Help with Garmin 810

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited February 2016 in Road general
Evening all,

I'm trying to set up a mates Garmin 810 so we can follow a course on it tomorrow however I'm having a bit of trouble. I've finally got the course on the Garmin however I can't find out how to get on the navigation settings I keep seeing mentioned on online guides I have been reading. I was following this guide:

http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-nav ... /edge-800/

However there is no "Map" or "Routing" section in the "System" settings. I know that's an 800 not an 810 but will it not be the same?

Also, as the course doesn't start where we live, the unit tries to navigate me to the start of the course if I start it now. I'm assuming if we're near the start it will just start the course?

I offered to set it up for him as I'm a bit more computer literate than he is, but I'm struggling!

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've got an 800 and I've just set up an 810 for my daughter. Unfortunately I can't advise you on the mapping (she doesn't use it) but they have many interface differences so you need to search the internet for the specific 810 manual or instructions on how to set up the mapping for the 810.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    hypster wrote:
    I've got an 800 and I've just set up an 810 for my daughter. Unfortunately I can't advise you on the mapping (she doesn't use it) but they have many interface differences so you need to search the internet for the specific 810 manual or instructions on how to set up the mapping for the 810.

Worked out where the settings are but what are all the different screens once you are following a course???
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    The different screens display whatever info you want it to. They are customisable and allow you to see things like speed, distance to destination, elevation, gradient, etc etc. You can customise them by going to Settings - Activity Profiles (Train, Race etc) - Training Pages - and selecting which info you want on which page, and how many pieces of info you want per page. I have 3 bits of info per page because my eyesight is rubbish, and display stuff like speed, grade, heart rate, distance, distance ahead, total ascent, average speed, etc.
  • I tried that follow the course feature with success.

first, I put the related openstreetmaps data onto the 810 external memory card.

then, I also put the GPX file created from Strava route builder to the 810 external memory card (put in NewFiles folder, refer to Strava route builder web page for the exact instruction).

finally, you will select the course to ride on the ride day. you will be presented with the route you've put in the ext. mem. card.

Once you confirmed the route, you will be asked if you want to navigate to the starting point from your current location, but it's not important. Yes or no, it shall start the course when you arrive at the route.

Good luck.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • Take a look at rude with GPS. Com. It has a section with step by step at up for turn by then navigation. I had same problem with my 1000. The user instructions are useless.