Ribble password

Maurice Thepity
Maurice Thepity Posts: 75
edited March 2016 in Road general
I've just had an email from Ribble Cycles saying they’ve got a new website, asking me to reset my password and offering a 5% discount code for my trouble.
It looks more than a bit dodgy and the official Ribble website crashed 5 minutes later.

Comments

• I was going to post on this as well.
    My concern when received the email was that it's a scam.
    Surely no reputable business would email there customers a link and ask them to reset their password?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I was going to post on this as well.
    My concern when received the email was that it's a scam.
    Surely no reputable business would email there customers a link and ask them to reset their password?

My thinking exactly, even if they do have a new website.
    Wonder if they been hacked?

I tried ringing but can't get through.

Edit, can't seem to log in with my normal password. Maybe the email is genuine :?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Got the email as well was rather suspicious
  • I received the same email. Not sure if it's a scam, but I'm not going to do it until I definitely need to (haven't ordered from Ribble for some time), just to be on the safe side.
    If it is a scam, then it's pretty serious if all Ribble's database of customers details have been hacked, but having just been to the new Ribble website, I could not log-in with my current password, so I think it's probably genuine.
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    The 5% discount code (IRESET5) isn't valid...
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Got this as well and binned it. Hovering over the link didn't show the Ribble website (cpro30.com?) although that's no guarantee it doesn't end up at Ribble.

Website does look new but haven't been there for a while after I had hassle with them on a saddle I order a couple of years back.
  • RibbleRider85
    RibbleRider85 Posts: 9
    edited February 2016
    Hello, please see a reply from our WebTeam below. Obviously if you have any queries, please contact the Sales Office directly on sales@ribblecycles.co.uk

Hi everyone,

Just want to say sorry for the confusion caused by the reset password email.

Firstly, it is genuine, new site teething issues.
    Secondly, if you want a direct link…
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/customer ... tpassword/

And finally, the promo code is now working. If not then let me know.

Thanks for you patience and bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards,

Matthew, from Team Ribble.

Matthew Lawson
    CDO
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Could you not mention it on the site and have a link or banner to reset it from there?

Emails with links asking to rest passwords are a terrible idea!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I got the email as well and was sus on it. So I logged onto their site (ater a time) and renewed the password there.
  • DenzilD
    DenzilD Posts: 392
    Reset, tried to buy, voucher code not working for me............
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Could you not mention it on the site and have a link or banner to reset it from there?

Emails with links asking to rest passwords are a terrible idea!

Yep, has put me off buying from Ribble!

Evans price match Ribble 8)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I can't understand why they didn't mention it in one of the numerous newsletters they send. Or prompt you to change it when you next log in.

In today's world an email requesting a password change is always going to arouse suspicion.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Carbonator wrote:
    Evans price match Ribble
    Except Evans just did the same thing: revamped their website and broke my password.

Incompetence and customer-disdain are everywhere.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2016
    Carbonator wrote:
    Evans price match Ribble
    Except Evans just did the same thing: revamped their website and broke my password.

Incompetence and customer-disdain are everywhere.

Did they email you a link to change it though?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I just tried to log on to Evans and they do want a new password but they didn't send an e-mail.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Carbonator wrote:
    They sure did! On 23 February. Complete with a “forgot password” link (nope, I didn’t forget it) with a URL starting in “email.evanscycles…” that looked pretty dodgy to me (but wasn’t).

Ribble, on the other hand, did not send me an email. Instead I just got an “invalid login or password” error (nope again) with no further explanation when I tried to log in.

Since the opposite happened to antfly above, I have a feeling these companies are a total shambles behind their pretty new websites.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Carbonator wrote:
    They sure did! On 23 February. Complete with a “forgot password” link (nope, I didn’t forget it) with a URL starting in “email.evanscycles…” that looked pretty dodgy to me (but wasn’t).

Ribble, on the other hand, did not send me an email. Instead I just got an “invalid login or password” error (nope again) with no further explanation when I tried to log in.

Since the opposite happened to antfly above, I have a feeling these companies are a total shambles behind their pretty new websites.

And the Evans online pricematch seems to have been dead for quite a while.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Apparently the website dos not function when sing an Apple Mac computer.
    "Please advise if you are using an Apple device?
    The code will not work with Apple device’s as yet our new website is not fully functioning on these devices"