Noise =/

rcolliee
rcolliee Posts: 17
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have this clicking noise like the chain is rubbing on something and it only appears in middle gears when everything is under a lot of tension like when I am peddling hard. I can not pin point where it is coming from, the chain is not rubbing on the derailleur, the cassette has a small amount of play in it but everything is done up tight. The crank and pedals are tight. The bike is only 6 months old so I doubt it is bearings. I dont know what else it can be. It shifts through the geats beautifully. Any ideas?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you got an Orange?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Seated or standing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have a Kona and both seated and standing.
  • Had a similar problem before, I would double check stem, crank and pedals. Or remove them all and put a bit of grease on the bolts and see if you still have the clicking sound. That way you can narrow it down. For me it was a crank bolt, seemed tight but under load the sound would appear. Bit of grease and correct tension sorted it out. Maybe worth looking at the BB depending on the type.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Have you got an Orange?

That remark is obscene! :evil:
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cassette should have no play at all, maybe it's the freehub bearings, that would cause both issues!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Seems like a lot of people report a tiny bit of play in the freehub body even on brand new bikes which will seem like play in the cassette if you try to move it by hand, but that wouldn't cause any noise though. If it was due to an issue with the bearings as said above then yeah it would.
  • The Rookie
    Depends on the hub really, but yes, I was just looking for a common cause if you assume it's a hub design that won't display any play normally. Mavis silly bushes for example are prone to play as you don't want to fork out every time the bush wears a little bit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rcolliee wrote:
    I have a Kona and both seated and standing.
    A Knoa what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    FishFish wrote:
    Have you got an Orange?

That remark is obscene! :evil:

If the answer to my question was yes then the source of the noise is obvious.
    Even a new one sounds like a filing cabinet being thrown down the trail.
    I was at a DH race today and you could hear Orange bikes before you could see them.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Cassette should have no play at all, maybe it's the freehub bearings, that would cause both issues!

I removed the cassette and noticed that is was in fact the free hub that has a tiny bit of play in it. Could this be the cause of the noise? If so, what what do you suggest I do?
  • What do you class as a tiny bit of play?

I would be shocked, but I doubt this is the origin of the sound.

Six months old, parts are reliable.

Did you check the bolts on the parts I suggested?
  • As I said before it seems very common if have a tiny bit of play in the freehub. Like if you grip it on each side and try to pull it side to side you will feel a very slight amount of movement. If it's only about 1mm or less of movement don't worry about it, it surely won't be that causing the noise you're experiencing.
  • rcolliee
    rcolliee Posts: 17
    When I removed the cassette to investigate what was causing the play I discovered that everything had been assembled dry so my next task is to remove everything, clean it and replace with copper grease at the correct tension. Hopefully this will solve the problem although to me the noise sounds chain related?
  • The Rookie
    Not copper grease in bearings!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And cassettes don't need lube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:

I have on occasions used a very tiny amount on the cassette lock ring threads only.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There shouldn't be any copper grease anywhere in the freehub. A reasonable quality bearing grease around the pawls and bearings and shaft but not too much.
    Strip and clean the cassette, could be grit between the rings.
  • The Rookie
    swod1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I have on occasions used a very tiny amount on the cassette lock ring threads only.
    Bad idea, the torque quoted is for assembly dry, if you lube it you will over stress it if you use the torque quoted and have no idea of the right torque.....
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bad idea, the torque quoted is for assembly dry, if you lube it you will over stress it if you use the torque quoted and have no idea of the right torque.....

Oh good recently replaced the cassette on my bike and I didn't bother this time, 40nm is tight though never used a torque wrench on this and never had an issue with anything coming loose.

blaming the guy in my local evans cycles for my bad habits lol.