Wheel help please!

GRicha673
GRicha673 Posts: 23
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm after a wheelset that will compliment my boardman air 9.0. They come with mavic aksium race wheels and whilst there's nothing wrong with them, I'd like a lighter set without breaking the bank! I use this bike for allsorts and being in Wales could do with a little help around the hills! :lol: thanks guys look forward to any suggestions.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to suggest anything without an idea of budget. Not 'breaking the bank' doesn't really help narrow things down, unfortunately.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Difficult to suggest anything without an idea of budget. Not 'breaking the bank' doesn't really help narrow things down, unfortunately.

Let's say around £400-£500
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    That sort of budget is prime territory for handbuilts.

For some light weight wheels perhaps some Ryde Pulse Sprint or Comp rims with whatever spokes and hubs you fancy.
  • mrb123
    For example DCR wheels do the Pulse Sprints with their own DCR hubs, CX Rays for 415 quid for a 1330g wheelset.
  • Thanks for that mate, sounds like it could be a real option, I'm not to clued up about wheels. Those brands you've mentioned are they through an online shop? Or are they readily available in other place's? Thanks
  • mrb123
    http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/70 ... yde-pulse/

The best thing if you're considering handbuilts is to email a couple of wheel builders an tell them your budget, weight, riding style etc. They will then come up with some suggestions for you.

I can highly recommend David at DCR as per the link above and also Macolm at the Cycle Clinic who is a regular poster on here.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...or if you want some bling and a great set of factory wheels with modern wide rims and decent profiles then the Mavic Ksyrium (2016) are the other obvious choice.
  • Superstar clearance wheelset for £100?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  • Ive just upgraded to Mavic Kyrisum elites, after a similar question, got them from Germany, after a recommendation, http://www.4thebike.de/12956/mavic-ksyr ... tz-schwarz

Added a pair of GP 4000 II, and the bike flew yesterday.

More recommendations here;

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13043625

and here

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13043625
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike