The end of cycling

secretsqizz
secretsqizz Posts: 424
edited March 2016 in Road general
disc brakes, motors, head up displays and Rapha kit .. is there anything left that fat rich mamils will not do in their fantasy world of spending on £10kroad or whatever bikes into mopeds just to big up their big fat overbearingness?
What next?
My pen won't write on the screen

Comments

• Bigger engines. Give theirs bikes a proper motor. They could give a new name. Something like Motor - Bike.... :)
  • What next?

Being bothered about it enough to moan on the Internet?

Cycling is simple. Unless your racing your really don't need to worry yourself about what anyone else is doing. Just enjoy what your ride.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    disc brakes, motors, head up displays and Rapha kit .. is there anything left that fat rich mamils will not do in their fantasy world of spending on £10kroad or whatever bikes into mopeds just to big up their big fat overbearingness?
    What next?
    So long as it gives you the chance to feel superior...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow! Major CoS (Chip on Shoulder) alert!

Why is it always 10k bike that gets mentioned?
    Motors are much more MTB (and pro) so nothing really to do with 'Road general'. They are probably quite good in the MTB world too.
    Skinny/young/poor people like disc brakes and Rapha (they are making low end/cost kit now).
    Heads up displays may well just be the future. Early adopters of it are not really relevant to your theme, and they are probably not fat mails anyway.

I am a MAMIL I guess, but have no interest in any of the things you mentioned, and think most of them are in your head anyway.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    What next?

People work to earn money, its their perogative how they spend it.
  • Anonymous
    redvision wrote:
    What next?

Problem is that people want what they have and what others have 8)

It makes them feel better if they can dismiss the things they don't have, rather than just make a plan to get them, or accept they bought other things instead of them.
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2016
    OP missed out road bike suspension.

That would have far more relevance to rich fat MAMILS, and is perhaps a bigger no no for a road bike.

I wonder if the OP has even seen a MAMIL on a 10k bike?
    Sure the odd rich person might do it, but they would also do other weird stuff like that so its not really relevant to cycling.

Is two 5k or three 3.5k bikes allowed?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Carbonator wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    What next?

Problem is that people want what they have and what others have 8)

It makes them feel better if they can dismiss the things they don't have, rather than just make a plan to get them, or accept they bought other things instead of them.

Exactly. Its an unfortunate reality of the world we live in. Envy leads to spite.

I can't afford a Ferrari 458 or a Maclaren P1 but thank god...i mean they are complete and utter rubbish. what a waste of money :lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2016
    Yep, have lived a life of experiencing just that odd reaction.

I have never earned a fortune, but have generally had nice stuff (instead of multiple nights out, expensive holidays and smoking etc. etc.).

Bought a nice watch when I was about 19. The reaction to that was very interesting.
    I was not earning a lot, but just got it on interest free.
    Sold it for exactly what I paid for it and its replacement is probably worth a lot more than I paid for that.

The people that bitched would have blown all that money and more (often on things that harm them), but would still think I was silly.

The really fun part is watching people eventually do exactly what they berated you for doing 8)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I like it when people spend a fortune on bikes. It keeps the bike manufacturers well funded and they in turn keep doing research.

However, I personally like to keep my cycling simple. I have got rid of my carbon frame & di2 and gone back to aluminium with mechanical gears.
  • Anonymous
    Singleton wrote:
    I like it when people spend a fortune on bikes. It keeps the bike manufacturers well funded and they in turn keep doing research.

However, I personally like to keep my cycling simple. I have got rid of my carbon frame & di2 and gone back to aluminium with mechanical gears.

That could be a genuine comment but it sounds envious to me. Call the shoulder surgeon!

Having had a carbon Di2 bike means nothing. They do not cost a 'fortune'. They are just regular bikes.
    I assume your aluminum bike is pretty expensive/high spec? If not it would seem more of a cost decision, than 'keeping things simple'.

Nothing wrong with liking aluminum mechanical shifting, but often people have both (I have no Di2 bikes) rather than seemingly making snide comments about one.

The answer to cycling (and most things in life) is often 'both'.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    neil-on-penny-farthing-300x232.jpg

"Chains, brakes that work,a stupid sized front wheel.... they're not "true cyclists" Grandad Jezza Corbyn 1898.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    What I think is funny is that no-one would blink if the same MAMIL bought a £50k car. If you have the money and choose to spend it on bikes instead of cars, surely that's a good thing? I'm not going to fall into internet boasting, but I will say that I spend far less on bikes now than I spent on cars before. And while I am certainly a MAMIL, I'm no longer fat.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Gotta love the trolls. Cos the OP is a troll right? I mean nothing they own or wanted ever came from the development of expensive toys which were bought by people with varying levels of interest and disposable income which in the end employed lots of people and helped develop more stuff.

What does the moss under the bridge taste like?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Flâneur wrote:
    What does the moss under the bridge taste like?

It's some people's staple diet so don't be prejudicial.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    05b3c51d374884464f82bd2f3b0bcecf.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Whatever. I don't see what effect a fat dude on an expensive bike has on the OP though ? Doesnt matter how expensive the bike is - its all about the rider. Just ride your bike and focus on whats important to you.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Head-up display, needing that, where can I buy one from?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Carbonator wrote:
    The people that bitched would have blown all that money and more (often on things that harm them), but would still think I was silly.

The really fun part is watching people eventually do exactly what they berated you for doing 8)

There aren't many things that are more frustrating than other people thinking they understand your personal finances better than you do, and thinking less of you because of it.

My gf and I are both employed, living in a very cheap area with no real commitments, so what if I want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on bikes and guitars... I tell her
  • pinno
    Flasher wrote:

A Tattoo parlour?
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Dual discs. One on each side of the front fork. It will come to MTB first before CX and then road bikes. They will say that it solves the problem of the fork twisting under braking. Whether that is true or not will be argued and then regardless of what anyone says manufacturers will make them and the UCI will adopt them.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    HaydenM wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    There aren't many things that are more frustrating than other people thinking they understand your personal finances better than you do, and thinking less of you because of it.

I'm the reverse, I love it when people make assumptions about my wealth based on my appearance. To be fair, you'll never get a high end car sales person make that mistake.

Being tight has nothing to do with how much money you have - its in your DNA.
    I was moaning at the wife the other day for wanting a new kitchen - the current one is only 16 years old - wtf is that about? :D
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Flasher wrote:

Yes, watching a movie while in chaingang on British roads! Still not as tempting as motor, where do i get one
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    ddraver wrote:
    05b3c51d374884464f82bd2f3b0bcecf.jpg

actually - trolling (in this sense) comes from a fishing term, not the under the bridge type. fun fact!! :D
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yes but the simpsons havent done Mo as a fisherman yet...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Carbonator wrote:
    That could be a genuine comment but it sounds envious to me. Call the shoulder surgeon!

Having had a carbon Di2 bike means nothing. They do not cost a 'fortune'. They are just regular bikes.
    I assume your aluminum bike is pretty expensive/high spec? If not it would seem more of a cost decision, than 'keeping things simple'.

Nothing wrong with liking aluminum mechanical shifting, but often people have both (I have no Di2 bikes) rather than seemingly making snide comments about one.

The answer to cycling (and most things in life) is often 'both'.

Fair enough, you don't know me so you have no real way of knowing whether the comment was genuine or envy.

I've realized that I can buy bikes that are higher tech or "faster" but they don't give me any more riding enjoyment, and sometime the opposite is true - they actually take something away from the riding experience that I miss.

I'm happy for everyone who rides bikes and enjoys it - I'm not trying to suggest that my choices are somehow better than other peoples - just that they are my choices.
  • My question to the op is .... Does it matter?

Surely you just do ya own thing?
    I've owned nice expensive watches, now I don't own any.
    I've had the odd nice car, now I've got a Skoda.
    I've a mix of Madison, Castelli, Decathlon and Rapha kit.

I'm not a envious person,but if I see tasteful, expensive kit (be it a watch, car or bike) I'll compliment the owner or if I find it a bit gauche I'll keep my trap shut.

It really tickles me how people get upset over a bit of Merino wool or someone else's bike?!?!?
    Just ride!
  • disc brakes, motors, head up displays and Rapha kit .. is there anything left that fat rich mamils will not do in their fantasy world of spending on £10kroad or whatever bikes into mopeds just to big up their big fat overbearingness?
    What next?

Aww didums ! does someone have something you can`t afford ? shame.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • pinno
    My question to the op is .... Does it matter?

Surely you just do ya own thing?
    I've owned nice expensive watches, now I don't own any.
    I've had the odd nice car, now I've got a Skoda.
    I've a mix of Madison, Castelli, Decathlon and Rapha kit.

I'm not a envious person,but if I see tasteful,
    expensive kit (be it a watch, car or bike)
    I'll compliment the owner or if I find it a bit gauche I'll keep my trap shut.

It really tickles me how people get upset over a bit of Merino wool
    or someone else's bike?!?!?
    Just ride!

Is that a rap track?
  • Anonymous
    diy wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I'm the reverse, I love it when people make assumptions about my wealth based on my appearance. To be fair, you'll never get a high end car sales person make that mistake.

Being tight has nothing to do with how much money you have - its in your DNA.
    I was moaning at the wife the other day for wanting a new kitchen - the current one is only 16 years old - wtf is that about? :D

You made a right balls up of that quoting :shock: