shimano ultegra or Dura-ace

tanipan
tanipan Posts: 261
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi
Can anyone tell me are Dura-ace 9000 sti levers better than ultegra 6800 sti levers as there is nearly
£100 more for the Dura-ace.
Cheers.
m parsons

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Personal viewpoint - Dura Ace looks nicer; possibly better engineered; a bit lighter; zero difference in functionality. If all you are after are high quality shifters/ brakes Ultegra is very hard to beat on the scale of diminishing returns on investment.

Peter
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just lighter weight.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Titanium bar clamps if I remember rightly.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If it's a no expense spared bike then go DA. Otherwise go ultegra and you won't notice.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Fenix wrote:
    If it's a no expense spared bike then go DA. Otherwise go ultegra and you won't notice.

Spot on!
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited February 2016
    tanipan wrote:
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me are Dura-ace 9000 sti levers better than ultegra 6800 sti levers as there is nearly
    £100 more for the Dura-ace.
    Cheers.
    If you want the best buy the best, if you are happy to spend the rest of your days wishing you had bought Dura-Ace buy Ultegra.

Shop around I got my DA 9001's for £214 from PBK.
    Currently £240 for DA
    £154 for Ultegra.
  • I've got a mixed mechanical group set Ultegra 6800 sti's but front/rear mechs are Dura Ace 9000 - happy enough with the levers and the mechs - especially the front shift - its superb. However, I've 105 5800 on the winter bike and its as good .......but heavier.
    Budget/deep pockets that's all....................... :D
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    For mechanical group sets, Ultegra seems like the odd one out in some respects. Get 105 if you want a reliable good value groupset. If you've got the money, want something a bit lighter and looks a bit nicer, get Dura Ace.

I'd probably spend on other things - wheels, power meter; before considering something other than 105 for a group set.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The carbon levers on the Ultegra shifters are nicer feel than the 105 metal ones.
  • The carbon levers on the Ultegra shifters are nicer feel than the 105 metal ones.

yeah - agree this.