Coaching Recommendations

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 674
edited February 2016 in Road general
I'm lucky enough to get £200 a year from work to spend on making myself a better person. Obviously I interpret that as making me faster at riding my bike.

I'm looking at spending it on some cycling coaching this year, and was after some recommendations.

The DigDeepCoaching.com £180, 12 week bespoke plan looks like a good one, mainly because its at the top of the Google results, but if anyone has any recommendations/experiences it'd be good to hear.

I'm based in London.

Comments

• I'm not sure you'l get a huge benefit from £200 of coaching to be honest. The best coaches don't come cheap.

You'd be better off using it for a bike fit if you think that might help you.

You could probably get a 12 week plan out of a magazine for a couple of quid, you might be able to spend £200 with Dig Deep or someone else but realistically that won't get you a huge amount of help.

As with all things though, it may work for you but don't expect miracles.
  • cgfw201
    I'm not sure you'l get a huge benefit from £200 of coaching to be honest. The best coaches don't come cheap.

You'd be better off using it for a bike fit if you think that might help you.

You could probably get a 12 week plan out of a magazine for a couple of quid, you might be able to spend £200 with Dig Deep or someone else but realistically that won't get you a huge amount of help.

As with all things though, it may work for you but don't expect miracles.

Probably all true. Have had bike fit and happy with that for now.

Main thing it would be is a motivational aid, if I'm accountable to someone I'd be far less likely to skip a session which I am guilty of currently.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I'm not sure you'l get a huge benefit from £200 of coaching to be honest. The best coaches don't come cheap.

This is pretty much what I thought.
    Coaches are not cheap.

What you need to ask yourself if what you are aiming at.

If you plan to race and feel you need guidance and a training plan then a coach might be useful. But I think you would have to add money to the £200.

Might be worth contacting BC or looking here https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coachingdirectory
    for a coach close to you who might be able to offer some advice before you make a decision.

If you don't intend to race them why not spend it on some decent lights or something and start commuting to work (makes you a better person by being green)?
    That's if you don't already.
  • cgfw201
    redvision wrote:

This is pretty much what I thought.
    Coaches are not cheap.

What you need to ask yourself if what you are aiming at.

If you plan to race and feel you need guidance and a training plan then a coach might be useful. But I think you would have to add money to the £200.

Might be worth contacting BC or looking here https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coachingdirectory
    for a coach close to you who might be able to offer some advice before you make a decision.

If you don't intend to race them why not spend it on some decent lights or something and start commuting to work (makes you a better person by being green)?
    That's if you don't already.

Have commuted for 3 years, and do 7k miles a year or so at the moment, just looking for some motivation to get to the next stage, start racing etc. Also going to the Alps in August for the first time.

+ as I say, the £200 has to be for some kind of self-betterment type thing rather than equipment.
  • I have to disagree that you cant get much for £200, last year i needed a 16 week plan to help increase my ftp for a trip to the alpes, it had to be specific to my available time and based around using a wattbike 3 times a week, i went to Dan Bennett from progressive cycle coaching...he produced a plan and was available anytime to discuss issues, he updated the plan every 5 weeks after my latest ftp test and the result was a 9% increase in my ftp over the 16 week period, i dont know if that is good or bad but i was happy with the results and it only cost me around £120 odd.....so yes £200 can make you faster!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Or trainerroad is around £10 per month. Awesome if you know what you want and are self motivated
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    I'm lucky enough to get £200 a year from work to spend on making myself a better person. Obviously I interpret that as making me faster at riding my bike.

I'm looking at spending it on some cycling coaching this year, and was after some recommendations.

The DigDeepCoaching.com £180, 12 week bespoke plan looks like a good one, mainly because its at the top of the Google results, but if anyone has any recommendations/experiences it'd be good to hear.

I'm based in London.

Have a look at the British Cycling website and find a coach near you. Go and have a chat with them and discuss your needs.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I will create you a bespoke plan for £40 a month
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AK_jnr wrote:
    I will create you a bespoke plan for £40 a month

What does he do after 5 months? He only gets £200
  • AK_jnr
    Lol errrrrrm. Re use the monthly plans I gave him. Basically what most coaches do anyway pahaha.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Lol errrrrrm. Re use the monthly plans I gave him. Basically what most coaches do anyway pahaha.

Cool. So he can get a whole years training for £40 effectively :-) just repeat each month!!
  • AK_jnr
    Exactly. What a bargain! :D