Club Magic life - Jandia - Fuerteventura

scottywes
scottywes Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Road general
I'm off to club magic life in fuerteventura soon. I know that they do guided road bike ride.

1. Has anyone been there and been on such rides? What are the bikes likes / routes etc.
2. What pedals are on the bikes (is it worth taking my own)?
3. Do they allow you to take the bikes and ride solo or is it part of guided rides only?
4. Assuming the answer to (3) is No, is there anywhere local to the hotel that does bike hire?

Any other info related to the above would be great.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    scottywes wrote:
    I'm off to club magic life in fuerteventura soon. I know that they do guided road bike ride.

1. Has anyone been there and been on such rides? What are the bikes likes / routes etc.

Yes, about 4 years ago. Bikes are fine. Aluminium framed, European equivalent of Ribble/PlanetX. Tiagra gearing. Sizing was 53, 55, 57. However there is no guarantee that they will be using the same bike manufacturer. The bikes were relatively new and possibly changed every season, perhaps 2nd season.

2. What pedals are on the bikes (is it worth taking my own)?

Flats with toe cages. I took my own and fitted them. We were there in October so it was quiet which meant that was my bike for the week so I left the pedals on. Take your own.

3. Do they allow you to take the bikes and ride solo or is it part of guided rides only?

I didn't ask but the answer would have been no.

Road rides are every 2nd day IIRC with the distance and route changing each time. The programme of rides repeats weekly. Distance varied from, IIRC, about 30 miles up to 70 miles. I did two rides, the 30 and the 55 milers.

There are MTB rides on the other days - I didn't bother but I did a couple of spin classes - worth it for instructors ;-)

4. Assuming the answer to (3) is No, is there anywhere local to the hotel that does bike hire?

I didn't look for an alternative but there isn't a lot of stuff locally as it is an all inclusive resort. The nearest village was a 45 minute walk away.

Any other info related to the above would be great.

The guides are very friendly. Both were MTB semi-pros but very fit. I am sure they will have changed.

The routes were good but all started on relatively wide roads which shadowed/followed the dual carriageway for a good few miles before moving onto the smaller rural roads network. Some good climbs and descents. The road surfaces were very good.

It was very hot - typically 30-35 degrees so take a water bottle PLUS use the 2 litre bottles from the fridges scattered around the resort. The downtube cage is steel and flexes. It can take the 2 litre (might be 1.5l) bottle with a cable tie holding the neck of the bottle stable in the cage. All the bikes had the cable tie in place. You will drink all of that plus the best part of a full refill if it is as hot.

They wont stop on the way out so take some snacks but they stop on the way back for a coke and water (and food if you need it).

The big food hall is very good with a huge variety on offer.

The speciality restaurants or OK with some better than others. The Thai restaurant was particularly BAD. Thai is my favourite food and they did their best to spoil that for me. The other (3 IIRC) restaurants are worth visiting although they all have the same starters.

The beer was fine. The gin dubious and the wine OK.

I would go back tomorrow if we wanted that type of holiday.

We walked into the nearest town. Loads of touristy stuff - African markets with all the counterfeit rubbish but the town has some very shiny shops. I got pair of genuine Oakleys for a decent price but you have to hold your patience and let them drop and drop their price.
  • Echo all of the above

They had a box of different pedals so my SPD SL's were fine. I emailed the direct re the pedals and they replied quickly and put pedals to one side for me. Watch out for wind it's relentless
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Interestingly we had almost no wind which probably reflects the very warm October. I remember stopping for water and the supermarket sign showing 36 degrees. Wonderful stuff.

Don't forget decent sun cream.

I'm very jealous.
  • Bike hire 1.2 KM from where you staying http://www.volcano-bike.com/en/stations ... el-aldiana
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply above. Really appreciate that :-)
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    edited February 2016
    Been a few times (not biking everytime) between 2010 and last year and the road bikes were replaced in 2014-2015. Cant recall what brand - maybe Scott (as they have MTBs at other magic life resorts)

Roadbike tours 6 days a week and they rotate in a week programme, though each week will have similar length/ challenge rides.

They head out at 9am, with breakfast hall opening at 7, so plenty of time to get some carbs. As mentioned, they use minor roads for first 10k then drop onto the main road leading to Costa Calma and onto whatever destination. Thankfully, motorists out there give plenty of room.

MTB tours as well on same rotation 6 days a week.

They wont let you take the bikes out alone. Tours are good though. Expect Austrians and Germans in the main.

The hotel lacks the service that the other magic lifes in Egypt have, but its okay and better options than some other AI hotels. There are 3 a la carte (you can try each during your stay, just book the morning the day before - theres a canarian (average), Italian (poor) and an Argentinian steak house (quite good))

Walk into Morre Jable about 30-35 mins along beach to the Iberostar and then promenade walk/ cycle tracks all the way to Jandia resport - Morro Jable a bit further.