Newbie - MTB buying advice needed

KyleB
KyleB Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

Finally returning to MTB after 11 years :oops:
Kinda been out of the loop with new tech etc and looking for some advice on buying a 2nd hand MTB.

I have found a 2013 Focus Black Forest 29er going for £350
I have not been to see it yet, but what are the general opinions? good deal? a bike worth looking at?

I am looking for a hardtail MTB to do some varying riding, from local trails with the wife, to some more intensive stuff with the local club and some mates.

All comments welcome and appreciated.
Regards,
Kyle

XL2GlG.jpg
wt7abm.jpg

Comments

• For less money, you can currently get a new Calibre Two.Two at Go Outdoors, 330 squids (plus fiver for discount card)!

Granted, it is not a 29er, but still.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't make anything out from those pictures, and no idea of spec.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are five versions of that bike ranging from the 1.0 to the 5.0, so which is it?

The 4.0 and 5.0 use an RST Omega fork which is awful, the 2.0 and 3.0 a Rockshox XC30 which is sort of OK and the 1.0 uses a Reba which is really good....without knowing the model no-one can give meaningful advice.

As its a 29er it's pertinent to know what type of riding it is for?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In that second picture, the bike appears to be lying down on its side with the weight supported on the fork stantion! Not a good way to support the weight of the bike, regardless of whether or not the fork is any good.