Looking for opinions on a cycling related project

Ziggie
Ziggie Posts: 5
edited February 2016 in Road general
Hi everyone! I'm new to this community and would like to introduce myself. Before you stop reading, NO, this is not a sales pitch. I'd simply like to hear your thoughts and opinions on a project my team and I have been working on. Hope I'm not breaking any rules, like I said, this is not an sales pitch.

My name is Ziga and I'm from Slovenia (EU). My friends and I are all cycling enthusiasts and we came up with the idea of recycling discarded inner bicycle tubes by using them to make bicycle bags. As my name suggests, we call it the Ziggie Bag. Design-wise, we went for the type of bag that attaches to the handlebars, so you have it right in front of you at all times. We also added a spot to attach your smart phone and added a powerbank which you can use to recharge your phone or other electronic devices. I don't want to get to technical at this point, since the pictures and video tell most of the story.

What I would kindly like to ask you for are some opinions on our product, our landing page and our video. I'd like to hear your thoughts - the good, the bad, the ugly, we want to hear it all! Any suggestions on how to make our project better would also be much appreciated and I will gladly answer any questions you might have.

With the video we went for the first-person narrative approach – Ziggie Bag tells it's story. The video was shot in Ljubljana (capital city of Slovenia).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUY2IttcAo

We wanted the landing page to be very simple and explain everything in as few words as possible. The layout is straightforward and there's a newsletter application form at the bottom.
http://ziggiebag.weebly.com/
We also have a Facebook page and a Pinterest page if you want to check out photos of the prototypes. We will be uploading more ASAP.
https://www.facebook.com/Ziggie-Bag-712741505515955/
https://www.pinterest.com/ziggiebag/our-product/

We plan to launch a crowdfunding campaingn next month (that's the plan anyway, we'll see how that goes) with a fairly modest goal. On a personal note I'd like to add that as much as we are all cycling enthusiasts, we also share a passion for promoting the importance of recycling and that is just as important to us as the business side of the project. I guess that mentality comes from our upbringing since Slovenia is a small country and therefore has limited natural resources. Either way, we'd like to make our project as appealing as possible. Oh, and a fun fact: Ljubljana is the European Green Capital 2016! Yay for us!
I hope to hear back from as many of you as possible! Thank you in advance!

Ziga

P.S.: Feel free to move this post if this is the wrong board, but I would appreciate one of the mods contacting me if I broke any rules by posting this.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Nope I wouldn't want one of those. Sorry.
  • Webboo wrote:

No problem at all :) I'm sure our design doesn't satisfy everyone's needs. Any specific reason why you would not want one?
  • As a recycling venture it looks pretty clever. Stitching looks good. Perhaps the design could look a little more aerodynamic.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ziggie wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

No problem at all :) I'm sure our design doesn't satisfy everyone's needs. Any specific reason why you would not want one?
    I have never needed a bar bag but it does look rather homemade.
  • Twentytoo wrote:
    As a recycling venture it looks pretty clever. Stitching looks good. Perhaps the design could look a little more aerodynamic.

Thanks! We went thorugh several designs before settling on the current one. Since urban cyclists are probably our target audience, we didn't really dwell on the aerodynamic aspect much. We mainly wanted it to be practical for everyday use and we feel the flat top and cell phone straps are a big part of that. But out of curiosity, any suggestions on how we could improve the design? We're always looking for good ideas on how to improve :)
    Webboo wrote:
    I have never needed a bar bag but it does look rather homemade.

I understand. Inner tubes aren't the easiest material to work with, but more importantly, what we currently have are beat up prototypes that have endured a lot of testing. The wear surely shows :) We are working on new prototypes though that we expect to be even better.
  • It looks great to me - not something for the road bike, but as you say that's not really the target market (you could try posting on the 'Commuter' section, if you haven't already). I'm guessing that you would ultimately look to produce different designs and products if this takes off?

I have seen a similar project that recycles the old fire hoses from the New York FD, and makes them into bags and belts, and this has reduced the need for the NYFD to throw away their old fire hoses (company called Elvis and Kresse) http://elvisandkresse.com/

It's a real shame that there isn't a recycling scheme in the UK for old inner tubes AND worn tyres - it's only for car/lorry tyres at the moment, and I suspect the amount of 'old rubber' from cycling that gets chucked in this country is ridiculous.

Good luck with the Crowdfunding.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have seen a similar project that recycles the old fire hoses from the New York FD, and makes them into bags and belts, and this has reduced the need for the NYFD to throw away their old fire hoses (company called Elvis and Kresse) http://elvisandkresse.com/ .

Well I've just clicked on your link and they say they use old fire hoses, initially from London but now from around the UK...
  • keef66 wrote:
    I have seen a similar project that recycles the old fire hoses from the New York FD, and makes them into bags and belts, and this has reduced the need for the NYFD to throw away their old fire hoses (company called Elvis and Kresse) http://elvisandkresse.com/ .

Well I've just clicked on your link and they say they use old fire hoses, initially from London but now from around the UK...

You're absolutely right, it is the London Fire service - I have no idea why I remembered it as New York! Soz!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm actually quite tempted, finding it's more local. Fancy something with a bit of history.

Love the fact it's only water resistant though!
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    It's not for me (don't use a bar bag) but I quite like the design & what you've done there.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • RichK wrote:
    It's not for me (don't use a bar bag) but I quite like the design & what you've done there.

Thanks!

Small update on the electronics: the LED is 150lm and the powerbank is 5000mAh. However, we're thinking of offering a "standard" model without the electronics. What do you guys think? Would it still be unique enough that way?
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    looks like a good product, great for urban riders, tourers etc. Like to see some more designs, maybe top tube bag ? and/or complimenting seat pack.

One obvious consideration will be your price point? looks stylish but if going for higher price point you need to compete with some very well made products from established brands like Brooks and Carradcie etc?

Option of charging model and standard model would be sensible.

What is it like in the inside, one void or compartments/dividers?

Rather than Velcro some sort of click on click off perhaps?

Oh , and when you come to selling it, perhaps a free inner tube, to start the 'cycle' again :-)

Good luck with the enterprise!
    fay ce que voudres
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Personally i wouldn't buy/use one, but nice to see such recycling projects.
    Best of luck with it.