Winter Wednesday

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited February 2016 in The bottom bracket
Feels like a crisp winters day, hovering over the 0 mark here.

Anyway, no training last night as I was told I had to collect my dear old mother from the airport. I then checked her emails to check the arrival time and found out it is actually tonight she lands. Glad I didn't waste a trip to the airport. gutted I'll miss another training night.

Bought the date a running watch, may get her some flowers later as I've just booked the weekend to see some friends in Paris.

Work is mental, Stevo send me a minion, my colleague is of no use, or good to look at.

Prob getting sacked for that last bit.

Ciao
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,311
    We had stunning sunshine but it has now been replaced by some very slow moving cloud. I looked at the weather map and we seem to be about the only place in the whole damn country with cloud cover. B4stards x 3.

I have chores to do then hopefully a soft pedal* before collecting the apprentice evil boss and the wannabe minion from nursery.

*Herein lies the dilemma, do I switch the phone off and just go and miss out on an essential phone call knowing that he hasn't got my mobile number? Do I call up and make some story up about how busy I am and don't call me till... ? If I call them, will it look like I am desperate for the deal but I am trying to act cool as you like I have 'other offers' on the table...?
    My head hurts. The things you have to do to shirk properly...

More coffee methinks.

I got spare minions Flan. Between 4 of them, they have a combined IQ of about 50 but despite the swivel eyed Neanderthal appearance, the dribbling and the tendency to shout 'look at the tits on that' out of the van window, they are quite good at grafting.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Pinno, define or provide a context for "essential". For whom?

Working from home, might pop out and get my hair cut. As an employee my old boss always used to moan that I used work time for getting a hair cut while I always responded that it grows in work time.

It seems I'm shaking the lurgy at last so things are looking up
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Posting from phone as my PC has thrown a hissy fit.

Cold and probably having a rest day today, early dinner and early to bed.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:

I have an offer for the baling equipment. In fact, I have 2 (without advertising and only a handful of people know we're winding the operation up) so there is some interest already through the network. One of them is due to call me this morning. Do I accept an offer or do I delay it and put the feelers out big time in the hope of a better offer?
    The uncertainty is one that I could do without but the (speculative) extra cash I could do with.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394
    Chilly ride in this morning, my feet are still defrosting. Cycled past the lady who I informed that her seat was too low, she still hasn't raised it.... bloody cow.

Speaking of cows, I'll see Pinno's cowgirl and raise him a reverse cowgirl.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Chilly ride in this morning, my feet are still defrosting. Cycled past the lady who I informed that her seat was too low, she still hasn't raised it.... bloody cow.

Speaking of cows, I'll see Pinno's cowgirl and raise him a reverse cowgirl.

I will match your reverse cowgirl with the horizontal cowgirl (spoons to everyone else). As you can do it lying down, that would obviously suit Flan.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:

I think that she's thinking '...in order to look at my saddle, he would have had to look at my bottom...'.

Before the new age of PC, she may have thought that anyone looking at her bottom was flattery but now you're just a misogynistic sex pest.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I think that she's thinking '...in order to look at my saddle, he would have had to look at my bottom...'.
    Well obviously. I could see it better if the saddle was a bit higher.

Busy working today. I have to win a million studs playing lego Star Wars for my son so he can buy more characters than his arch nemesis.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

I have an offer for the baling equipment. In fact, I have 2 (without advertising and only a handful of people know we're winding the operation up) so there is some interest already through the network. One of them is due to call me this morning. Do I accept an offer or do I delay it and put the feelers out big time in the hope of a better offer?
    The uncertainty is one that I could do without but the (speculative) extra cash I could do with.

Step back and look at the facts

You've not advertised and have two offers? You're the one with the leverage and both parties will be keen you don't advertise which potentially will drive the price upwards. Just be aware of moving said equipment and if you are selling to a dealer the electrician is qualified and makes the loose wires safe. Yes dealers are that bad. If you have two dealers vying for the machine both are likely to have a client in mind as no dealer buys for stock unless its a bargain price or likely to move quickly. Or both.

You can also play coy and suggest there are a number of offers you have and your thinking of advertising the machine which means you will have a greater opportunity of getting more money and finding the end user.

I'd go out on my bike and let the phone ring.If they're serious they'll still be interested when you return
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Before the new age of PC, she may have thought that anyone looking at her bottom was flattery but now you're just a misogynistic sex pest.
    Would you stop editing your posts so I have to quote you twice!

There is a subtle art to weighing ones prey and adjusting the flattery to suit.... Until the green light comes on and you can go in with all guns blazing :D
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Feel like crap today, sleeping like shit and I've been working up in Argyll for the last few days which involves lots of driving. This morning I've been catching up on emails, questions on all sides and people letting me down which just makes me look bad when my boss wants it right away

Better have a coffee.
  • pinno
    @ Slowmart. Neither are dealers. One is an offer from a voluntary organisation which presents a slight moral dilemma.

No electricians required. The 3 phase leccy was going to cost £3k plus to install and a bucket load of 'Elf and friggin safety thrown in, so we elected for a diesel power plant. It was the right decision. ALL offers have to include transport costs - I have that one covered.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    Feel like crap today, sleeping like shoot and I've been working up in Argyll for the last few days which involves lots of driving. This morning I've been catching up on emails, questions on all sides and people letting me down which just makes me look bad when my boss wants it right away

Better have a coffee.

...But you have lovely scenery up there so stop yer whingeing.

What's the cheapest you can get petrol/diesel in Argyll?
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

No.

There is a subtle art to weighing ones prey and adjusting the flattery to suit.... Until the green light comes on and you can go in with all guns blazing :D

Yes but you fell at the first hurdle in this instance. Don't you think it would have been better to get to know her a little before the saddle comment?
    She has obviously taken the advice as "You think i'm stupid" 'cos that is the roundabout way women look at things, isn't it?
  • Pesky power supply interupting my internetting.

Now we have snow, I do love a good bit of snow as some of you may well know however as far as I'm concerned unless I win some lottery I've not even bought a ticket for picks me as a luck winner, winter and skiing are finished for a year.

It's now all about the bike.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

No.

There is a subtle art to weighing ones prey and adjusting the flattery to suit.... Until the
    green light comes on and you can go in with all guns blazing :D

Yes but you fell at the first hurdle in this instance. Don't you think it would have been
    better to get to know her a little before the
    saddle comment?
    She has obviously taken the advice as "You
    think i'm stupid" 'cos that is the roundabout way women look at things, isn't it?
    The advice was slightly insulting but it's nice to wind up strangers for a bit of devilment. Anyway it's a little tricky flirting with commuters, you'll get one or two muffled words in a day as you whizz pass and then you have to invite them to stop for a chat before sufficient ground work has been laid. If they refuse to stop you have to adjust your commute so as not to bump into them again. It all gets very complicated.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Feel like crap today, sleeping like shoot and I've been working up in Argyll for the last few days which involves lots of driving. This morning I've been catching up on emails, questions on all sides and people letting me down which just makes me look bad when my boss wants it right away

Better have a coffee.

I'm very very lucky, it was absolutely stunning yesterday. Though I tend to forget just how stunning it is when I'm rushing from site to site though, first day in months that I have had up there which wasn't horrific. Loch Fyne and Loch Long had a thin layer of ice on too, the salinity must be way down after the previous 5 months of rain. The scenery is slightly less at the forefront of my mind when I'm climbing directly up a very steep mountain with about a foot between the lower branches and the ground though!

Last I checked diesel was 98p/l at the Jet station just out of Dunoon, I tend to just fill up wherever is easiest as it all goes on my expenses though
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

What do you mean 'now'? :)

Afternoon folks, I also had a ride in of the cold fingers/streaming eyes variety this morning, but at least it was nice and dry and its now properly light when I set off. My latest toy got delivered yesterday, a nice portable bike washer to remove several kilos of Welsh mud from the bike before I actually leave Wales after uplift days.

Flan, I am finishing the interviews for a disposable minion today so if I have any cast offs I'll let you know. Do you have a need for an FX dealing and cash management minion?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    No just somebody who can use IT and isn't a complete retard/work shy.

Hit the stage where I am just avoiding everything. I know it just means I will have to work from home tonight but it saves me a fit of rage.

Ain't you nice leaving Wales in Wales
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    First commute from the new house to a local (ish) branch - 11 miles which is a nice distance, even if it's very cold and I'm unfit

Later is some jobs as we went to the pub last night as I was pedaling this morning
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Feel....coffee.

Last I checked diesel was 98p/l at the Jet station just out of Dunoon, I tend to just fill up wherever is easiest as it all goes on my expenses though

Aaah Dunoon. I remember one summer evening waiting for the ferry to Dunoon from Gourock. The Clyde was a millpond and the sun was just going down at about 9.30pm. Dark enough on the Dunoon side for all the lights to be reflected on the water, it was stunning.
    Once we crossed, I got this smell of petrol and stopped. The fuel pipe had split between the pump and the carbs on the camper. So we sat for hours before finally a mechanic by AA proxy turned up with 2" inch longer length. :roll:
    I carried spare tools and a bucket all the time but didn't carry fuel hose.
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:
    Or leaving whales in wales, which you will appreciate if you come along and join us in the pub in early May. Some of the local ladies - how can I put it - would be well advised not to swim near Norway or Japan.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    Or leaving whales in wales, which you will appreciate if you come along and join us in the pub in early May. Some of the local ladies - how can I put it - would be well advised not to swim near Norway or Japan.

I doubt they can swim
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

I doubt they can swim
    They can probably float.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

I doubt they can swim
    They can probably float.

I think they float your boat. Why else would you want to go to windy wet sheepland all the time?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

I doubt they can swim
    They can probably float.

I think they float your boat. Why else would you want to go to windy wet sheepland all the time?
    Fun. It's a mountain biking thing, you wouldn't understand...
  • pinno
    You mean climbing this (under your own steam) and flying down the other side at 40+ mph wouldn't count as fun?

Odd.

Stelvio.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    You mean climbing this (under your own steam) and flying down the other side at 40+ mph wouldn't count as fun?

Odd.

Stelvio.jpg
    Fair enough. How many times have you done that run?
  • pinno
    Never but like a few other alpine climbs it's a dream.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Never but like a few other alpine climbs it's a dream.
    Based on that idea of fun, I can help end third world starvation by handing out pictures of food to the hungry :wink: