Triple to Double chainrings

garyplumb
garyplumb Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
This may be a stupid question but I want to change my crankset set up from triple to double?, in order to fit a bash ring, can I just remove the outer ring and fit the bash guard, then do I then just have to adjust the front derallier? I wouldn't need to adjust the length of chain would I????

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Remove outer ring, replace with bash guard, adjust limit screw to prevent shifting past middle ring.

Your chain will be too long, as it is sized for the largest chain ring. You could leave it if you want but it's best to have it sized appropriately. You'll also probably be running a long cage mech where you only need mid cage. Far from essential to replace that though
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In terms of fitting a bash, the plastic ones are much thicker and need longer chainring bolts, you ideally want an aluminium one which has a mounting section the same thickness as a chainring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Oh, and size the bash guard based on the middle chain ring that is fitted. So if you are thinking of going slightly larger in the future bear that in mind.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500