Rockshox monarch debonair

Chris71127
Chris71127 Posts: 71
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if there's is a an issue with my rear shock. I'm new to having a full sus so this might just be me being naive...

The rockshox rear has a blue lever with free settings as far as I can workout out they are full travel, pedal and lockout.

My issue is that I can't tell any real difference between any of the modes. It's either extremely slight or for whatever reason not working.

The red compression dial clearly woks as it should and it holds its sag in the correct place etc.

I've only just bought the bike (whyte t130) and it's great but this is niggling me.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The red compression dial clearly woks as it should and it holds its sag in the correct place etc.
    :?
    Red dial is rebound, and generally should be set as fast as possible. Set it too slow and suspension will pack down (shock gets shorter after each successive hit).

Back it off until it feels like your going to get bucked off, at which point wind it back on a click or two.

Should be a marked difference between open and lockout, but might not be obvious if your just doing a static bounce test.

If you haven't, try setting rebound up as above and retest.
  • Sorry I meant rebound lol. Have tried various settings with the sag running at 25%.
    Using the blue lever doesn't seem to have any real effect.

Be really interested to hear from someone that has the same model to see what they think of the difference of the three settings
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try pedalling up a hill out of the saddle in each setting.
    Just bouncing out it won't really let you feel the differences.
  • Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the advice
  • Gave it a try and it does appear to make a slight difference. Can't tell any difference with the middle setting.
    I certainly wouldn't consider the difference to be a 'lock out' the only way to achieve this is to crank the rebound speed all the way down.

Is this just what these rear shocks are like or could there be a problem?
    The sag is set at 25% just for FYI

Thanks
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It's not a lock out, it just firms up the suspension.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    You should have a diagram of the 3 different lever positions, pedal, lock and open. With your sag set correctly say 30% you should notice a difference between the 3 settings. lock being firm, pedal ideal for most and fully open for the knarly stuff!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Ok cheers maybe I'm just expecting too dramatic a difference.

Thanks for the replies
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If the rebound is to slow definently you will not realise any difference between the compression settings because the shock will not rebound to take the hits, being constantly packed down, how many clicks from full rebound, ie all the way to the turtle icon are you running?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    And there is a dramatic change from pedal to open setting, what tune is the shock?

If you carefully check the shocks canister you will se a bleu and red box with initials marked in, M/M, M/L etc
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut