Core Blimey

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited February 2016 in Road general
Okay, yes, another Rapha thread.

So now we have yet another collection - Core (or 'Rapha for the Proles'). So whaddya reckon? Fill the wardbrobe with every colour, or....meh?

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/rapha-core

Personally I'm a bit of a sucker/poseur for Rapha style, and I quite like the simple look. Not sure how innovative it is, but that seems to be the point - everyday kit with a Rapha slant. Quite like the bibs as well. Might still have to wait for the sales though!

Comments

• *is not thin enough*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Just ensuring the brand has as price point offering across the targeted segment.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Personally I'm a bit of a sucker/poseur for Rapha style, and I quite like the simple look.

I don't. I think jersey designs need variations as well as 'innovation'. This just looks like every other rapha jersey to me.
  • Slowmart wrote:
    Just ensuring the brand has as price point offering across the targeted segment.

The correct answer. However this thread will now descend into a slanging match. Here comes the Torm..
  • Must admit to being tempted by the bib shorts @ £100, rather than the classics @ £160.
    Like the understated styling tbf.

Let's face it, these guys are no mugs .... It'll sell very well me thinks.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I think it looks ok , I cold do with a cheaper pair of shorts ad a jersey for the Turbo or chain gangs. I ll see if I can have a feel of it this weekend...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I really like it, I've been looking for a nice light blue jersey and this just about falls into my price range now. I ordered a couple of things in the recent sale but found the fit a bit odd and sent them back. Hopefully this jersey works for me.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    I really like it, I've been looking for a nice light blue jersey and this just about falls into my price range now. I ordered a couple of things in the recent sale but found the fit a bit odd and sent them back. Hopefully this jersey works for me.

It didn't. For tall slim people looking for a a more race fit jersey it doesn't really work. It's a shame because in the photos the Rapha jerseys all look like they fit perfectly...must be a lot of bulldog clips keeping everything tight from behind.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I really like it, I've been looking for a nice light blue jersey and this just about falls into my price range now. I ordered a couple of things in the recent sale but found the fit a bit odd and sent them back. Hopefully this jersey works for me.

It didn't. For tall slim people looking for a a more race fit jersey it doesn't really work. It's a shame because in the photos the Rapha jerseys all look like they fit perfectly...must be a lot of bulldog clips keeping everything tight from behind.
    One fit won't necessarily fit everyone, maybe you're just unlucky?

Pro team sale jerseys fit me perfectly ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I dunno I guess it's smart to appeal to a wider audience but does that mean they're cutting corner on quality or material?

Or taking a hit on mark up?

I do need two new pairs of shorts and was already planning on replacing with Rapha so I'll give the core a go along with a pair of super light for the summer.

I have the classics and whilst I like the material I think they are a bit long in the leg and large is too big, I'm going on Castelli sizing so perhaps I should have gone medium.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • One fit won't necessarily fit everyone, maybe you're just unlucky?

Yea, I think the pro jerseys might fit better, although they're usually a bit out of my price range and I'm not so keen on the length of the sleeves on the 2016 ones that are yet to be released. Maybe I'll keep an eye on ebay.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

One fit won't necessarily fit everyone, maybe you're just unlucky?

the fit of their CX gear was fairly wackily over sized this year compared to their norm, normally when you find a fit that works with one brand you dont have to re-evalute their sizing so much as I did this time & I suspect next time I order from Rapha Ill be getting two sizes just to be sure its back on track.

as for this core stuff, well Id be tempted by the navy jersey but then there are other navy jerseys out there in that price range Id like more, and no bib shorts for the women, there are definitely better shorts around for the price.

so personally in terms of Rapha spend, Id rather save my money up to buy from their non-core ranges, instead of trying to overfill my wardrobe, if the jersey popped up in one of their sales Id get it, but Im not desperate to get that stuff.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Between Santini for bib shorts and Castelli for much else (personal choice, I know), I do not know quite what the appeal of Rapha or Assos is apart from the repair/replace benefits. Can someone explain? Not trolling BTW.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Pinno wrote:
    Between Santini for bib shorts and Castelli for much else (personal choice, I know), I do not know quite what the appeal of Rapha or Assos is apart from the repair/replace benefits. Can someone explain? Not trolling BTW.

You answered your own question.

Personal choice.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    Slowmart wrote:

The correct answer. However this thread will now descend into a slanging match. Here comes the Torm..
    I'll take this one if you like!

All manufacturers will pay approximately the same for the materials/manufacturing if the jerseys are from the same fabric/zips/trim eg 100% polyester, merino SportWool etc (although bigger companies do get 'bulk' discounts on the size of the business). So...with that in mind the extra cost associated with some brands will, amongst other things be to pay for offices, staff, product development, the convenience of retail outfits to try stuff on, stock storage, getting the message across to customers through adverts, shows, social networks etc, supporting cycling teams for fans to align with and lastly some will add some on to create 'exclusivity' based on cost.
    My overheads are very small, through choice, which means that me and Al can afford to offer our products at a lower price than some....it doesn't make us better or worse than other manufacturers.
    I think we should celebrate the choice that's out there for people, be non judgemental on where people decide to spend their hard earned cash and most of all....acknowledge each other on the road/forest/track/beach regardless of what people are wearing/riding as we are surely all a kindred spirit in the sport/hobby that we love...and I'm sure all the other manufacturers would say this too.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Torm wrote:
    I think we should celebrate the choice that's out there for people, be non judgemental on where people decide to spend their hard earned cash and most of all....acknowledge each other on the road/forest/track/beach regardless of what people are wearing/riding as we are surely all a kindred spirit in the sport/hobby that we love...and I'm sure all the other manufacturers would say this too.

Amen to that. Well played.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.