best bang for buck by a long way.
  • styxd wrote:
    Fizik build quality is poor IME. Sidis are well put together and very comfy, but the carbon soled models are expensive. Shimano R171 are best bang for buck by a long way.

They are. Especially when you pay about £65 for them.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • styxd
    Yup, exactly. Can often be found discounted aswell. I think I paid about £70something for the R170s a year or so ago. Got rid pretty sharpish as they didn't fit my feet. But definitely decent shoes.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Where are you guys seeing them that cheap? £95 is about the cheapest I can see them.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    styxd wrote:

They are. Especially when you pay about £65 for them.
    Yes very pleased with my pair of R171 shoes, and managed to get them through the Cycle to Work scheme too. Although that's still not as cheap as Bender.