Modern UK Politics

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited February 2016 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone else think the bar and calibre of individual is at a new time low?

Guido Fawkes, now there was a chap I'd have voted for.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    For the prosecution I give you: Michael Gove.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Not really. Throughout our history, political greats have been thinly spread. Today is no different to any other era really.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The last post is quite true.

The problem with politics is the people who would do a good job would not get voted in. The current crop though is particularly weak which is why satire has died. Even the comedians dont find it funny anymore.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    The people who really care and want to do a good honest job are people like Jeremy Corbyn, whether or not you agree with his politics. They then get pilloried by the press, even those who are supposed to support him! We get the government we deserve - Pig Fucker Cameron.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Not really. Throughout our history, political greats have been thinly spread. Today is no different to any other era really.
    I'd agree with that with one exception, they are now zero. There a usually a couple that are worth a listen.
    I can't think of a single M.P. that I could respect even if I disagreed with them, far less one I'd trust.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157
    jawooga wrote:
    The people who really care and want to do a good honest job are people like Jeremy Corbyn, whether or not you agree with his politics. They then get pilloried by the press, even those who are supposed to support him! We get the government we deserve - Pig ****** Cameron.
    Corbyn keeps us amused. I hope he sticks around for another few years so he can complete his good honest job of making Labour unelectable :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    jawooga wrote:
    The people who really care and want to do a good honest job are people like Jeremy Corbyn, whether or not you agree with his politics. They then get pilloried by the press, even those who are supposed to support him! We get the government we deserve - Pig ****** Cameron.
    Corbyn keeps us amused. I hope he sticks around for another few years so he can complete his good honest job of making Labour unelectable :wink:

Corbyns currently going under the radar for obvious reasons and arguably his currency is at its lowest point. However with the Tories tearing themselves apart I'd suggest you have a vacuum and a increasingly negative view of the Tories.

Just as Trump resonates with the American electorate and let's forget the message for now, but he has connected I'd say the honest decency of Corbyn will be a bright light to the electorate and in stark difference to the self serving Tory MPs.

to clarify I don't agree with Corbyn but he comes across as principled and as a public servant
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    jawooga wrote:

Corbyns currently going under the radar for obvious reasons and arguably his currency is at its lowest point. However with the Tories tearing themselves apart I'd suggest you have a vacuum and a increasingly negative view of the Tories.

Just as Trump resonates with the American electorate and let's forget the message for now, but he has connected I'd say the honest decency of Corbyn will be a bright light to the electorate and in stark difference to the self serving Tory MPs.

to clarify I don't agree with Corbyn but he comes across as principled and as a public servant

How can you be a public servant if your desire is to fcuk the country?
  • Stevo_666
    I think he's learning that the best way to stop the Labour vote from collapsing is to keep his mouth shut.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    My fear is that the Tories take the election for granted and Labour elect a new leader who is instantly popular for no other reason that he is not Corbyn
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    My fear is that the Tories take the election for granted and Labour elect a new leader who is instantly popular for no other reason that he is not Corbyn
    Might be good fun if I get to vote again on who leads Labour. Its very easy, I will just pick the biggest Trotskyite tw@t on the ballot paper - again :D
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Might be good fun if I get to vote again on who leads Labour. Its very easy, I will just pick the biggest Trotskyite tw@t on the ballot paper - again :D

May invest a few quid myself. After all, it;s only the price of a pint.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Best 3 quid I ever spent in terms of sheer entertainment value. I also like to think I have done my bit for Britain.
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Best 3 quid I ever spent in terms of sheer entertainment value. I also like to think I have done my bit for Britain.

Your focusjng on the wrong thing guys.

It's for the Tories to mess up and mess up they certainly will. They have no perception of a viable or electable threat to keep them in line.

Corbyn is a moral beacon compared to these guys and in the same way Trump has resonated ( for different reasons) with the electorate so will Corbyn.

And if this happens we have Stevo to thank :shock:

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    Moral beacon eh?
    'Tis funny, I've never thought of him that way. :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Corbyn is a moral beacon compared to these guys and in the same way Trump has resonated ( for different reasons) with the electorate so will Corbyn.

In the end he's a politician so any perception of him being a moral beacon is down to a mixture of clever PR and the fact that he is not prepared to compromise in order to become electable.

Anyway, who's to say that this isn't a stunt by me to increase the demand for my services - just think how much taxes will go up if he ever did get into power :mrgreen:
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

In the end he's a politician so any perception of him being a moral beacon is down to a mixture of clever PR and the fact that he is not prepared to compromise in order to become electable.

Anyway, who's to say that this isn't a stunt by me to increase the demand for my services - just think how much taxes will go up if he ever did get into power :mrgreen:

Like Trump there's an authenticity about him which will cut through to the electorate, the question is how much and will the tories infighting make Corbyn look electable? Will the Trump effect and eventual outcome impact on style of politician Corbyn portrays....

Is this all drivel or will Dave royal shaft the electorate in readiness for providing Boris sloppy seconds...

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    If there is an authenticity it hasn't been reflected in recent polls of support for the parties. It might help if he had policies that weren't a joke or a rehash of the 70's.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Corbyn...Corbyn.

And...thank :shock:
    ...he is not prepared to compromise in order to become electable.

Surely that is commendable?

I'll ask this:

How many politicians play politics instead of governing?
    How much of politics is/has been influenced and distorted by the press in a way that has been very detrimental?
    How many people are being sold the anti-Corbyn line through the above ^?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Corbyn...Corbyn.

And...thank :shock:
    ...he is not prepared to compromise in order to become electable.

Surely that is commendable?

I'll ask this:

How many politicians play politics instead of governing?
    How much of politics is/has been influenced and distorted by the press in a way that has been very detrimental?
    How many people are being sold the anti-Corbyn line through the above ^?
    In the end politics is about compromise in many ways. The tories reaslise this and this is part of why they are in power. There's no point being idealistic if you never get to put it into practice.

But as this is the BB, I'll say it's very commendable because it will mean the leftie fecker will never get elected :wink:
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    There is a fundamental problem - if the pay looks good then it attracts low achievers or career politicians with no experience of business and commerce, or the opposite happens, candidates have to be personally wealthy and that means they lack connection with most of the rest of us.
  • Stevo_666
    florerider wrote:
    There is a fundamental problem - if the pay looks good then it attracts low achievers or career politicians with no experience of business and commerce, or the opposite happens, candidates have to be personally wealthy and that means they lack connection with most of the rest of us.
    Good pay normally attracts high achievers as well - then there''s a choice of low and high achievers.
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    Good pay normally attracts high achievers as well - then there''s a choice of low and high achievers.

That's too narrow in the context of calibre of individual who is attracted to political office.

The Spotlight of the media is intense and dissuades many able and capable individuals for considering political office as does the salary. I don't see the salary of an MP being particularly high as opposed to what a capable person can achieve in business.

It Is more about perception and do they look good. I'm not a labour supporter but Brown seemed able and capable and much of the derision was personal to his appearance and image. WTF?

Which is why we have the majority of parliament made up of middle managers ( at best and probably lower to middle in performance when measured against their peers) who are self serving and are happy to be wooed by "think tanks" or lobbyists.

Not only is the standard of individual low but so is their life experience with too many career politicians who have never done a days graft in their lives.

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    florerider wrote:

That's too narrow in the context of calibre of individual who is attracted to political office.
    That's why I said 'normally' :wink:
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    florerider wrote:

Accountants eh! Economical with words as well as cash and would never constitute good politician material when 50 words could be applied when one would do.

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    That's all I needed to say :)

I'm sure a small businessman like yourself appreciates that offering good money attracts good candidates for jobs. Same for me when I'm fishing for minions...
  • They're weeded through by the ranks of the party long before you ever get a vote for them. The options are restricted to start with.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote: