Mavic buying Enve

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited February 2016 in Road general
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... nve-213037

Interesting one this.
Wonder what impact this will have on the market...

Comments

• No impact at all. The 50 million evaluation gives you an idea of the penetration of Enve in a Market, which is worth roughly 30 Billion pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision
    No impact at all. The 50 million evaluation gives you an idea of the penetration of Enve in a Market, which is worth roughly 30 Billion pounds

Dam it, and there i was thinking Enve wheels may become a bit more affordable :cry:
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Bah, i was aiming to treat myself to nice Enves one day. Oh well, there's still HED and Reynolds out there.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Some interesting moves a foot in the wheel world with HED pimping themselves as well. Would love to see Canyon produce own branded wheels with HED patent to replace cosmics on there lower end builds
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Distribution might improve hopefully.
    New Enve hub and improved brake track look good.
  • No impact at all. The 50 million evaluation gives you an idea of the penetration of Enve in a Market, which is worth roughly 30 Billion pounds

"30 Billion Pounds" - where did you get that figure from? :D

"30 Billion Pounds" - where did you get that figure from? :D

That's the global size of the cycling market... not the UK one. In the grand scheme of things the UK is worth as much as a ball of snot, but it's still more relevant than Enve is in the cycling market.

The figure comes from the last Eurobike
  • Anonymous
    Of course it will have some impact.
    The only alternative to having an impact is that nothing at all will change!

Distribution is apparently already changing, and I would be surprised if that were the only thing.

50 million is a far bigger slice of 30 billion than the 3k a set of wheels cost to an individual rider, which I assume is what we are ultimately talking about here?
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Of course it will have some impact.
    The only alternative to having an impact is that nothing at all will change!

Distribution is apparently already changing, and I would be surprised if that were the only thing.

50 million is a far bigger slice of 30 billion than the 3k a set of wheels cost to an individual rider, which I assume is what we are ultimately talking about here?

The way I see companies like Enve is that they don't add anything to the existing market. They work on very very marginal improvements on existing products and designs and their biggest selling point is probably their typography... they seem to do well with the branding.
    On the other hand, Mavic have always been a very innovative company, coming out with electric and even wireless shifting 20 years before everybody else... wheels with no tension, ceramic coated rims, screw on spoke attachments... possibly the first to use sealed cartridge bearings in their hubs...
    For the good and the bad, they bring something interesting to the table... the world of cycling would not be the same without Mavic, while it would be exactly the same without Enve
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Well...I ve always viewed Enve as one of the High level R&D Innovators. Way to expensive for most people to own but what they discover is then used by larger companies to make something we can all afford. A bit like Zipp...

(Perhaps even more like Dyson)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Well...I ve always viewed Enve as one of the High level R&D Innovators. Way to expensive for most people to own but what they discover is then used by larger companies to make something we can all afford. A bit like Zipp...

Maybe we see innovation in a different light, but what exactly did Enve innovate that was so groundbreaking? A marginally different rim section that saves 1 Watt when cos(theta) = 0.866 with theta being the wind angle?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    They marketed well and have a nice logo, that is about the only difference I see.

I have a pair of Enve 6,7 tubs and I think I rode them once or twice last year, barely tell the difference between them and fulcrum 7's.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2016
    And let the Enve (you cannot argue that they aptly named their company 8) ) sl4gging begin.

Well I am still getting Enve wheels/components.
    Owning Mavic wheels too means I have both the innovation/heritage and the 'graphics'/marginal gains.

Then again, I have some (tubeless) Fulcrum 3's so maybe I should not bother :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:

Maybe we see innovation in a different light, but what exactly did Enve innovate that was so groundbreaking? A marginally different rim section that saves 1 Watt when cos(theta) = 0.866 with theta being the wind angle?

It's innovation becaue making the big breakthroughs requires people also doing the nitpicking
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    What difference does level of innovation actually mean to people anyway?

If you are looking at getting a set of wheels, who cares who invented what?

People shouting about how cheap their Ribble/PX bike is regularly/positively disrespect all the brands that allowed their bike to even exist lol.
  • redvision
    Well i guess one possibility of this merger would be that Enve may have the extra financial and technological support to push the boundaries and become more innovative. Not that they didn't have before, but one would assume that Mavics r&d department and budget would be significantly more than Enve.
  • On the other hand, Mavic have always been a very innovative company, coming out with electric and even wireless shifting 20 years before everybody else... wheels with no tension, ceramic coated rims, screw on spoke attachments... possibly the first to use sealed cartridge bearings in their hubs...

Ugo has a good point there. MY old best bike, now winter bike, [still rocks!] is getting long in the tooth. The Ceramic Open Pros are 9 winters old....

Dirty%20Bike_zpsx1n2fvt3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Put it this way, the Hope's they're laced on are on their 3rd set of bearings, & I cycle plenty of farmers roads.

If only people had cottoned on & ceramic coatings were more popular then disc brakes would be redundant.
  • Right click image for link. Not sure what happened there!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mavic didn't buy Enve, Amer Sports did. They will continue to function independently and possibly share some IP much like Salomon and Atomic (also both owned by Amer).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • redvision
    Grill wrote:
    Mavic didn't buy Enve, Amer Sports did. They will continue to function independently and possibly share some IP much like Salomon and Atomic (also both owned by Amer).

I think they will have to keep separate brands to start with as they have different markets really. Long term, as markets and the economy change, we will see though.

Good article on the merger here http://cyclingtips.com/2016/02/mavic-an ... -it-means/
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Says exactly what I did.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ugo - Mavic where certainly not the first to use Cartridge bearings in there hubs. Lambert were at it in the 70's and Harden did it in the 40's.

Mavic did come up with a electronic shifting system but suntour beat them to it by 2 years.

Mavic are not as innovative as you think.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.